Page 438 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 3383884284364374384394404484885389381438 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 29591

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    anyone know if JP Morgan has updated this line of research?

or if Carl Quitanilla has tweeted anything new on it?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    AHHHHHH CASES!!!!

Wonder why there was no posting of Texas' massive decline in cases yesterday?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The polling has shown quiet but strong support for being cautious about reopening, consistent with advice of Fauci and other experts. The states that opened without meeting the benchmarks did so contrary to public opinion and expert advice. Waiting two or three extra weeks to reopen would have made a yuge difference. People were getting tired and restless but this could have been managed. Like in Michigan, where the governor refused to be intimidated.
    Seems to me quite a few states closed before the virus got there, only to reopen before the virus hit. Almost like they didn't realize nobody visits Podunk Alabama, so the virus would get there later than it reached gateway cities. Probably because people in Podunk Alabama are too stupid to realize much of anything, but I digress.

However, I still think it's important for folks to realize that this virus was always going to spread through the entire population. The only question was whether it took 6 months to spread, or 18 months to spread. We chose 18 months to prevent hospitals from becoming overburdened.

I'm not sure when "flatten the curve" turned into "wait for the virus to blow over", but it's completely unrealistic to think we can have the entire population hide in their homes while this thing passes...because it won't pass until it infects everyone-ish.

As of now, hospitals are not being overburdened. The folks getting sick now were always going to get sick, whether now or 6 months from now. There is nothing any government mandate can do right now to make less folks die than are already going to die, so it's probably wise to protect the vulnerable and stop destroying the economy.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-30-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We will see how attentive nsacpi is when deaths dont materially spike over the next 3 weeks.

We will still here the 2 weeks line.
    Stop acting like you have any legs to stand on. Still waiting for your latest hot take on sweden. Who has been less successful than their neighbors.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Stop acting like you have any legs to stand on. Still waiting for your latest hot take on sweden. Who has been less successful than their neighbors.
    Only because you lack the ability to accurately compare the countries
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm still waiting for him to tell us is Trump was talking about some super sophisticated treatment to cleanse the lungs, or was being sarcastic.

He went on and on about how we were too stupid to understand what the orange fool was talking about, then when his cult hero admitted he was joking tehteh dropped that argument line altogether. I asked literally 50 times over the next week...and nothing.

I'm actually a little shocked you guys are still validating his stupidity with responses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seems to me quite a few states closed before the virus got there, only to reopen before the virus hit. Almost like they didn't realize nobody visits Podunk Alabama, so the virus would get there later than it reached gateway cities. Probably because people in Podunk Alabama are too stupid to realize much of anything, but I digress.

However, I still think it's important for folks to realize that this virus was always going to spread through the entire population. The only question was whether it took 6 months to spread, or 18 months to spread. We chose 18 months to prevent hospitals from becoming overburdened.

I'm not sure when "flatten the curve" turned into "wait for the virus to blow over", but it's completely unrealistic to think we can have the entire population hide in their homes while this thing passes...because it won't pass until it infects everyone-ish.

As of now, hospitals are not being overburdened. The folks getting sick now were always going to get sick, whether now or 6 months from now. There is nothing any government mandate can do right now to make less folks die than are already going to die, so it's probably wise to protect the vulnerable and stop destroying the economy.
    Good post. Except for insulting someone... you can't help yourself though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Good post. Except for insulting someone... you can't help yourself though
    Am I wrong? Did these moron red states not pat themselves on the back over how well they prevented the virus? Did they not mistake their supposed good work for the fact the virus simply hadn't made its way to them yet?

Am I the only person who realizes red/urban areas are mostly poor idiots whose worldview is limited to the county they were born in? Because everyone with half a brain or shred of talent has the good sense to leave?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Am I wrong? Did these moron red states not pat themselves on the back over how well they prevented the virus? Did they not mistake their supposed good work for the fact the virus simply hadn't made its way to them yet?

Am I the only person who realizes red/urban areas are mostly poor idiots whose worldview is limited to the county they were born in? Because everyone with half a brain or shred of talent has the good sense to leave?
    Considering New Yorkers fled en masse to Florida to escape pandemic... yes, you are wrong

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts

Dude, just shut up. You made a fool of yourself during the Kavanaugh episode and you are doing it now as well. The red states are nowhere near bad off as the blue states during the Coronavirus pandemic. In fact, New York is responsible for many of the strains in America itself.
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-30-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    You guys haven't learned to ignore him yet.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It shows just how unserious these people are and to never take them as legitimate contributors again.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

My compliment to you was based on the last 3 paragraphs.

I enjoy being a "poor idiot" in Mississippi. I make a decent living in a rural area. I visit bigger cities in the south (Nola, Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, etc) probably 15-20 weekends a year, and fly somewhere usually a week a year. I like bigger cities in short spans, but prefer the slower pace at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Sorry to upset the left with data and facts, but unfortunately, those deaths just arent coming through like you hope they will

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Itll be long term effects now sturg. Goalposts will move fast.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Only because you lack the ability to accurately compare the countries
    COVID Cases per 1M work better for you? Care to compare Sweden to their surrounding nations?

6700 vs. 1638, 1302, and 2204.

Or if you would, adding all the cases without adjusting the population to any other nation all 3 surrounding nations would still be less than Sweden's.

Same with deaths.

What else does one need to accurately compare?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    COVID Cases per 1M work better for you? Care to compare Sweden to their surrounding nations?

6700 vs. 1638, 1302, and 2204.

Or if you would, adding all the cases without adjusting the population to any other nation all 3 surrounding nations would still be less than Sweden's.

Same with deaths.

What else does one need to accurately compare?
    Sturg provided an excellent thread that I suggest you read up on.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

There has been a lot of learning since March. Anyone with the responsibility of creating a strategy for a state or country has to watch what is happening elsewhere.

What we've seen is that countries and states are capable of bringing infection rates to very low levels, and that opening up economies at those very low levels is a promising strategy.

First we saw it in Wuhan...but they are part of a totalitarian system.

Then South Korea...different culture

Then New Zealand...but they are an island

Denmark, FINLAND, Norway...but they are small homogenous countries

Well we have also seen it happen in large European countries that are the closest thing to our peer group.

We've seen it in New York...less than 1% of test results reported yesterday were positive.

Better to reopen at 1% positive than 3% positive, which is where NY was at the start of June.

Look at Arizona. The low for the 7-day average was 6.5% in mid-May. If they could have held on a few more weeks, they could have reopened at 3%, which would have given them a better shot at success.

The other part of course is how to get the public to do its part. You have to repeat the message. Mask up and keep a safe distance. It is common sense, but some countries and states have done better in consistently pushing that message and getting compliance from their people.

At one time, flatten the curve was a very useful message and strategy. But a lot of countries and states have shown that it is possible to bring the infection rate down to very low levels. Even in the UK, which has also had a shambolic response from its government. Maybe it won't be sustainable. That remains a source of uncertainty.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-30-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-30-2020), goldfly (06-30-2020)