Page 311 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 2112613013093103113123133213614118111311 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,220 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I wish I loved anything like the cult member loves to blame Obama for anything or freak out about the “CCP”
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Test and trace is yet another bad idea in a string of bad ideas pushed on this forum.

Never made any sense and is another theoretical idea that works better on paper than it would in real life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Chinese leader Xi Jinping (習近平) asked World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to suppress news about the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the German intelligence agency BND found, according to a report by German magazine Der Spiegel.

During a conversation on Jan. 21, Xi reportedly asked Tedros not to announce that the virus could be transmitted between humans and to delay any declaration of a coronavirus pandemic.

It took until the end of January before the WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak needed to receive international attention. Because of China’s delay, the world wasted four to six weeks it could have used better to counter the virus from spreading, the BND concluded.

Germany’s Robert Koch Institute also said that China failed to reveal all relevant information at the outset of the epidemic, leading it to turn to the BND for advice, according to a report in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung quoted by CNA.

In a response to the German media reports, Chinese diplomats said the opposite was true, arguing that the communist country’s handling of the virus had saved time which had been wasted by governments in other countries.

Is this concerning enough?
    So when you have a lot of money and power, you can suppress news that makes you look bad? Good to know.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    China has been trying to pump out a false narrative for awhile now. But for those who have been following this since January it was obvious that the WHO was in their back pocket. Only when **** got bad in Italy did they declare a pandemic even though the situation had justified it being labeled a pandemic long before this happened by their own guidelines.

I'm still not convinced they used it as a weapon however.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    something something laidership

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    China has been trying to pump out a false narrative for awhile now. But for those who have been following this since January it was obvious that the WHO was in their back pocket. Only when **** got bad in Italy did they declare a pandemic even though the situation had justified it being labeled a pandemic long before this happened by their own guidelines.

I'm still not convinced they used it as a weapon however.
    This is all true. Anyone watching the news knew that it was a pandemic long before the WHO finally declared it. Doctors knew, journalists knew, even I knew.

I think the same thing would've happened if the virus had started in the U.S. Trump would've used all his political pull to downplay it as long as possible. Wait, that's exactly what Trump did 2 months after China.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-10-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The purposeful willingness to admit why Cuomo has high polling numbers has to be the weirdest thing freedom boy has his brain stuck on trying to “disprove” recently
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    The purposeful willingness to admit why Cuomo has high polling numbers has to be the weirdest thing freedom boy has his brain stuck on trying to “disprove” recently
    Media has worked very hard for him, while trashing red state governors who's citizens have had much better outcomes.

I cant figure out why that is bit I'll keep thinking on it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I don't think New York's response (Cuomo and de Blasio) has been particularly good. The slowness to recognize the role of mass transit as a vector for transmission has been very damaging. Somewhat balancing that has been an aggressive push for testing. And I think there has been a consistency in messaging since the third week of March that this is a very serious situation that requires vigilance on the public's part. But generally New York like almost everyone else has been caught flat-footed.

As for the polls, I think there is a rally around the flag effect. And a secondary benefit for most governors has been the contrast with very poorly chosen one.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    An honest assessment by DeWine:

Speaking on “Fox News Sunday,” the Republican governor said that Ohio – like most other states – is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and noted that there is no clear protocol of how to handle the situation.

“It's really a risk no matter what we do,” DeWine said. “It’s a risk if we don’t do anything, it’s a risk if we do this. What we have done is come up with best practices for businesses to reopen.”

"We're really at a plateau with hospitalizations, we're at a plateau with deaths, we're at a plateau in regard to new cases so they do go up and down. We wish we were going down. We're not.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oh...cid=spartanntp

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Pretty accurate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Pretty accurate

But they hacked us. Seriously, they did.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    COVID-19 antibody study of MLB employees finds that .7 percent have had the virus

The Stanford study that tested 5,603 MLB employees for the presence of COVID-19 antibodies found just 60 positive cases, the lead researcher said on Sunday. After adjusting for potential testing error, the researchers reported a positive rate of 0.7%

The majority of those who tested positive were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms, said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University.

“I was expecting a larger number of people to test positive,” Dr. Bhattacharya said. “These numbers indicate these numbers haven’t spread very far. But at the same time, we have had a zero percent mortality rate.”

This study represents the largest Covid-19 antibody test conducted in the United States to date.

The antibody test did not look for active infection of COVID-19, but for the blood protein the body produces to fight the disease, which remains in the body after recovery from the virus.
    That's honestly pretty surprisingly low. This is the same guy who did those other Stanford studies, so maybe they have changed up their methodology?

Uh, mumble, mumble "immunity walls."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    COVID-19 antibody study of MLB employees finds that .7 percent have had the virus

That's honestly pretty surprisingly low. This is the same guy who did those other Stanford studies, so maybe they have changed up their methodology?

Because MLB players are an accurate representation of the rest of the population.

True homogeny.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post

Presumably these people live in or near major league cities. Which my priors would suggest is a population that would have a higher exposure than the population generally.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    The Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Colorado and Miami did not participate, Bhattacharya said.

well that explains a lot

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    A thread on what South Korea...

Yeah that's not gonna fly here.