Page 465 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 3654154554634644654664674755155659651465 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,300 of 29591

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Republican Party of Texas is suing the city of Houston and Mayor Sylvester Turner (D) for breach of contract after he canceled the party’s in-person convention due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Texas GOP claims the decision is politically motivated and requested the George R. Brown Convention Center be forced to adhere to the contract. It asked for a temporary restraining order to keep the city from restricting the convention center’s events.

“Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner’s use of the force majeure clause is just a pretext to his intent to treat the Republican Party of Texas differently than other groups, such as those we have seen from recent protests in the city of Houston,” Republican Party of Texas Chairman James Dickey said in a statement. “It should go without saying that a political viewpoint cannot be the basis for unequal treatment."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...PENCCN6A3ZQCW4
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    From my friend who is a doctor working on the front lines of this thing in Colorado:

“COVID Update 7/9: The Myth of COVID Profiteering

Lately a lot of really harmful stuff has been spread on the internet about how doctors are "forced" to put COVID on death certificates, or how we doctors are getting kickbacks to say someone has COVID to boost numbers. All of this is usually wrapped up in a desire to divert attention away from COVID (likely because the reality is so stark and miserable), or to obfuscate and justify behaviors which are irresponsible during a pandemic.

Here is an example of what people have been writing: "My sister-in-law's husband died of a massive heart attack on April 3rd and they reported it as COVID. I knew since then that something was wrong and of course paying attention to media as proof...the government is not going to send the GAO after this to verify that the money was spent correctly."

Here's another gem..."2 things: 1. I talked to a guys who said they are paying and forcing doctors to sign all deaths as COVID. 2. A man reported he took his elderly mom in. She fell and hit her head. She did die. They put death as COVID and when my brother came in they wouldn't let him in."

Let's sort some of this out...

Sadly part of my job is to perform a death certificate on patients who die from natural causes. My work is then sent to a nosologist (they actually don't knows-all-agist ;)..doctor humor) for classification and ultimately recording for official numbers.

I'll start by addressing head on the BS about us getting paid to put COVID on the death certificate. Let me explain what the government did to help hospitals out during COVID. All hospitals live and die by elective surgeries--they are usually insurance pre-approved and basically bank roll the rest of the hospital. Most of the things patients get admitted for (heart attacks, cancer, etc) are money losers. If we don't have the elective surgeries, hospitals would go bankrupt.

Early in the COVID crisis it became clear that all hospitals would need to stop all elective surgeries to preserve PPE and to shunt anesthesia ventilators in the service of COVID patients. EVERY HOSPITAL NATIONALLY WOULD GO BANKRUPT WERE IT NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT BACKSTOPPING THIS. To that end, if a hospital was willing to accept COVID patients, the government paid hospitals a certain amount. That did not stop the bleeding--hospitals lost billions during the pandemic, but it did keep solvency.

OK...next...labeling patients as COVID. WE DO NOT AS DOCTORS GET COMPENSATED FOR PUTTING COVID IN A DIAGNOSIS LIST. This is the stupidest claim I've seen and it's utter BS. There is no direct or indirect pressure to label a death as being COVID. I see these things and I want to strangle people. No one is pressured (except to under-report in states like FL)--almost all doctors perform their jobs ethically and accurately.

How does cause of death work? First of all, the way the death certificate is written is you must list the most proximate cause of death first, then what caused that cause, then what caused that cause.

So, for example, cardiac arrest is not a cause of death--it is a mechanism of death. However, heart attack is a cause of death and it is caused from atherosclerosis which is caused from hyperlipidemia. This looks like this on a death certificate:

A. Cause of death: Myocardial Infarction (Occurred <5 days of death)
    B. Caused by: Atherosclerosis (Occurred 10 years prior to death)
    C. Caused by: Hyperlipidemia (Occurred 10 years prior to death)

Then there's a section for other medical conditions that contributed to death (such as anemia, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, etc).

Let's take a look at COVID. COVID causes a lot of problems that lead to death. From strokes, to heart attacks, respiratory failure, and multiorgan failure. Depending upon what caused the death in COVID, that would be labeled first in almost all circumstances.

If a person is dying from cancer (as one of the posts above noted) and their clinical condition WORSENED when they got COVID, then COVID is the cause of death and cancer is listed in the "other medical conditions" section. COVID literally caused the patient to die sooner than they would have from cancer. It would be better to list "Multifocal Pneumonia" as cause A and COVID as cause B, but regardless, if the condition resulted in death faster than the underlying illness, that's why COVID is listed.

Another one--a young person comes in with cardiac arrest and dies. Autopsy only finds COVID but no other cause of death. Therefore, COVID is the ONLY cause of death and appropriately is labelled that way. We do the same thing with influenza, or any other infectious disease.

Here's another thing to know: autopsies only reveal the exact cause of death 10% of the time. They aren't like CSI. The net result is it is up to the clinician to do their best.

We are seeing patients die inexplicably from conditions they normally would not be at risk for. Teenagers dying from strokes (a COVID complication), 20-somethings dying from heart attacks (another COVID complication). COVID is the secondary cause in those cases (listed as "B" above).

The biggest problem is having consensus which diseases are COVID-related when someone dies. Which leads to biases based on the doctors signing the death certificates. Some don't believe COVID caused the deaths, others think all deaths are COVID. It's a very fallible system, sadly. Overall, I believe that across the country the average number of deaths reported zeroes out most of the bias.

That people think COVID isn't doing these things is unfortunately fiction. COVID causes diffuse manifestations and sudden death. All of the examples I saw above are examples where COVID should be on the death certificate.

Please stop spreading misinformation like there's a huge cover up going on. Over 135,000 people have died from COVID in the US. For that to be due to "forcing" and "coercion" financially or otherwise would require a cover up of an order not even possible. Physicians take oaths to uphold standards of care--not all physicians are ethical, but almost all are. Please don't continue to damage the largest global health emergency in modern history with hearsay and BS.”

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-09-2020), BedellBrave (07-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Governor Gretchen Whitmer
    @GovWhitmer
    ·
    29m
    I want to make this clear — I will not send our kids and our education workforce

into our schools unless it is safe to do so, plain and simple. I have made decisions

based on science and facts to keep Michiganders safe since the beginning,

and won’t stop now.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Back in Dec I had a student returning to Japan from New Zealand, where he had been homestaying for 2 weeks and attending an English school with other students from all over Asia, mostly Chinese. He became sick during his stay and on the plane ride home he developed a high fever with chills. He went straight to the hospital from the airport and was diagnosed as having Kawasaki disease. I saw him about a week later when he finally came home. A few days after that I came down with severe chills and a fever. I shook uncontrollably for an afternoon, went to bed early and the next day was fine.

This was all before talk of coronavirus and I had almost forgotten about it. Dunno what it means, but that happened.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    We will see how attentive nsacpi is when deaths dont materially spike over the next 3 weeks.

We will still here the 2 weeks line.
    And then this post

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    #science

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    #science

Wow.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I mean this whole thread is full of thethe conspiracies
    and he denies reading all the sources and people who feed the exact bull**** he spews here
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i think that is where FB would say "how many times are you going to post that"

if the tables were turned
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    #science

Smh

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Tyrant Whitmer strikes again.

I'm very reminded how she protested hand in hand, with many people not wearing masks just a few weeks ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Wow New York has done a really amazing job on this. Other states should follow their lead

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Tyrants gonna tyrant.

I know shes your hero

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm very certain that Mexicos medical infrastructure has captured a majority of cases....

What happened to you?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    White House trade adviser Peter Navarro is leading a Trump administration effort to demand the Food and Drug Administration reverse course and grant a second emergency authorization for the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine to treat covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Navarro, armed with a controversial new study that he says shows the drug’s effectiveness, is being cheered on by President Trump, who has long touted the drug as a “game changer” and even used himself as a possible preventive measure. Trump praised the study on Twitter earlier this week, urging the FDA to “Act Now.” The campaign also has been promoted by Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s lawyer, and Laura Ingraham’s show on Fox News.

Navarro said if the Detroit data is backed up by subsequent studies, “there is blood on the media’s hands” for sowing doubts about the drug.

But the Henry Ford study has been sharply criticized by scientists who said it shouldn’t be used to change policy. It was an observational study, considered much less rigorous than a randomized trial, in which patients are randomly assigned to receive a treatment or not. And its results fly in the face of three major randomized trials that have found hydroxycloroquine is not effective in treating or preventing covid-19.

Critics also noted that twice as many of the Henry Ford patients who received hydroxychloroquine also got a steroid — which has been shown to benefit covid-19 patients — compared to those who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine. That made it hard to know which drug benefited the patients, they said. The authors made statistical adjustments to account for that, but other scientists said the methodology wasn’t clear and that it is very hard to correct studies in that way.

“You want to look at the totality of the data,” said Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “The totality is overwhelmingly in the opposite direction. You have to conclude with the Henry Ford study is an outlier and there’s some kind of confounder that is skewing the data and not representing the truth.”

Doctors can still prescribe the drug for covid-19 because it is approved for other illnesses. But Navarro said that the FDA’s safety warning and withdrawal of the emergency authorization had effectively killed demand. “In my discussions with the FDA, they seemed unaware of the massive depressive effect their decisions have had on use of the medicine,” he said.

In recent interviews, Giuliani, the president’s lawyer, said the studies discounting hydroxychloroquine are bogus. “They’ve thrown cold water on it because they are academics,” he said, adding he has taken the drug three times without side effects.

Test results so far have been “silly,” he said, adding that a police officer friend and others in New York have succeeded after taking it. “They don’t know what they’re talking about,” he said of doctors warning against it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...e-coronavirus/

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Tyrants gonna tyrant.

I know shes your hero
    A boomer trumpkin calling out tyrants while unflinchingly supporting the orange buffoon...

I've officially seen it all now folks haha!