Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 29591

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's just more of the same from the establisment. They've gotten every big event wrong for decades. Thought Trump would be different. Never been more disappointed in his administration than I am now.
    He is too easily manipulated. To be fair, it has to be tough getting railroaded by everyone all the time, but our leaders are elected to make tough decisions and he has been impotent in the face of the medical community

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm quite convinced we are throwing ourselves into a depression on the basis of bad data.

This will take years to climb out of, and a **** ton of new government control
    Silver lining take...

It’s good for society to get punched in the face now and again. It exposes the faults in our leadership structures and reminds industry the importance of planning for risk. All things considered, we are very lucky that COVID is the wake up call and something more fatal.

Edit: hopefully it wakes the world up to the evils of the CCP. I doubt it though.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 04-04-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Silver lining take...

It’s good for society to get punched in the face now and again. It exposes the faults in our leadership structures and reminds industry the importance of planning for risk. All things considered, we are very lucky that COVID is the wake up call and something more fatal.
    Much like 9/11 leading to massive loss of liberty, the NSA, TSA, DHS, and 2 infinity wars, I fear what this will lead to.

Government tracking our movements to ensure we are keeping distance. I've read movie theaters saying things like taking people's temperature permentantly... limits on congregations? The federal government taking means of PPE production? This could easily go all sorts of ways.

And now that we will go through a depression, the government will 'need' to step in to take this control

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Much like 9/11 leading to massive loss of liberty, the NSA, TSA, DHS, and 2 infinity wars, I fear what this will lead to.

Government tracking our movements to ensure we are keeping distance. I've read movie theaters saying things like taking people's temperature permentantly... limits on congregations? The federal government taking means of PPE production? This could easily go all sorts of ways.

And now that we will go through a depression, the government will 'need' to step in to take this control
    Possible and certainly will happen in some specific cases.

But the inverse is I think finally we are going to get bipartisan agreement on the dangers of bureaucracy, increased attention on emergency preparedness, there will be massive amounts of private investment in medical research, increased awareness by the general research in the importance of vaccines and hygiene (the flu will never just be the flu again), etc etc. Society will change in a lot of positive ways due to COVID.

And like I said in my previous post. It’s important for society not too be asleep. A lot of bad things have been happening in China and our government institutions for years, but we have had no real reason not to trust them. Now we should know better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Let's assume everything is above board.

What is the end game here? Do they have a plan or strategy to start unwinding this?

The fact they havent said one leads me to think the shelter in place will continue. But we deserve to know criteria they need to see to where we can start resuming our lives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Possible and certainly will happen in some specific cases.

But the inverse is I think finally we are going to get bipartisan agreement on the dangers of bureaucracy, increased attention on emergency preparedness, there will be massive amounts of private investment in medical research, increased awareness by the general research in the importance of vaccines and hygiene (the flu will never just be the flu again), etc etc. Society will change in a lot of positive ways due to COVID.

And like I said in my previous post. It’s important for society not too be asleep. A lot of bad things have been happening in China and our government institutions for years, but we have had no real reason not to trust them. Now we should know better.
    I think bi partisan support is a wildly optimistic take. On this very board, sav, goldy, runnin, 57, carp, et all, can only see one person to blame, despite all the evidence to the contrary that literally everyone ****ed up. It's all on the orange man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Vermont not letting people buy seeds.

Hawaii arresting someone for... being alone?

****ing dystopia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Our hospital is at max capacity and admitting mire than discharging.
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (04-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The left has fully gone insane. What we are seeing it scary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Our hospital is at max capacity and admitting mire than discharging.
    There are areas that are getting hit hard. Nobody is dismissing that people are dying and health care workers are stretched as thin as can be. But there are so many factors that go into making a decision of shutting down a country.

So far it doesnt seem to have been worth it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I think bi partisan support is a wildly optimistic take. On this very board, sav, goldy, runnin, 57, carp, et all, can only see one person to blame, despite all the evidence to the contrary that literally everyone ****ed up. It's all on the orange man.
    Message board posters =/= sampling of society

It takes a special type of crazy to post anonymously about Ozzie Albies unsustainable HR/FB%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    There are areas that are getting hit hard. Nobody is dismissing that people are dying and health care workers are stretched as thin as can be. But there are so many factors that go into making a decision of shutting down a country.

So far it doesnt seem to have been worth it.
    People are stupid. Unless you tether them down, they will continue to play loose with exposing others.

Those areas that are hit hard will expose other communities too if not sheltered in place.
    To think otherwise is naive.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 04-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Was just chatting with my neighbor. He told me his mother, who I know a bit, has been taken from a nursing to a hospital in the Bronx. First test was negative. Second one positive. She has had a lot of health problems the past two years.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    WaPo has a long piece about the response to the virus. A snippet:

It may never be known how many thousands of deaths, or millions of infections, might have been prevented with a response that was more coherent, urgent and effective. But even now, there are many indications that the administration’s handling of the crisis had potentially devastating consequences.

Even the president’s base has begun to confront this reality. In mid-March, as Trump was rebranding himself a wartime president and belatedly urging the public to help slow the spread of the virus, Republican leaders were poring over grim polling data that suggested Trump was lulling his followers into a false sense of security in the face of a lethal threat.

The poll showed that far more Republicans than Democrats were being influenced by Trump’s dismissive depictions of the virus and the comparably scornful coverage on Fox News and other conservative networks. As a result, Republicans were in distressingly large numbers refusing to change travel plans, follow “social distancing” guidelines, stock up on supplies or otherwise take the coronavirus threat seriously.

“Denial is not likely to be a successful strategy for survival,” GOP pollster Neil Newhouse concluded in a document that was shared with GOP leaders on Capitol Hill and discussed widely at the White House. Trump’s most ardent supporters, it said, were “putting themselves and their loved ones in danger.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...n/?arc404=true

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Was just chatting with my neighbor and his mother, who I know a bit, has been taken from a nursing to a hospital in the Bronx. Tested positive. She has had a lot of health problems the past two years.
    Chat at really safe distance or with a mask on... much more thought it’s more airborne than once believed.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    From the article:

On Jan. 29, Mulvaney chaired a meeting in the White House Situation Room in which officials debated moving travel restrictions to “Level 4,” meaning a “do not travel” advisory from the State Department. Then, the next day, China took the draconian step of locking down the entire Hubei province, which encompasses Wuhan.

That move by Beijing finally prompted a commensurate action by the Trump administration. On Jan. 31, Azar announced restrictions barring any non-U.S. citizen who had been in China during the preceding two weeks from entering the United States.

Trump has, with some justification, pointed to the China-related restriction as evidence that he had responded aggressively and early to the outbreak. It was among the few intervention options throughout the crisis that played to the instincts of the president, who often seems fixated on erecting borders and keeping foreigners out of the country.

But by that point, 300,000 people had come into the United States from China over the previous month. There were only 7,818 confirmed cases around the world at the end of January, according to figures released by the World Health Organization — but it is now clear that the virus was spreading uncontrollably.

Pottinger was by then pushing for another travel ban, this time restricting the flow of travelers from Italy and other nations in the European Union that were rapidly emerging as major new nodes of the outbreak. Pottinger’s proposal was endorsed by key health-care officials, including Fauci, who argued that it was critical to close off any path the virus might take into the country.

This time, the plan met with resistance from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and others who worried about the impact on the U.S. economy. It was an early sign of tension in an area that would split the administration, pitting those who prioritized public health against those determined to avoid any disruption in an election year to the run of expansion and employment growth.

Those backing the economy prevailed with the president. And it was more than a month before the administration issued a belated and confusing ban on flights into the United States from Europe. Hundreds of thousands of people crossed the Atlantic during that interval.

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (04-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The CDC’s success had fostered an institutional arrogance, a sense that even in the face of a potential crisis there was no pressing need to involve private labs, academic institutions, hospitals and global health organizations also capable of developing tests.

Yet some were concerned that the CDC test would not be enough. Stephen Hahn, the FDA commissioner, sought authority in early February to begin calling private diagnostic and pharmaceutical companies to enlist their help.

But when senior FDA officials consulted leaders at HHS, Hahn, who had led the agency for about two months, was told to stand down. There were concerns about him personally contacting companies regulated by his agency.

At that point, Azar, the HHS secretary, seemed committed to a plan he was pursuing that would keep his agency at the center of the response effort: securing a test from the CDC and then building a national coronavirus surveillance system by relying on an existing network of labs used to track the ordinary flu.

In task force meetings, Azar and Redfield pushed for $100 million to fund the plan, but were shot down because of the cost, according to a document outlining the testing strategy obtained by The Washington Post.

Relying so heavily on the CDC would have been problematic even if it had succeeded in quickly developing an effective test that could be distributed across the country. The scale of the epidemic, and the need for mass testing far beyond the capabilities of the flu network, would have overwhelmed the plan, which didn’t envision engaging commercial lab companies for up to six months.

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Was just chatting with my neighbor and his mother, who I know a bit, has been taken from a nursing to a hospital in the Bronx. Tested positive. She has had a lot of health problems the past two years.
    Just tell them that thethe and sturg say it’s fake and nothing to worry about and and it’s time to get back to work
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The scarcity of effective tests led officials to impose constraints on when and how to use them, and delayed surveillance testing. Initial guidelines were so restrictive that states were discouraged from testing patients exhibiting symptoms unless they had traveled to China and come into contact with a confirmed case, when the pathogen had by that point almost certainly spread more broadly into the general population.

The limits left top officials largely blind to the true dimensions of the outbreak.

In a meeting in the Situation Room in mid-February, Fauci and Redfield told White House officials that there was no evidence yet of worrisome person-to-person transmission in the United States. In hindsight, it appears almost certain that the virus was taking hold in communities at that point. But even the country’s top experts had little meaningful data about the domestic dimensions of the threat. Fauci later conceded that as they learned more their views changed.

At the same time, the president’s subordinates were growing increasingly alarmed, Trump continued to exhibit little concern. On Feb. 10, he held a political rally in New Hampshire attended by thousands where he declared that “by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”

The New Hampshire rally was one of eight that Trump held after he had been told by Azar about the coronavirus, a period when he also went to his golf courses six times.

A day earlier, on Feb. 9, a group of governors in town for a black-tie gala at the White House secured a private meeting with Fauci and Redfield. The briefing rattled many of the governors, bearing little resemblance to the words of the president. “The doctors and the scientists, they were telling us then exactly what they are saying now,” Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said.

That month, federal medical and public health officials were emailing increasingly dire forecasts among themselves, with one Veterans Affairs medical adviser warning, ‘We are flying blind,’” according to emails obtained by the watchdog group American Oversight.

Later in February, U.S. officials discovered indications that the CDC laboratory was failing to meet basic quality-control standards. On a Feb. 27 conference call with a range of health officials, a senior FDA official lashed out at the CDC for its repeated lapses.

Jeffrey Shuren, the FDA’s director for devices and radiological health, told the CDC that if it were subjected to the same scrutiny as a privately run lab, “I would shut you down.”

On Feb. 29, a Washington state man became the first American to die of a coronavirus infection. That same day, the FDA released guidance, signaling that private labs were free to proceed in developing their own diagnostics.

Another four-week stretch had been squandered.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-04-2020 at 01:45 PM.

"I am your retribution."