Page 466 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 3664164564644654664674684765165669661466 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,320 of 29591

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    MLB teams in red states are going to follow Trump's lead. If they start losing a lot of games they will simply solve that problem by stopping the scoreboards from displaying the score of the games at their home park. Losses decrease!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-10-2020), goldfly (07-10-2020), nsacpi (07-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A boomer trumpkin calling out tyrants while unflinchingly supporting the orange buffoon...

I've officially seen it all now folks haha!
    I see this a lot, I'm pretty sure he didn't vote for Trump and has said he wouldn't this time around either....
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I see this a lot, I'm pretty sure he didn't vote for Trump and has said he wouldn't this time around either....

it is a strange case, rarely seen and therefore likely to be misdiagnosed...of the self-professed non-trump voter who nonetheless is constantly seeking to make excuses for him and draw false equivalencies between him and other presidents/politicians
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-10-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    ah yes

wearing the mask during a pandemic is tyranny

lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A boomer trumpkin calling out tyrants while unflinchingly supporting the orange buffoon...

I've officially seen it all now folks haha!
    I'm not sure you've ever gotten any of your dumbass proclamations right on here...

Also, I'm younger than you old man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    it is a strange case, rarely seen and therefore likely to be misdiagnosed...of the self-professed non-trump voter who nonetheless is constantly seeking to make excuses for him and draw false equivalencies between him and other presidents/politicians
    If you can tell me how my criticism of a governor mandating how business operate is somehow a defense of Trump, I'd love to hear it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You missed the part of my post where I was slobbering Trump?

CANT YOU READ?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Is "my body my choice" only an abortion slogan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Today we had a governor who issued a mandate to wear masks to protect her constituents during a pandemic and a president who threatened to defund schools on ideological grounds.

I think one is an example of tyranny. And the other would be an example of sound policy.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2020 at 03:39 PM.

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Yes.

One is mandating how a private business operates with the thread of closing the business down.

The other isn't.

Thank you for making a very clear distinction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes.

One is mandating how a private business operates with the thread of closing the business down.

The other isn't.

Thank you for making a very clear distinction
    As I noted in an earlier post what we have here is a strange case, rarely seen and therefore likely to be misdiagnosed...of the self-professed non-trump voter who nonetheless is constantly seeking to make excuses for him and draw false equivalencies between him and other presidents/politicians

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    As I noted in an earlier post what we have here is a strange case, rarely seen and therefore likely to be misdiagnosed...of the self-professed non-trump voter who nonetheless is constantly seeking to make excuses for him and draw false equivalencies between him and other presidents/politicians
    You for some reason brought an unrelated Trump thing into a discussion about Whitmer.

Bc the orange man consumes all of your critical thinking. Never seen someone break so many people.

But back to the discussion at hand, the tyrant continues to embrace new power like most tyrants do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Is "my body my choice" only an abortion slogan?
    Asking again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    “We do testing like nobody's ever done testing. And when we test, the more you test, the more cases you find.”

“What we’ve done is we’ve created tremendous number of cases. All that testing is the greatest thing that ever happened for the opposite party.”

“It’s only political nonsense. It’s politics. They don’t want to open because they think it will help them on Nov. 3.”

“You have a governor in Maine that won’t let people even look at each other. I’ve never seen anything like what’s going on with these — it’s really the blue governors, and they haven’t done very well.”

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Almost 67,000 cases today, more than double from three Fridays ago.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Almost 67,000 cases today, more than double from three Fridays ago.
    I'm seeing 71k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Across the country, Republican governors who have opposed or even blocked orders mandating mask-wearing are watching from the sidelines as local officials impose strict measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.

The result is a patchwork of local laws that mayors and county leaders hope will be sufficient to cover most of the territory where coronavirus caseloads are spiking.

Atlanta was the most recent major city to mandate masks in defiance of a gubernatorial order preempting local restrictions. A spokeswoman for Gov. Brian Kemp (R) deemed the Atlanta mayor’s order to wear masks “unenforceable,” but the governor has taken no legal action to stop the mask mandate.

“I stand by the enforceability of our ordinance, and that ordinance will be enforced in the same way we would enforce any other city ordinance,” Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms (D) said. That includes on city-owned property: “The Atlanta airport — the world’s busiest airport — is owned and operated by the city.”

Bottoms said she decided to go through with the order after seeing that Kemp remained silent when the mayor of Savannah, also a Democrat, enacted a mask-wearing ordinance there.

Kemp “could have invalidated my order, and I’m glad he chose not to,” Savannah Mayor Van Johnson said. “The goal was not to be political; the goal was to protect Savannahians.”

The coastal city is dealing with a surging caseload of coronavirus infections and had an influx of summer tourists from neighboring Florida and South Carolina during the Fourth of July holiday.

“We were on a dangerous trajectory,” Johnson said. “We had more cases from May to June than we had had at any other time of the virus combined. With a very busy holiday season and wonderful weather, this was a recipe for disaster for us if we did not take some kind of proactive action.”

Columbia, S.C., Mayor Steve Benjamin (D) likewise wondered whether state leaders would challenge his decision to mandate masks last month. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) has repeatedly argued that mask mandates are unenforceable and possibly unconstitutional. When Benjamin got a call from the state attorney general a day after announcing the order, he asked, half-jokingly, “Are you suing me?”

Benjamin was told not to worry — the mask mandate was fine.

Columbia’s June 23 order came just after Greenville, S.C., imposed a requirement to wear masks inside grocery stores and pharmacies.

“The governor was already advocating for masks, and we did give him heads-up and he had absolutely nothing but encouragement — at least, nothing negative,” Mayor Knox White (R) said.

“The voluntary effort that was so well-received at the beginning was beginning to falter,” the mayor said. “We needed not just to adopt a new requirement but also to grab people’s attention again.”

White said he heard from residents afraid to go into grocery stores and noticed social distancing began to lapse.

In mid-June, as cases and hospitalizations rose precipitously, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) let local governments require masks, as they had been requesting for several weeks. Mayors across the state quickly imposed the requirement.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) halted local mask orders in April, only to mandate them for most of the state last week.

“He was concerned about mandating masking because of the claims of some of his constituency that there was some kind of liberty issue at stake,” Austin Mayor Steve Adler (D) said. “I never understood that argument, because I don’t think anybody has a liberty interest in contributing affirmatively to the spread of disease.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...0fb_story.html

It would be great if voluntary efforts were enough. But these mayors have seen that's not enough and are trying to prevent the situation from spiraling further. I suspect some of the governors are quietly grateful for the steps the mayors have taken.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2020 at 08:57 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    From the above WaPo article:

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) never blocked local mask requirements. But Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley (D) said local leaders earlier in the pandemic followed the governor’s lead as he shut down businesses and required masks. Public health in the state is managed at the county level, but county leaders lack enforcement power.

“I don’t think there was a comfort level in the state by the locals to use our own authority,” Whaley said.

Then, the governor reversed course, undoing the mask mandate and lifting other restrictions. Cases and hospitalizations rose. Dayton, on the advice of local public officials, last week became the first major city in Ohio to require masks. In just a few days, all of the big cities in the state had adopted mask mandates.

On Tuesday, DeWine changed his mind again, mandating masks in counties where virus spread is high, including Dayton’s Montgomery County. It remains unclear how that order will be enforced. Some local officials have said it is not their responsibility.

“The calls to my office haven’t been pleasant and the emails haven’t been nice,” Whaley said, a level of vitriol she traces to the President Trump’s resistance to masking. “This would all be fine if Donald Trump would just wear a mask.”

But she has also received messages of support. And when her husband went to a supermarket just outside the city a few days after the order, she said, the shift was overwhelming. While maybe a quarter of customers wore masks before, now all but one did. To her, it suggested the order is changing social norms rather than just scaring people into complying.

“We’re stating what it means to be a good citizen in Dayton,” she said. “That’s what laws do.”
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2020 at 09:17 PM.

"I am your retribution."