Page 621 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 1215215716116196206216226236316717211121 ... LastLast
Results 12,401 to 12,420 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Total for the 6 non-American countries 2,872.

Collectively they have a larger population than we do.

Even with the upswing in cases and deaths in Europe and Canada, more Americans are dying per capita than in our peer countries. The gap since May has been yawning. It has narrowed some in recent weeks, but is still quite large.
    Nom nom nom fast food.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Nom nom nom fast food.
    Yeah. I think when the dust settles, there will be some careful studies that adjust for things like obesity rates. That will allow us better insight for how countries did. There are some other variables though that should be working in our favor. We have less population density than every comparable country on the list except for Canada. I would guess that population density more than offsets the effects of higher obesity rates.

Then there are other variables like average size of households, age structure of the population. For the most part we have a younger population than the European countries on the list.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    What I dont get is how a brilliant, sophisticated, non toothless society like France who also implemented a strict nationwide mask mandate since August is having this explosion in cases.
    I assume because, just like here, a ton of people not complying with mask mandates and other health guidelines like social distancing because those are "Stripping muh rites!!!" instead of just, you know, complying to help their fellow man. I know every time I go out, I only see about half the people actually wearing masks. And sometimes, people just forget. I know I have on multiple occasions.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-19-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Switzerland getting hit hard. They had a record number of 1500+ cases a week ago. Today they had 8,737, which is 1,016 per million. In the US, this would be 335,257 cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Switzerland getting hit hard. They had a record number of 1500+ cases a week ago. Today they had 8,737, which is 1,016 per million. In the US, this would be 335,257 cases.
    Strange that the CCP is not the true villain in the COVID-19 story.

Somehow they've convinced the Liberal world that its solely on Trump.

Crazy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Let's see how long this study can be freely shared on around the big tech platforms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Let's see how long this study can be freely shared on around the big tech platforms

Its getting tiresome vetting everything you and thethe post. If you clicked the link and read the study it shows 97% penetration of cloth masks and lists reason for it such as being reused more often and shows that there is only 44% penetration of medical masks. I would say cutting the chances of getting the virus by more than half is a pretty big deal. This study was also done in 2015, I dont know if theres a difference between the virus they tested and COVID. I am going to assume there is no difference. Heres what the people who did this study said about their study as it related to COVID.

"Critical shortages of personal protective equipment (PPE) have resulted in the US Centers for Disease Control downgrading their recommendations for health workers treating COVID-19 patients from respirators to surgical masks and finally to home-made cloth masks. As authors of the only published randomised controlled clinical trial of cloth masks, we have been getting daily emails about this from health workers concerned about using cloth masks. The study found that cloth mask wearers had higher rates of infection than even the standard practice control group of health workers, and the filtration provided by cloth masks was poor compared to surgical masks. At the time of the study, there had been very little work done in this space, and so little thought into how to improve the protective value of the cloth masks. Until now, most guidelines on PPE did not even mention cloth masks, despite many health workers in Asia using them.

Health workers are asking us if they should wear no mask at all if cloth masks are the only option. Our research does not condone health workers working unprotected. We recommend that health workers should not work during the COVID-19 pandemic without respiratory protection as a matter of work health and safety. In addition, if health workers get infected, high rates of staff absenteeism from illness may also affect health system capacity to respond. Some health workers may still choose to work in inadequate PPE. In this case, the physical barrier provided by a cloth mask may afford some protection, but likely much less than a surgical mask or a respirator.

It is important to note that some subjects in the control arm wore surgical masks, which could explain why cloth masks performed poorly compared to the control group. We also did an analysis of all mask wearers, and the higher infection rate in cloth mask group persisted. The cloth masks may have been worse in our study because they were not washed well enough – they may become damp and contaminated. The cloth masks used in our study were products manufactured locally, and fabrics can vary in quality. This and other limitations were also discussed.

There are now numerous reports of health workers wearing home made cloth masks, or re-using disposable mask and respirators, and asking for guidance. If health workers choose to work in these circumstances, guidance should be given around the use.

There have been a number of laboratory studies looking at the effectiveness of different types of cloth materials, single versus multiple layers and about the role that filters can play. However, none have been tested in a clinical trial for efficacy. If health workers choose to work using cloth masks, we suggest that they have at least two and cycle them, so that each one can be washed and dried after daily use. Sanitizer spray or UV disinfection boxes can be used to clean them during breaks in a single day. These are pragmatic, rather than evidence-based suggestions, given the situation.

Finally for COVID-19, wearing a mask is not enough to protect healthcare workers – use of gloves and goggles are also required as a minimum, as SARS-CoV-2 may infect not only through the respiratory route, but also through contact with contaminated surfaces and self-contamination.

Governments and hospitals should plan and stockpile proper disposable products such as respirators and surgical masks to ensure the occupational health and safety of health workers. This appears to have been a failure in many countries, including high income countries."
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    no wonder this country is still failing at everything

still bitching about masks and trying convince people they aren't helpful

ffs
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Its getting tiresome vetting everything you and thethe post. If you clicked the link and read the study it shows 97% penetration of cloth masks and lists reason for it such as being reused more often and shows that there is only 44% penetration of medical masks. I would say cutting the chances of getting the virus by more than half is a pretty big deal. This study was also done in 2015, I dont know if theres a difference between the virus they tested and COVID. I am going to assume there is no difference. Heres what the people who did this study said about their study as it related to COVID.

"Critical shortages of personal protective equipment (PPE) have resulted in the US Centers for Disease Control downgrading their recommendations for health workers treating COVID-19 patients from respirators to surgical masks and finally to home-made cloth masks. As authors of the only published randomised controlled clinical trial of cloth masks, we have been getting daily emails about this from health workers concerned about using cloth masks. The study found that cloth mask wearers had higher rates of infection than even the standard practice control group of health workers, and the filtration provided by cloth masks was poor compared to surgical masks. At the time of the study, there had been very little work done in this space, and so little thought into how to improve the protective value of the cloth masks. Until now, most guidelines on PPE did not even mention cloth masks, despite many health workers in Asia using them.

Health workers are asking us if they should wear no mask at all if cloth masks are the only option. Our research does not condone health workers working unprotected. We recommend that health workers should not work during the COVID-19 pandemic without respiratory protection as a matter of work health and safety. In addition, if health workers get infected, high rates of staff absenteeism from illness may also affect health system capacity to respond. Some health workers may still choose to work in inadequate PPE. In this case, the physical barrier provided by a cloth mask may afford some protection, but likely much less than a surgical mask or a respirator.

It is important to note that some subjects in the control arm wore surgical masks, which could explain why cloth masks performed poorly compared to the control group. We also did an analysis of all mask wearers, and the higher infection rate in cloth mask group persisted. The cloth masks may have been worse in our study because they were not washed well enough – they may become damp and contaminated. The cloth masks used in our study were products manufactured locally, and fabrics can vary in quality. This and other limitations were also discussed.

There are now numerous reports of health workers wearing home made cloth masks, or re-using disposable mask and respirators, and asking for guidance. If health workers choose to work in these circumstances, guidance should be given around the use.

There have been a number of laboratory studies looking at the effectiveness of different types of cloth materials, single versus multiple layers and about the role that filters can play. However, none have been tested in a clinical trial for efficacy. If health workers choose to work using cloth masks, we suggest that they have at least two and cycle them, so that each one can be washed and dried after daily use. Sanitizer spray or UV disinfection boxes can be used to clean them during breaks in a single day. These are pragmatic, rather than evidence-based suggestions, given the situation.

Finally for COVID-19, wearing a mask is not enough to protect healthcare workers – use of gloves and goggles are also required as a minimum, as SARS-CoV-2 may infect not only through the respiratory route, but also through contact with contaminated surfaces and self-contamination.

Governments and hospitals should plan and stockpile proper disposable products such as respirators and surgical masks to ensure the occupational health and safety of health workers. This appears to have been a failure in many countries, including high income countries."
    99% of people are not wearing n95 masks.

They are wearing cloth masks.

There is supposedly a study this summer done on its effectiveness against covid but for some reason the research body continues not to release the results

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    no wonder this country is still failing at everything

still bitching about masks and trying convince people they aren't helpful

ffs
    yeah. Same as Europe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts

There is supposedly a study this summer done on its effectiveness against covid but for some reason the research body continues not to release the results

I wish you used that logic about why people wouldnt release something more often. If you want to say cloth masks dont help and we need to all be using medical masks thats fine and in no way misleading.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Man, whatever could that reason be?

Hmm.....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    How about the virus is really contagious, unpredictable and hard to control? Ya know, like in a pandemic.
    Wait.

You dont say!

Not possible. I'm reliably informed by the (next) President that literally all US lives would have been saved if it were not for Donal Trump.

Yes, he did indeed say that.

(No, it was not censored as misinformation)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Trump wont release his taxes - nothing to see

Trump wont release his school transcripts - nothing to see

Trump refuses to testify under oath on 1000 different matters - nothing to see

Trump orders witnesses not to testify - nothing to see

Someone hasnt released a COVID study - GET THE PITCHFORKS!

It’s over."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    people going to jail for lying about meetings with russians - nothing was happening you idiots
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Wait.

You dont say!

Not possible. I'm reliably informed by the (next) President that literally all US lives would have been saved if it were not for Donal Trump.

Yes, he did indeed say that.

(No, it was not censored as misinformation)

You are trying very hard to not understand something very simple.

It’s over."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-19-2020), nsacpi (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Trump wont release his taxes - nothing to see

Trump wont release his school transcripts - nothing to see

Trump refuses to testify under oath on 1000 different matters - nothing to see

Trump orders witnesses not to testify - nothing to see

Someone hasnt released a COVID study - GET THE PITCHFORKS!
    trumps taxes impact my life literally zero.

Daddy government dictating that i can only participate in society if i cover my face needs to be backed up by some evidence.

Remember when you liked freedom?

Lol trump broke you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    I also remember when there wasnt a pandemic 9/11ing the country every day. What I dont recall is any pandemic under any other President in my 40 years on this Earth that was handled so badly that we are in this situation.

I know you are as well versed in Libertarian and the NAP if not more, but where does the NAP fit when my actions could give you a deadly virus? The evidence or lack thereof that you posted with that study includes the people who conducted it supporting wearing masks. Even cloth ones. I told you what I support which is a President who gives a consistent message to the American people about what we need to do and ask for voluntarily compliance. I do not support in any way fining or using the police to deal with people who dont have masks.

As far as being broke, the only person Trump broke was himself. In fact he would have more money if he was broke instead of in massive debt.

It’s over."