Page 416 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 3163664064144154164174184264665169161416 ... LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,320 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    From a letter MIT's president just sent out:

What will life on campus be like?

We all treasure the feel of MIT’s open campus. Unfortunately, campus life will feel very different this fall. These changes will include:

Mandatory Covid-19 testing before return and regularly thereafter

Mandatory public-health education

Daily health attestations via an app or website

Mandatory wearing of masks

Physical distancing

Contact tracing

Staggered scheduling and reconfigured work spaces

Enhanced cleaning protocols

Access to buildings through a single point and only with an MIT ID

No large gatherings or lectures

Much less travel

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    its sad to see the political polarization of wearing masks and saying this is the blue states...just a sad point in our country's history

it doesn't have to be like that...republican governors like DeWine, Baker and Hogan have stepped up and done a very good job

and the republican governor of north Dakota Doug Burgum put it very well I thought

https://www.kctv5.com/coronavirus/wa...5a0b09632.html
    Being a ND resident I can confidently say Burgum is everything Trump wishes he could be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-17-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I don't know about other Asian countries, but it's true in Japan. For the last few years there's been an increase in people wearing masks when they have a cold or during the pollen season.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Gov Ducey in Arizona speaking out strongly on wearing masks today. And also giving local governments more flexibility to adopt additional measures. Also going to use National Guard to surge contact tracing capacity.

Last edited by nsacpi; 06-17-2020 at 05:31 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Nice try but New York is directly responsible for many of the Covid strains in America. New York even as late as February/March was saying Trump was overreacting to the virus and to go out have a good time.
    This is false. When did Trump overreact to the virus? Was that when when he said it would disappear in April like a miracle? or when he didn't cancel campaign rallies? Or was it when he compared it to the flu?

Trump was pushing the business as usual stance up until shutdowns. Only until mid April did he really start changing his tone to match the health experts.

Did some NY leaders fail too? I'm sure they did. But Trump was literally encouraging the same type of behavior.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-18-2020 at 07:08 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Sweden deaths at 12 today after a huge spike yesterday. Good news for the Swedes. Hopefully yesterday's spike was an aberration.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    This is false. When did Trump overreact to the virus? Was that when when he said it would disappear in April like a miracle? or when he didn't cancel campaign rallies? Or was it when he compared it to the flu?

Trump was pushing the business as usual stance up until shutdowns. Only until mid April did he really start changing his tone to match the health experts.

Did some NY leaders fail too? I'm sure they did. But Trump was literally encouraging the same type of behavior.
    Do some research. When Trump did his travel bans to China in late January New York responded with saying Trump is overreacting and called him a racist.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Do some research. When Trump did his travel bans to China in late January New York responded with saying Trump is overreacting and called him a racist.
    Do some research? Trump actively encouraged business as usual throughout Feb/March and refused to cancel campaign rallies. Those are facts. But please show me where Trump was "over-reacting" in Feb/March. I'll wait.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Do some research? Trump actively encouraged business as usual throughout Feb/March and refused to cancel campaign rallies. Those are facts. But please show me where Trump was "over-reacting" in Feb/March. I'll wait.
    Do you have reading comprehension problems? I just told you exactly what happened with the travel ban and New York didn't take Trump seriously. Here's one example of New York not taking the coronavirus seriously. https://ny.eater.com/2020/4/10/21215...oronavirus-nyc
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-18-2020 at 11:11 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Do you have reading comprehension problems? I just told you exactly what happened with the travel ban and New York didn't take Trump seriously. Here's one example of New York not taking the coronavirus seriously. https://ny.eater.com/2020/4/10/21215...oronavirus-nyc
    Didn't take Trump seriously? You mean the guy that said"

Feb .24 "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA."

Feb. 26 "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero"

Feb. 27 "It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear"

Mar. 4 "Yeah, I think where these people are flying, it's safe to fly. And large portions of the world are very safe to fly."

Mar. 6 ""I haven't had any problems filling them. We just had one in North Carolina, South Carolina, all of the place and we have tens of thousands of people standing outside of the arena," Trump said. When pressed on whether he thought it was a risk to have that many people standing close together, Trump replied, "Doesn't bother me at all, and it doesn't bother them at all."

Mar. 9 "So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!"

Exactly which part of that is supposed to encourage people to take the virus seriously?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Didn't take Trump seriously? You mean the guy that said"

Feb .24 "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA."

Feb. 26 "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero"

Feb. 27 "It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear"

Mar. 4 "Yeah, I think where these people are flying, it's safe to fly. And large portions of the world are very safe to fly."

Mar. 6 ""I haven't had any problems filling them. We just had one in North Carolina, South Carolina, all of the place and we have tens of thousands of people standing outside of the arena," Trump said. When pressed on whether he thought it was a risk to have that many people standing close together, Trump replied, "Doesn't bother me at all, and it doesn't bother them at all."

Mar. 9 "So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!"

Exactly which part of that is supposed to encourage people to take the virus seriously?
    The travel ban happened before any of this(Jan 31) and New York called him a racist and said he was overreacting. What part of this do you not understand? I'll type slower for you and repeat myself again if you still don't get it. This crap you're spewing is completely off topic to the point I'm making but I'll humor you. Yes, Trump and the Covid-19 team greatly underestimated the coronavirus. Fauci himself said a lot of crap that wasn't true as well. Do you know why? Because China was giving us a ****load of misinformation. This is out of Fauci's own mouth. Fauci has praised Trump's performance. Do you know a good part of the media was saying the same thing Trump/Fauci was at the time?
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-18-2020 at 11:41 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    The travel ban happened before any of this(Jan 31) and New York called him a racist and said he was overreacting. What part of this do you not understand? I'll type slower for you and repeat myself again if you still don't get it. This crap you're spewing is completely off topic to the point I'm making but I'll humor you. Yes, Trump and the Covid-19 team greatly underestimated the coronavirus. Fauci himself said a lot of crap that wasn't true as well. Do you know why? Because China was giving us a ****load of misinformation. This is out of Fauci's own mouth. Fauci has praised Trump's performance. Do you know a good part of the media was saying the same thing Trump/Fauci was at the time?
    So Trump was playing some sort of 6-D Chess by instituting a travel ban, only to totally disregard the virus the next week... right.

Not to mention, you said late Feb/Mar. Please tell me again how those statements aren't relevant to Feb/March?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    So Trump was playing some sort of 6-D Chess by instituting a travel ban, only to totally disregard the virus the next week... right.

Not to mention, you said late Feb/Mar. Please tell me again how those statements aren't relevant to Feb/March?
    Dude, how do you come to that conclusion? He didn't ignore the virus regardless of what you think.
    Relevant? I'm talking about New York's response to Trumps' travel ban. I have said this three times and you keep going on about other things. Do I need to type what I typed above again?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    In early March, President Donald Trump said that restrictions he placed on travel to and from China “saved a lot of lives,” a claim that grew to “probably tens of thousands” and “hundreds of thousands” by early April. But we found no support for such figures.

The few studies that have been done estimate the U.S.’ and other countries’ travel restrictions regarding China had modest impacts, slowing the initial spread outside of China but not containing the coronavirus pandemic. We didn’t find a study that looked at the U.S. restrictions alone, and we found only one non-peer-reviewed study, on Australia, that found an impact of such policies on deaths, though it has significant limitations.

Past studies, too, have found international travel restrictions could delay the path of the spread of diseases but do little to contain them.

Saad B. Omer, director of the Yale Institute for Global Health, told us he hasn’t seen any evidence to support the president’s claims. Previous studies of viruses with a reproduction number of 1.9 or higher, meaning the average number of other people one person infects, have shown the restrictions have to be very strict to have an effect, he said. Travel restrictions “can have an impact if you shut down 90% of all travel,” Omer said. But, “even then, it delays it a little bit but it doesn’t stop it.”

Omer co-authored a Feb. 3 article on why a travel ban wouldn’t stop the coronavirus.

Alex Nowrasteh, director of immigration studies at the libertarian Cato Institute’s Center for Global Liberty and Prosperity, looked at several of the same studies we examined and concluded that “by themselves, travel restrictions do little but delay the onset of a crisis mentality and shift the curve to the right rather than flattening it.”

As we have found with prior claims from the president, Trump’s assertions have progressively grown:

Trump, March 5, Fox News town hall: But as soon as I heard that China had a problem, I said, “What’s going on with China? How many people are coming in?” … [Y]ou both know that I closed the borders very early. …. You know, it saved a lot of lives.

Trump, March 17, coronavirus task force briefing: We closed it down to China, the source, very, very early. Very, very early. Far earlier than even the great professionals wanted to do. And I think, in the end, that’s going to be — that will have saved a tremendous number of lives.

Trump, March 24, Fox News virtual town hall: I made a decision to close off to China. … Thousands and thousands of more people — probably tens of thousands would be dead right now if I didn’t make that decision.

Trump, April 7, task force briefing: And I was called all sorts of names when I closed it down to China. …. If I didn’t do it — if I didn’t do that, we would’ve had hundreds of thousands more people dying.

We asked the White House for support for the president’s claims, specifically whether there was support for his claims of “tens of thousands” or “hundreds of thousands” of lives saved. We haven’t received a response.

On Jan. 31, the Trump administration declared a public health emergency for the novel coronavirus and announced travel restrictions to and from China, effective Feb. 2. As of that date, there were nine confirmed cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in the U.S., though there had been very little testing. At that point, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had not yet sent test kits to public health labs, so all testing was done through the CDC.

Currently, the U.S. has the most confirmed COVID-19 cases in the world. As of April 10, the U.S. had more than 486,000 cases and nearly 18,000 deaths, according to John Hopkins University’s Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

Under the travel restrictions, non-U.S. citizens, other than the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, were prohibited from entering the U.S. if they had traveled to China within the previous two weeks.

As we’ve written before, a study published in the journal Science on March 6 estimated that travel restrictions instituted in Wuhan, China, where the coronavirus outbreak began, and those put in place by several countries in early February regarding China would “only modestly” affect the spread of the pandemic.

The researchers — a team from the U.S., Italy and China, led by Northeastern University in Boston — used a model to estimate the impact. The model showed that a travel ban in Wuhan “was initially effective at reducing international case importations,” but “the number of cases observed outside Mainland China will resume its growth after 2-3 weeks from cases that originated elsewhere.” It found that restrictions by other countries would have “a modest effect” if they reduced travel to and from China by up to 90%, unless those restrictions were “paired with public health interventions and behavioral changes that achieve a considerable reduction in the disease transmissibility.”

In other words, travel restrictions could delay, but not stop, the spread of the disease, and social distancing and hand-washing behaviors would reduce the transmission of the disease.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/tr...-travel-claim/
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Factcheck's educated guesses aren't really facts. Fauci said it saved a lot of lives. Good enough for me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Dude, how do you come to that conclusion? He didn't ignore the virus regardless of what you think.
    Relevant? I'm talking about New York's response to Trumps' travel ban. I have said this three times and you keep going on about other things. Do I need to type what I typed above again?
    And again, NY's response (as like all states) can be directly tied to the direction of your fearless leader, who continuously downplayed the virus for months.

I literally posted where he disregarded how deadly and dangerous this virus could be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    And again, NY's response (as like all states) can be directly tied to the direction of your fearless leader, who continuously downplayed the virus for months.

I literally posted where he disregarded how deadly and dangerous this virus could be.
    Dude, you're an idiot. Most of New York's comments (days after Trump's travel ban. Early Feb) came before Trump's other responses. I have told you this a couple of times already. As I said above even Fauci and media made mistakes because of Chinese misinformation.
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-18-2020 at 01:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Dude, you're an idiot. Most of New York's comments (days after Trump's travel ban. Early Feb) came before Trump's other responses. I have told you this a couple of times already. As I said above even Fauci and media made mistakes because of Chinese misinformation.
    Dude, YOU LITERALLY SAID "New York even as late as February/March was saying Trump was overreacting." That is absolutely, 100% false. Not only that, but this argument fails to hold water considering Trump himself downplayed the virus like a week after the comments you are referring to. How can he be overreacting if his entire stance almost into April, is that it wasn't a big deal?

And like all Trump cult members, you keep passing the blame. Now it's Fauci and the media to blame, instead of the buffoon saying it would die off in April, despite there being no evidence that was true.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Dude, YOU LITERALLY SAID "New York even as late as February/March was saying Trump was overreacting." That is absolutely, 100% false. Not only that, but this argument fails to hold water considering Trump himself downplayed the virus like a week after the comments you are referring to. How can he be overreacting if his entire stance almost into April, is that it wasn't a big deal?

And like all Trump cult members, you keep passing the blame. Now it's Fauci and the media to blame, instead of the buffoon saying it would die off in April, despite there being no evidence that was true.
    Do you know what the word "most" means? The fact that he did a travel ban on January 31 tells you that he was serious. He was wrong on many issues but so were the experts. Trump and the Covid-19 team thought we had it curtailed but we didn't.

Like most mindless libs it's always TRUMP!!!! DERP!!! DERP!!! If you would follow facts instead of following brainwashing rhetoric that you find on the TV you would find out I'm correct.

Here is the media worried about Trump overreacting to the virus because it wasn't serious:
    https://khn.org/morning-breakout/bas...rom-president/ https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/28/...est-for-trump/ Here's Voxx saying that the media didn't take the virus seriously https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/4/13...you-wear-masks

As Fauci said his "overreactions" saved lives.

Here are examples of New York downplaying the virus:
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...rus-seriously/

"But despite the dire warning from federal officials, New York City politicians urged residents not to overreact to the threat. City Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot on February 6 acknowledged that the virus could spread from person to person, but attempted to reassure residents that that type of transmission would be rare outside of households."

Like I said Trump wasn't the only one who thought we had a hold on this.
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-18-2020 at 06:19 PM.