Page 80 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182901301805801080 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    As I said, I think the admin bungled the initial response but has since been well-above average. The whole clip is good, except of course for Tapper trying to get a political divide soundbite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    This appears... strange behavior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Needs an investigation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Guy in Thailand did some **** like this. Got thrown straight in jail.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/m...kok-lift-video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The whole point is that the experts were using the only data available to make policy decisions. For some reason this is Trumps fault though that China lied to the world.

IT MAKES NO SENSE
    There are no "experts" making policy decisions at the national level. That's the problem. There's only a narcissistic, un-empathetic conman with his BS control knob set on 11.

China knew it had a serious virus problem no later than Dec. and world scientists were watching on HIGH ALERT. They knew that it absolutely would spread beyond China's borders. China manipulating the numbers was a given but didn't change the basic situation. Trump downplayed, happy-talked and did nothing for over 2 months.

There is literally one person responsible for America's still slow-footed response and lack of preparation. And this person is still muddying the waters with his campaign of lies, boasts and misinformation. The GOP shoulders a lot of blame too for not removing the criminal when his crimes were so clear to all. They protected their political party over the well-being of the country and now this.

For people saying we shouldn't be pointing the fingers of blame. Maybe, except that Trump's incompetence is ongoing. And I've got plenty of extra time these days.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    As I said, I think the admin bungled the initial response but has since been well-above average. The whole clip is good, except of course for Tapper trying to get a political divide soundbite

For what it’s worth, I think I mostly agree. The three primary issues I’ve seen with the government’s response are:

1) It took way too ****ing long to get serious. Setting aside the ethical/legal side of those Senators selling off stock a couple months ago, it underscores the message that our government had on it at that time, which increasingly seems to be tracking with what we’ve seen thus far. There’s no way this should have been a surprise. Further, Trump’s public comments really have at times been bad at a time we can’t afford him to be a jackass. I get that to some extent the game is the game in politics, but playing into the narrative that the virus was overhyped as a ploy to take him down has hurt the response in some areas. I’m not expecting Trump to turn into Lincoln here, just not actively be a troll when he’s leading through a major crisis.

2) Perhaps this is an extension of point 1, but for ****’s sake, why is our supply chain on testing and equipment still so poor? When Trump first started talking about the DPA, it was already too late, and it still took a while after to utilize it at all. If the private sector isn’t going to step up enough, force their hand.

3) We still need stronger action to be taken by the federal government to provide oversight on shelter-in-place orders. I understand the concern of federal overreach, but it took until *today* for Florida and Georgia to get on the wagon. Hell, last week not all the states were even closing schools. Everything is too interconnected to have some states take the issue less seriously than others, particularly in states like Florida with major population centers and heavy tourism/travel.

I don’t think that many things would fundamentally have been different in the response in the past two weeks under a different President, but I still think there were some missteps even now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We have one data point where chosen one preferred to believe Putin over the U.S. intelligence community.

It would be unfair to generalize from that and say that he chose to believe Xi over the U.S. intelligence community.

But I think it is fair game to quote his own words: "President Xi loves the people of China, he loves his country and he is doing a very good job with a very tough situation."

And there is this:

President Donald Trump said Friday he is not concerned that China might be covering up the full extent of the coronavirus after speaking on Thursday with China's leader Xi Jinping, who he said has been “strong, sharp and powerfully focused” in his efforts to fight to the spread of the virus.

“No, China's working very hard,” Trump told ABC News' Karen Travers. “Late last night I had a very good talk with President XI and we talked about mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard and I think they're doing a very professional job. They're in touch with the world health organization, CDC also.”

"It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job," Trump said.

all of the above quotes are from February

i've said this before, but chosen one's information filter leaves a lot to be desired
    QFTBS

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    The Federal government should be coordinating the manufacture and distribution of critical supplies to the States, but it doesn't seem to have the political, ethical or moral will to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts

Stockton is the strangest place on earth. This in no way surprises me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    MILAN—In the town of Coccaglio, an hour’s drive east of here, the local nursing home lost over a third of its residents in March. None of the 24 people who died there were tested for the new coronavirus. Nor were the 38 people who died in another nursing home in the nearby town of Lodi.

These aren’t isolated incidents. Italy’s official death toll from the virus stands at 13,155, the most of any country in the world. But that number tells only part of the story because many people who die from the virus don’t make it to the hospital and are never tested.

In the areas worst hit by the pandemic, Italy is undercounting thousands of deaths caused by the virus, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows, indicating that the pandemic’s human toll may end up being much greater, and infections far more widespread, than official data indicate.

“There are many more dead than are officially declared. But this is not a j’accuse. People died and they were never tested because time and resources are limited,” Eugenio Fossati, deputy mayor of Coccaglio, says of deaths caused by the virus.

Italy’s government-run statistical agency on Wednesday reported a nationwide jump in deaths for the first three weeks of March from a year earlier—particularly in northern Italy, where it found the number of deaths more than doubled in over half the hundreds of towns and cities it surveyed.

Nowhere in Italy has been harder hit than Bergamo, a city of about 120,000 people. In March 2019, 125 people died in the city. This March, 553 people died. Of these, 201 deaths were officially attributed to the virus. This leaves 352 further deaths for the period, far higher than normal.

In the wider Bergamo province, which comprises the city and more than 240 small towns and has a total population of 1.1 million, 2,060 people died in March from the virus, according to the official count. But some 4,500 more people died in the province in March than a year earlier, according to a new joint study by the local Eco di Bergamo newspaper and research firm InTwig that took data from 91 towns in the province.

“Other countries that have the good fortune to be seven to 14 days behind us have to use that time to erect defenses,” says Giorgio Gori, Bergamo’s mayor, who estimates the virus has spread so widely in his city that one-third of the population has been infected. “We were first, and we weren’t prepared. Any leaders looking at us and not reacting vigorously will have a lot to answer for.”

Similar situations have played out across the Lombardy region, which accounts for 58% of Italy’s official coronavirus deaths.

In towns around Lombardy, local officials and doctors say the deaths recorded in March are many times the average monthly number. Often, the monthly toll matches deaths that towns normally record over half a year.

People are also dying of other ailments because hospitals are too overloaded with coronavirus cases to give them the treatment they need, doctors and local officials say.

There are signs the lockdown that was imposed on March 8 across Lombardy and two days later on the whole of Italy is beginning to have an effect. The rate of contagion has slowed, and fewer people are being admitted to the hospital. A study by a team of epidemiologists at Imperial College London estimates that Italy’s strict social-distancing measures prevented about 38,000 deaths up to the end of March.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-...ed-11585767179
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-01-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    $45,000 ???

Is that for a whole year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    MILAN—In the town of Coccaglio, an hour’s drive east of here, the local nursing home lost over a third of its residents in March. None of the 24 people who died there were tested for the new coronavirus. Nor were the 38 people who died in another nursing home in the nearby town of Lodi.

These aren’t isolated incidents. Italy’s official death toll from the virus stands at 13,155, the most of any country in the world. But that number tells only part of the story because many people who die from the virus don’t make it to the hospital and are never tested.
    That will be true everywhere as for some the virus can attack hard and fast. The people who die from other ailments and couldn't receive normal treatment will also not be included in the death toll, though they should be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Been to Stockton once, don’t care to go back

Throw that bitch in jail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Does Eduardo Moreno = thethe?

“Man intentionally derailed LA train near hospital ship”

““You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to,” Moreno told investigators, according to the complaint. “People don’t know what’s going on here. Now they will.”

Moreno said he was suspicious of the Mercy and believed it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover, an affidavit states. ”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...-ship-feds-say

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Does Eduardo Moreno = thethe?

“Man intentionally derailed LA train near hospital ship”

““You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to,” Moreno told investigators, according to the complaint. “People don’t know what’s going on here. Now they will.”

Moreno said he was suspicious of the Mercy and believed it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover, an affidavit states. ”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...-ship-feds-say
    Might be Devin Nunes

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/devin-n...inkId=85610377
    Forever Fredi