Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Crowdstrike
    Ucrane
    I have to give MAGA nation props, for essentially juggling two positions in such a short amount of.time.

A week and some change ago they were downplaying the virus because China wasn't reporting new numbers so it showed things were improving and that the media coverage was overblown and hysterical via another Democratic hoax.

Now this week we can't trust China and you and I are staying on message with the CCP and that it's shameful. Not because Trump is a huge doof and moron.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I have to give MAGA nation props, for essentially juggling two positions in such a short amount of.time.

A week and some change ago they were downplaying the virus because China wasn't reporting new numbers so it showed things were improving and that the media coverage was overblown and hysterical via another Democratic hoax.

Now this week we can't trust China and you and I are staying on message with the CCP and that it's shameful. Not because Trump is a huge doof and moron.
    There is no inconsistency. It's a hoax manufactured by the Chinese to try to help the Bidens deflect attention from their collusion with Ucrane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    U.S. hospitals are warning that they are so strapped for cash that without some financial relief, they will be unable to meet their payrolls in a matter of weeks and some could be forced to close just as coronavirus cases are surging.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...source=twitter
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    In the light of the above link
    This interesting read.

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/s...corporate-coup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    U.S. hospitals are warning that they are so strapped for cash that without some financial relief, they will be unable to meet their payrolls in a matter of weeks and some could be forced to close just as coronavirus cases are surging.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...source=twitter
    I would have thought they were experiencing a booming business. This surprises me. Demand booms and you have a cash flow problem? Doesnt add up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    None of this adds up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    None of this adds up
    There is something called accounts receivable that a business can borrow against. I find hard to believe hospitals are not able to do this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    At this pace, the U.S. will pass China as having the most cases in another week. I hear that hospitals in NY are already at the breaking point.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    At this pace, the U.S. will pass China as having the most cases in another week. I hear that hospitals in NY are already at the breaking point.
    Cases data look alarming. Fatalities data offer some hope we will do better than some European countries. We have a gold plated health system. It should be able to produce a relatively good outcome for the people who show up needing intensive care.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    That is if you believe Chinas numbers, which no one should

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    That is if you believe Chinas numbers, which no one should
    After the first week or two my understanding was that the WHO was on the ground in China and for the most part, their representation of the numbers was accurate and transparent, because the statistics were coming from the hospitals, not from official statements, but that could very easily be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Cases data look alarming. Fatalities data offer some hope we will do better than some European countries. We have a gold plated health system. It should be able to produce a relatively good outcome for the people who show up needing intensive care.
    That should hold until they reach full capacity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This was written by Dr. Daniele Macchini. He is an ICU doc in Bergamo, Italy, just northeast of Milan. They are currently on lockdown.

“After much thought about whether and what to write about what's happening to us, I felt silence was not responsible. I will try to convey what we are living thru in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder. I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly 'emptied', elective activities were interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity. I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least. The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.
    The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is 'temporarily' put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are all just doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us. Cases are multiplying, they arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized. Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask, 'What can I do for you now?' Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses and doctors with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny. There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols. Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy. I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    African countries are starting to restrict travel from the U.S.... the ****hole countries want us to keep our diseases away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...avirus-970935/

DoJ asking Congress to allow judges to suspend constitutional rights in times of natural disaster, civil disobedience, or national emergency. Going to get my Hopes up that Democrats dont let this pass. I know Creepy Joe will love this idea. He has never passed up a chance to **** on the constitution.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...y-country.html

There are lots of graphs like this that show the trajectory of the virus for various countries. I think the ones that track cases are not useful as a predictive tool because they are affected by extent of testing. This particular one looks at the trajectory of deaths and is imo more informative and predictive.

It shows the UK and Spain on a worse trajectory than Italy. This is something to watch.

It shows the United States on a trajectory better than most of the European countries but not as good as some Asian countries. However, in recent days the United States trajectory has steepened. Something to worry about.

I would like to see a similar graph that controls for population size. I suppose I could put one together. Maybe later. At this point the raw numbers are useful to look at. But as larger and larger numbers of people become infected, you want to look at fatalities per capita.

Btw the Times coverage of the coronavirus is not behind the paywall, so anyone should be able to access it.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-22-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    There is something called accounts receivable that a business can borrow against. I find hard to believe hospitals are not able to do this.
    "
    The American Hospital Association and three hospital chief executives spanning the country said in a conference call Saturday that a federal directive this week urging the cancellation of elective procedures — to conserve scarce resources for coronavirus patients — is halting the type of services that produce the most revenue.
    And their ability to buy critically needed supplies — from protective gear to more hospital beds — is being stymied by the fact that private vendors are requiring hospitals to pay cash upon delivery, which they say they lack the money to do.
    "

strange days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    "
    The American Hospital Association and three hospital chief executives spanning the country said in a conference call Saturday that a federal directive this week urging the cancellation of elective procedures — to conserve scarce resources for coronavirus patients — is halting the type of services that produce the most revenue.
    And their ability to buy critically needed supplies — from protective gear to more hospital beds — is being stymied by the fact that private vendors are requiring hospitals to pay cash upon delivery, which they say they lack the money to do.
    "

strange days.
    Hmmm...they say elective procedures are "cancelled"...I believe "postponed" is a more accurate term...their overall caseload is going to be increasing sharply the next few weeks...I'm still confused about this financial difficulty they are claiming...seems to be a first world problem compared to what many other businesses are facing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Hmmmm... Rand Paul...a medical doctor who has given aid and comfort to the anti vaxxer

In spite of everything I wish Senator Paul well as he recovers from the coronavirus