Page 379 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 2793293693773783793803813894294798791379 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,580 of 29591

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Hey everyone there is 0 evidence this actually does anything but were gonna mandate you wear it to participate in society

Whatever happened to "my body my choice" people
    Stop disregarding your fellow man Satan
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Stop disregarding your fellow man Satan
    It's just absurd.

People who are scared who wanna wear a mask can do so. If businesses want their customers to wear them, that is their right.

But nsacpi quoting Cuomo is the same as me saying I dont have the right to pass the common cold. There is risk outside of your 4 walls and if you dont wanna take them then stay the **** home and stop dictating how the rest of society must live

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-29-2020), thethe (05-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Here's an article about masking in New England journal of medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...6372?query=TOC

Check this part out...

"...We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic...."
    By the way it is much appreciated that you bring an alternative science-based view on this issue.

One point on the paper you shared. It focuses mainly on the protection wearing a mask gives to the person wearing it. The papers I linked to focus on the protection wearing a mask gives to other people.

Interestingly, the paper you shared does have a brief discussion of the protection given to others but only in a healthcare setting. Here is what it has to say on that:

More compelling is the possibility that wearing a mask may reduce the likelihood of transmission from asymptomatic and minimally symptomatic health care workers with Covid-19 to other providers and patients. This concern increases as Covid-19 becomes more widespread in the community.

From one of the papers I linked we have this:

Masks are very good at blocking larger droplets and not nearly as good at blocking tiny particles. When a person expels droplets into the air, they quickly evaporate and shrink to become tiny airborne particles called droplet nuclei. These are extremely hard to remove from the air. However, in the moist atmosphere between a person's mouth and their mask, it takes nearly a hundred times as long for a droplet to evaporate and shrink into a droplet nuclei.

This means that nearly any kind of simple cloth mask is great for source control. The mask creates humidity, this humidity prevents virus-containing droplets from turning into droplet nuclei, and this allows the fabric of the mask to block the droplets.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the research that was available at the start of this pandemic focused on mask efficacy as PPE. This measure is very important for protecting health care workers, but does not capture their value as source control. On Feb. 29, the U.S. surgeon general tweeted that masks "are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus." This missed the key point: They are extremely effective at preventing its spread, as our review of the literature showed.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Police better go arrest all those protestors they're not all wearing masks and killing their fellow men (the looting is fine, though)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

But nsacpi quoting Cuomo is the same as me saying I dont have the right to pass the common cold.
    The issue of externalities is a tough one for libertarians since almost everything we do has an impact on others. How to get around it. I think a certain amount of ad hoc common sense is needed. Small externalities (common cold) can be ignored. Larger externalities shouldn't be. An infectious disease killing and harming lots of people is a textbook example of a large externality where greater state intervention works for the common good.

And of course social standards on what externalities are acceptable evolve over time and differ from country to country. The French still do not pick up after their dogs. In some parts of India people defecate all over the place. This is slowly changing and many people in India welcome that. The people who still defecate wherever they want might say it is their right to do so.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-29-2020 at 01:57 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Great move to stop all funding to the WHO

Now stop all these trash work visa programs and get America back on track.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    get America back on track.
    we derailed January 20th 2017

hope to have the train back on good tracks November 3rd, 2020 and moving again on January 21st 2021

we shall see though
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    we derailed January 20th 2017

hope to have the train back on good tracks November 3rd, 2020 and moving again on January 21st 2021

we shall see though
    Yeah...all that wave growth for middle to low class workers was terrible. Best in decades.

Obama/Bush/Clinton destroyed the American dream.

Enjoy losing again.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Haven't been able to keep up, but I'm baffled by the whole mask thing. It seems to my simple mind that if I am unsure whether or not I have CoVid-19 and am going out and will be in fairly close in proximity to others and if the virus can be spread thru respiratory droplets, then out of love for my fellow man, I don a mask. When I am no longer around others, I take it off. Is it an inconvenience? I suppose, but relative to the potential harm I could cause, the minor inconvenience is something I'd readily accept. Will I look goofy? Well, I look that way already.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-29-2020), zitothebrave (05-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Haven't been able to keep up, but I'm baffled by the whole mask thing. It seems to my simple mind that if I am unsure whether or not I have CoVid-19 and am going out and will be in fairly close in proximity to others and if the virus can be spread thru respiratory droplets, then out of love for my fellow man, I don a mask. When I am no longer around others, I take it off. Is it an inconvenience? I suppose, but relative to the potential harm I could cause, the minor inconvenience is something I'd readily accept. Will I look goofy? Well, I look that way already.
    Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What about the next bad flu?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    You can extend this logic to any situation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    You can extend this logic to any situation
    Agreed. Maybe we would be a better country if we cared even that much about the people we encounter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Agreed. Maybe we would be a better country if we cared even that much about the people we encounter.
    There is a difference between voluntarily doing something (that is useless) and being mandated from your government overlords.

Why is this so complicated? Why do so many people wish to give up their liberty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We pick up dog poop. Once upon a time we didn't. Progress is a thing.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Why is this even debatable ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    There is a difference between voluntarily doing something (that is useless) and being mandated from your government overlords.

Why is this so complicated? Why do so many people wish to give up their liberty
    I know a couple of you like to keep repeating it, but it is not useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I know a couple of you like to keep repeating it, but it is not useless.
    We just presented a recent study which shows its basically pointless so I'm not sure why its wrong to say they are not effective.
    Last edited by thethe; 05-29-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    We just presented a recent study which shows its basically pointless so I'm not sure why its wrong to say they are not effective.
    Arguably minimal usefulness in a passing interaction. I am personally going to have to spend a lot more time than that with people in the near future with my job starting back up, and they are not going to be required to wear a mask. I have been coughed on more times than I can count, and that is just a normal thing I will encounter on a regular basis. There are many other ways I will be exposed daily.