Page 75 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677851251755751075 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    What would you do? Remember the response would have to big enough that China respects The US and walks away. No little sanctions or kicking ambassadors out
    Have to play nice for a year while we build up the supply chain in North Amerida but I would incentivize the hell out if bringing raw material production back here. 0% taxes on those companies and then start competing with china in a global scale.

We are hitting an important time in world history where people are going to not stand for China much longer.

It's time to crush the CCP and the only way you to that is economically so the prolle overthrow them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Thinking that the govt is infringing on your rights by making people stay in during a pandemic is why I thankfully do not embrace libertarianism really anymore

Making that argument in the middle of a pandemic and arguing your stance in a vacuum with no regard to reality is just absurd and should be laughed at. Which is what happens to that viewpoint most of the time.

I’ll remember this when I see you try to claim to be pro life though lol
    Libertarians with an understanding of externalities would not object to such infringements during an epidemic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's time to crush the CCP and the only way you to that is economically so the prolle overthrow them.
    That's not going to be very good for business.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    That's not going to be very good for business.
    China will re emerge from.that as a great nation that helps the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    China will re emerge from.that as a great nation that helps the world.
    You're delusional. China is our economy. What you're proposing is changing how our economy works. WHich I'm not against, but it is a big change. ANd it would require more than us. We could try and compete with them but the US doesn't have the means to produce iPhones, iPads, Switches, etc. Foxconn is able to house, pay and maintain a facility with hundreds of workers that they can mobilize at a given time. Costs could be equal or lower in the US but the only way we beat china is automation. If we can automate production jobs that's how you beat china.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    What happens after the apex? Toronto has banned public gatherings through June 30. We need to be smart about how we reopen the economy after the number of cases starts to decline. Hopefully, there is some careful thought and planning being given to this.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What happens after the apex? Toronto has banned public gatherings through June 30. We need to be smart about how we reopen the economy after the number of cases starts to decline. Hopefully, there is some careful thought and planning being given to this.
    Everything back to normal while wearing masks. The curve has been destroyed. The amount of infected people has shrunk drastically.

I'm against till the end if April but if it's at that point people can wear masks and we will be fine for any future upticks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You're delusional. China is our economy. What you're proposing is changing how our economy works. WHich I'm not against, but it is a big change. ANd it would require more than us. We could try and compete with them but the US doesn't have the means to produce iPhones, iPads, Switches, etc. Foxconn is able to house, pay and maintain a facility with hundreds of workers that they can mobilize at a given time. Costs could be equal or lower in the US but the only way we beat china is automation. If we can automate production jobs that's how you beat china.
    A lot of those jobs have been automated already and workers in china have started to demand more money the past 5 years.

All it takes is the consumer and if the western governments of the world ensure to remind their people about the CCPs negligence then there will be more of an appetite to buy products outside of china.

We also need to be vigilant in identifying those companies in other south east asian nations that are just geographical proxies of the CCP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Everything back to normal while wearing masks. The curve has been destroyed. The amount of infected people has shrunk drastically.

I'm against till the end if April but if it's at that point people can wear masks and we will be fine for any future upticks.
    If the number of cases shrinks enough then aggressive testing and tracing can prevent secondary outbreaks. This is the strategy that I've seen advocated by some of the experts in the field.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If the number of cases shrinks enough then aggressive testing and tracing can prevent secondary outbreaks. This is the strategy that I've seen advocated by some of the experts in the field.
    Exactly. Give people the means to test themselves every few days. It's the only way forward. Once you have significant mitigation for a period of 3 weeks the virus dies. We will have 7-8 weeks if we stay in till April.

Add in treatments as well as overall learned approaches during this time and we will be able to reopen FULLY soon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Thought experiment re: death rates.

Think of a number for what percentage of NYC you personally think has been infected and had the virus completely run its course.

We have no idea what the actual number is, but here are the current death rates for that various percentages:

50%: .03%
    25%: .05%
    10%: .13%
    5%: .3%
    1%: 1.3%
    0.5%: 2.6%

So if the virus has already infected and cycled through only 10% or less of NYC, then we're surpassing thethe's .1% death rate projection. Higher than that and his numbers are more on track.
    Based on the percentage of infected that require hospitalization (roughly 10 percent, but higher in Italy and China) there is basically zero chance thethe's projections are correct. That would mean anywhere from 100k-200k people would have been hospitalized due to COVID-19 symptoms and we not know about it.
    Last edited by Carp; 04-01-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    there is a key compound if then involved

if our capacity to test and trace rises enough relative to the number of active cases then we can resume certain activities

this can happen through increased capacity to test and trace or a sufficient decline in number of cases...in practice probably a combination of the two

i imagine the experts are working out what the ratio between capacity to test and trace relative to number of cases has to be to safely reopen

hopefully...it seems to me this is something very important that we need to get right

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Based on the percentage of infected that require hospitalization (roughly 10 percent, but higher in Italy and China) there is basically zero chance thethe's projections are correct. That would mean anywhere from 100k-200k people would have been hospitalized due to COVID-19 symptoms and we not know about it.
    If you actualy believe 10% hospitalization rate which what we are learning now is a big overstatement. They were used as a placeholder to just complete an analysis.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...ss_1033020.php

Differences in hospitalisation rates by age were reported, increasing with age - with 11.8% of people in their 60s, 16.6% of people in their 70s, and 18.4% of those in their 80s and above estimated to develop symptoms severe enough for hospitalisation

These hospitalisation rates compare with 0.04% of 10 to 19-year-olds, 1.0% of people in their 20s, and 3.4% of people aged 30 to 39. Hospitalisation rates nearly double from 4.3% in 40-49-year-olds to 8.2% in 50-59-year olds
    Nearly one in five over-80s infected with COVID-19 are likely to require hospitalisation, compared with around 1% of people under 30, according to an analysis of 3,665 cases in mainland China, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal.

Stop trying to pretend you know anything about this.

These are also reported cases and therefore the hospitalization rates are much less. May be talking about an aggregate of 2-4% now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    there is a key compound if then involved

if our capacity to test and trace rises enough relative to the number of active cases then we can resume certain activities

this can happen through increased capacity to test and trace or a sufficient decline in number of cases...in practice probably a combination of the two

i imagine the experts are working out what the ratio between capacity to test and trace relative to number of cases has to be to safely reopen

hopefully...it seems to me this is something very important that we need to get right
    The testing has advanced tremendously now. In addition, the stay at home recommendation has bought us weeks, if not months, to get everything we need in order.

The worst in terms of infections is behind us. Deaths will sadly be grim for the next 2 weeks but after that it will fall dramatically.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Does anyone want to comment on the evidence that the coronavirus did not originate in a wet market?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    If you actualy believe 10% hospitalization rate which what we are learning now is a big overstatement. They were used as a placeholder to just complete an analysis.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...ss_1033020.php

Differences in hospitalisation rates by age were reported, increasing with age - with 11.8% of people in their 60s, 16.6% of people in their 70s, and 18.4% of those in their 80s and above estimated to develop symptoms severe enough for hospitalisation

These hospitalisation rates compare with 0.04% of 10 to 19-year-olds, 1.0% of people in their 20s, and 3.4% of people aged 30 to 39. Hospitalisation rates nearly double from 4.3% in 40-49-year-olds to 8.2% in 50-59-year olds
    Nearly one in five over-80s infected with COVID-19 are likely to require hospitalisation, compared with around 1% of people under 30, according to an analysis of 3,665 cases in mainland China, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal.

Stop trying to pretend you know anything about this.

These are also reported cases and therefore the hospitalization rates are much less. May be talking about an aggregate of 2-4% now.
    Literally from the same Article:

"The death rate from confirmed COVID-19 cases is estimated at 1.38%, while the overall death rate, which includes unconfirmed cases, is estimated at 0.66%;"

"Previous estimates of deaths from confirmed cases of COVID-19 have ranged from 2% to 8% [5], while deaths from overall infections have been estimated at 0.2% to 1.6%"