Page 1 of 1480 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts

The Coronavirus, not the beer

I learned a new word today: intubate - insert a tube into (a person or a body part, especially the trachea for ventilation).

The new Calf patient who doesn't know how she contracted the virus has been intubated, meaning she is in serious condition and having trouble breathing. That sounds a lot worse than the flu.

I'm no expert but I teach once a week at a hospital in Japan and one of my students is a respiratory/lung surgeon. He said washing your hands often, at least once an hour, was the best protection. He explained to me that the virus cells attach to the body via fat cells and that keeping your hands squeaky clean, almost smelling of soap, would deny the virus cells a way in.

Somehow the virus has been slow to spread in Japan and has yet to reach my prefecture, or at least there are no official cases yet.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Wash hands and dont touch nose, mouth and eyes.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    I suspect there are quite a few cases in the states that arent being reported. Only the super serious ones that require hospitalization and demand testing for it.

The good news is that the current death rate of 3% is likely inflated due to the likelihood of under reported cases but still much worse than the seasonal flu.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    If it really hits North Korea it could end up horrific for them. With all the famine and inadequate medical services over there, the last thing they need is this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    If it really hits North Korea it could end up horrific for them. With all the famine and inadequate medical services over there, the last thing they need is this.
    I've been wondering about NK too. Their borders are mostly closed already but all it takes is one case to squeak through. The most worrisome thing is the fact that the virus may be transmittable and contagious long before the person even knows they are sick. Hundreds could have it before the original carrier gets tested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    Illegals and poor people with no insurance are certainly not going to get tested for fear of being quarantined and deported.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Nah. North korea knows how to handle this virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...oronavirus.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    In Houston China town's buisness is down 60-70% and that was from a few days ago. They were resorting to offering free beer to get customers to come by.

I also heard in Japan they give you a temperature reading of the person preparing your meal and the person delivering your meal.

If people are passing it to others before even knowing they are sick then I think this is well passed the point where it's can be contained. On the other hand now is the time to buy life insurance for your elderly family members.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I learned a new word today: intubate - insert a tube into (a person or a body part, especially the trachea for ventilation).

The new Calf patient who doesn't know how she contracted the virus has been intubated, meaning she is in serious condition and having trouble breathing. That sounds a lot worse than the flu.

I'm no expert but I teach once a week at a hospital in Japan and one of my students is a respiratory/lung surgeon. He said washing your hands often, at least once an hour, was the best protection. He explained to me that the virus cells attach to the body via fat cells and that keeping your hands squeaky clean, almost smelling of soap, would deny the virus cells a way in.

Somehow the virus has been slow to spread in Japan and has yet to reach my prefecture, or at least there are no official cases yet.
    The woman being in serious condition needing help breathing doesn't mean it's worse that season flu. Seasonal flu is also deadly and can do the same thing. Everyone tends to underestimate seasonal flu.

That being said, it's probably much worse than the seasonal flu. I personally doubt the 3% death rate we're hearing because it doesn't account for asymptomatic cases or cases that are essentially colds that never get diagnosed.

I suspect it'll settle in at 0.5 to 1.0%. That's still 5 to 10 times deadlier than your average flu.

There's no doubt a lot more fear that is probably justified right now. That's partly planned as health officials know they'll get more people to comply with what they want them to do if they're afraid.

I do hope there's a seasonal component to it. That'll help get a lid on the outbreak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Spanish flu of 1918 had about a 2% mortality rate.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The woman being in serious condition needing help breathing doesn't mean it's worse that season flu. Seasonal flu is also deadly and can do the same thing. Everyone tends to underestimate seasonal flu.

That being said, it's probably much worse than the seasonal flu. I personally doubt the 3% death rate we're hearing because it doesn't account for asymptomatic cases or cases that are essentially colds that never get diagnosed.

I suspect it'll settle in at 0.5 to 1.0%. That's still 5 to 10 times deadlier than your average flu.

There's no doubt a lot more fear that is probably justified right now. That's partly planned as health officials know they'll get more people to comply with what they want them to do if they're afraid.

I do hope there's a seasonal component to it. That'll help get a lid on the outbreak.
    It could have a lot higher death rate if it sweeps through Africa, Middle East and Polynesia. The places with inadequate health care and not a lot of hospitals could easily get overrun and it will cause a lot more deaths

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    There was a yuge spike in google searches of "carniverous" a week ago. People are educating themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    The death rate seems very high in Iran. This likely due to the actual number of infections being much higher than reported.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    One number that I would think public health authorities should be interested in: number of people who dont have any symptoms but are carrying and spreading the virus.

Only way to find out is to do random testing of healthy people. I believe the UK is doing this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I think the Spanish outbreak returned harder the next fall and winter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There was a yuge spike in google searches of "carniverous" a week ago. People are educating themselves.
    Wow.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    US has first death

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Italy 1,049 tested positive, 401 hospitalized, 29 deaths

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Trump is mulling a travel ban to Italy and South Korea.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Trump is mulling a travel ban to Italy and South Korea.
    Too late at this point. Its here.