Page 793 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 2936937437837917927937947958038438931293 ... LastLast
Results 15,841 to 15,860 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Lazy. Selfish. Loser. It goes on and on. I've worked a full-time job since I was 15. The only reason I've climbed out of poverty is because I'm good at poker and have a talent for writing. 2 and 3 generations ago, all you had to do is work yourself out of the hole you put yourself in. Sometimes the hole your parents put you in. Now? There are huge swaths of the country still trying to work their way out of the hole their grandparents put them in. WV is a case ****ing study on that one. Hard work does not always fix those situations, at least not in one generation. These are problems that took generations to form, and you want to act like everything is still new and fresh and a blank slate at birth for everyone. It's not true.
    And in the past you needed to pay to learn. That’s not the case anymore.

The world is literally at your fingertips and if you want to succeed nothing is stopping you.

Let’s also define success. We aren’t talking about millions or even hundreds of thousands a year. However, it is easy to learn the skills necessary to get a 50k+ job. That the start and then you continue to push forward.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I always find it odd the stories of a family literally sacrificing themselves for a generation so the next generation can live a good life is a feel good story to some

Like, they really believe we are on the planet to work
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Working a job and long hours does not make you obese
    No it does not. But it can be a factor. Let's say you work at McDonalds, because they don't want to pay you overtime they cap you at 30 hours. So say you work the opening shift. Say you make 10 an hour. Then say you go work at Burger King for 30 hours a week and they pay you 10 an hour. You're making baiscally enough to get around things. And there's a good chance that unless you're very careful about meal prep you're eating 10 meals a week at these places.

60 hours a week plus let's say it's a 15 minute commute to and from work. So for 10 shifts that's another 5 hours. So we're down to about 100 hours in a week. Let's assume a less than ideal sleep schedule of 6 hours a night. That leaves you with about 60 hours a week. Which sounds like a lot. But say you have kids. You're cooking for them. You have to clean where you live. You're trying to keep your SO happy or get a SO. You quickly whittles that away to nothing and a few "wrong" food choices are huge. Someone with another 10 or 20 hours a week coudl dedicate those to meal prep or exercise.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Its baffling to me that someone says its harder than ever to succeed.

The entire history of human knowledge is a keyboard stroke away. You can travel across the planet in less than a day. You can start a new business in literally one day and be connected to servers to run it. Theres a gym on every corner and unlimited information on how to apply these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    No it does not. But it can be a factor. Let's say you work at McDonalds, because they don't want to pay you overtime they cap you at 30 hours. So say you work the opening shift. Say you make 10 an hour. Then say you go work at Burger King for 30 hours a week and they pay you 10 an hour. You're making baiscally enough to get around things. And there's a good chance that unless you're very careful about meal prep you're eating 10 meals a week at these places.

60 hours a week plus let's say it's a 15 minute commute to and from work. So for 10 shifts that's another 5 hours. So we're down to about 100 hours in a week. Let's assume a less than ideal sleep schedule of 6 hours a night. That leaves you with about 60 hours a week. Which sounds like a lot. But say you have kids. You're cooking for them. You have to clean where you live. You're trying to keep your SO happy or get a SO. You quickly whittles that away to nothing and a few "wrong" food choices are huge. Someone with another 10 or 20 hours a week coudl dedicate those to meal prep or exercise.
    You should have stopped at the first but
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Its baffling to me that someone says its harder than ever to succeed.

The entire history of human knowledge is a keyboard stroke away. You can travel across the planet in less than a day. You can start a new business in literally one day and be connected to servers to run it. Theres a gym on every corner and unlimited information on how to apply these things.
    I did not say it is harder than ever to succeed. Not at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    "With hard work you can do anything" sounds wonderful. It's no longer true. It's just not. .
    Then what does this mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Also, do we have any obese people in here right now? I'm curious to get their point of view on this. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to expose yourself to the bigotry, but thought I would throw it out there just in case.
    I was at one time. 5'11, 215...

Decided I didn't like that anymore. Started eating less. Intermittent fasting. Started lifting weights. Started sprinting. Got in BSOML.

It was hard. It took time. It was possible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Then what does this mean?
    It is about a segment of the population starting out in poverty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Decided I didn't like that anymore. Started eating less. Intermittent fasting. Started lifting weights. Started sprinting. Got in BSOML.

I believe that qualifies under overweight on the official charts, not obese. It is just shy of it. Still, glad you were able to work out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Super sciency... 12k would be too dangerous

#science

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Oh, yeah. My question. Were you overweight because you were lazy and selfish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Oh, yeah. My question. Were you overweight because you were lazy and selfish?
    Yes.

I sat around all day making up every excuse to not work out and I ate like **** bc of convenience.

Also drank a ton of ipa beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Yes.

I sat around all day making up every excuse to not work out and I ate like **** bc of convenience.

Also drank a ton of ipa beer
    So what changed that stopped you from being lazy and selfish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    So what changed that stopped you from being lazy and selfish?
    I didn't like the way I looked. My dad died of health problems and I didn't wanna go down the same road. I also had less energy, etc.

It is easy to go in a cycle... being fat made me lose energy, which made me not want to work out, which made me fatter. Getting fatter was demoralizing so i turned to comfort food.

I had to get in the right mental space to get out of it. Nobody is saying it is easy but it is within your own control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I didn't like the way I looked. My dad died of health problems and I didn't wanna go down the same road. I also had less energy, etc.

It is easy to go in a cycle... being fat made me lose energy, which made me not want to work out, which made me fatter. Getting fatter was demoralizing so i turned to comfort food.

I had to get in the right mental space to get out of it. Nobody is saying it is easy but it is within your own control
    Not everyone is coming from the same place. A lot of things are within our own control. Some things are not. That is a simple fact. So when was this? How long ago did you stop being lazy and selfish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Not everyone is coming from the same place. A lot of things are within our own control. Some things are not. That is a simple fact. So when was this? How long ago did you stop being lazy and selfish?
    I dont know why you insist on making excuses for people.

I was in good shape in college and played baseball. Graduated... stopped playing sports and working out. Gradually gained weight 180 to 215 over the course of several years. Decided in 2019 enough was enough and changed for the better. Lost 35 lbs and got extremely muscular.

Then put on weight again at the beginning of covid lockdowns til I notice and got right again late in the summer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Also, did you just stop being lazy and selfish in regards to the issues that affected how you felt about yourself? Did this carry over into how you felt about and treated others, or do you still find yourself lazy and selfish in that regard? If not, what changed in that department to stop you from being lazy and selfish when it comes to things that have no bearing on yourself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I think I'm done with this q and a session.

You asked a question. I answered it. Being fat is a choice for the vast majority of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I dont know why you insist on making excuses for people.

I was in good shape in college and played baseball. Graduated... stopped playing sports and working out. Gradually gained weight 180 to 215 over the course of several years. Decided in 2019 enough was enough and changed for the better. Lost 35 lbs and got extremely muscular.

Then put on weight again at the beginning of covid lockdowns til I notice and got right again late in the summer
    I am not making excuses for anyone. I am trying to understand the issue completely, not a small part of it that is easier to wrap my mind around. This is a nuanced problem. It most likely requires a comparatively nuanced approach to address it.