Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League 2020 Edition

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    MadBum keeps getting killed... as expected looking at his trends... Cole Hamels has a higher fWAR this year. thethe is just so amazing in his analysis of everything.
    madbum is the ace we need right now

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Don't win them all I guess.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I don't know if we were ever in on him, but I can think of a few guys that some of the posters here wanted to sign (me included in this critique) who I am so happy went elsewhere. It's early and it's a quirky season (and he is recovering from an injury in 2019), but McCutchen looks terrible. Brantley is doing well though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Zach Plesac of the Indians becomes, as far as I know, the first player sent home for not following health and safety protocols.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    The Astros and A’s didn’t believe in social distancing today
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Zach Plesac of the Indians becomes, as far as I know, the first player sent home for not following health and safety protocols.
    He should have been sent home for wearing the butt-ugliest Hawaiian shirt during an interview I saw with him the other night.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I hope that was a tongue in cheek statement.

Mad Bum was removed from today's game in 2nd inning. He has lost about 4-5 MPH on fastball(about 88 today). He is complaining about a sore back.

From MLBTR

Arizona Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo told reporters including The Athletic’s Zach Buchanan that big-ticket free-agent acquisition Madison Bumgarner was removed from today’s game due to back spasms (Twitter links). Bumgarner is returning to Phoenix to be looked at by team doctors.

The big question with Bumgarner regards his velocity. The former World Series has averaged just 87.9 mph on his four-seamer this season after an average of 91.4 mph last season. The fear with this kind of velocity drop is that there’s an arm issue, though there’s been no indication of that from Bumgarner or the Diamondbacks.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 08-09-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    yes...yes it was

any chance I get to troll thethe I will take it. Miss my buddy chapelhillmatt though

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

Mad Bum was removed from today's game in 2nd inning. He has lost about 4-5 MPH on fastball(about 88 today). He is complaining about a sore back.

From MLBTR

Arizona Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo told reporters including The Athletic’s Zach Buchanan that big-ticket free-agent acquisition Madison Bumgarner was removed from today’s game due to back spasms (Twitter links). Bumgarner is returning to Phoenix to be looked at by team doctors.

The big question with Bumgarner regards his velocity. The former World Series has averaged just 87.9 mph on his four-seamer this season after an average of 91.4 mph last season. The fear with this kind of velocity drop is that there’s an arm issue, though there’s been no indication of that from Bumgarner or the Diamondbacks.
    Francoeur said during the broadcast today that he only threw one fastball in that game that hit 88, and the rest were all below that. So "about 88" is actually too generous.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think this is a great year for us no matter where we finish. Time to push our pitching prospects.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-10-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Kinda have to give him a little pass - hometown kid who wanted nothing more than to succeed here. He wasn't given much of a chance to become an important part of our pen.

There's at least a little truth in what he's saying - we've proven to be really good at developing mediocre Pitchers to the point that they don't seem to find success while they're here...Morton, Wood, Sims, Gant, Hale, and Wisler have had varying levels of success at times after getting away from here while no one from the Newk/Touki/Wright/Wilson crowd has exactly become useful a starter yet. I'm sure the hype machine helps skew things plenty, but there's something in our development process that puts this huge wall between huge successes at the lower levels followed by strong showings at Gwinnett and having the "it" factor that makes them feel they belong at the MLB level that anyone other than just a couple guys (Julio/Soroka/Fried) can seem to get over.

Every organization deals with that frustration on different levels, but it just sucks a little more when you're generally referred to as a "pitcher factory".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-10-2020)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Speaking of former braves pitchers, did anyone else catch Gausman pitching yesterday?
    Dude was hitting 99 with his fastball and looks To have added a few mph to all of his stuff.
    Looked pretty dominant.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Speaking of former braves pitchers, did anyone else catch Gausman pitching yesterday?
    Dude was hitting 99 with his fastball and looks To have added a few mph to all of his stuff.
    Looked pretty dominant.
    he was such a strange case. felt like the Braves cut him rather quickly.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-11-2020), jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he was such a strange case. felt like the Braves cut him rather quickly.
    I thought it was a poor move at the time. Braves could really use him now too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-11-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Kinda have to give him a little pass - hometown kid who wanted nothing more than to succeed here. He wasn't given much of a chance to become an important part of our pen.

There's at least a little truth in what he's saying - we've proven to be really good at developing mediocre Pitchers to the point that they don't seem to find success while they're here...Morton, Wood, Sims, Gant, Hale, and Wisler have had varying levels of success at times after getting away from here while no one from the Newk/Touki/Wright/Wilson crowd has exactly become useful a starter yet. I'm sure the hype machine helps skew things plenty, but there's something in our development process that puts this huge wall between huge successes at the lower levels followed by strong showings at Gwinnett and having the "it" factor that makes them feel they belong at the MLB level that anyone other than just a couple guys (Julio/Soroka/Fried) can seem to get over.

Every organization deals with that frustration on different levels, but it just sucks a little more when you're generally referred to as a "pitcher factory".
    Wood was good in Atlanta. Outside of his amazing half season with the Dodgers in 2017 where he picked up a couple of ticks on the fastball before his arm gave out, I think he pitched as well in Atlanta as he has in Los Angeles (not counting Cincinnati). Morton is a unicorn of sorts. He wasn't all that great in Pittsburgh (although I didn't like the McLouth trade at all) and it wasn't until he hit Houston that he truly blossomed. Gant was only in the system for a season and a half (although, again, I didn't like the Garcia trade--here's hoping Ynoa comes through). Wisler and Hale have bounced around. I always liked Wisler and still hold out some hope for him. He's moved to the bullpen and could develop into a decent middle relief option. The thing about Wisler is that he's now in his fifth system at age 27 (28 in September) and that either says his stuff is enticing or that there's something odd about him. I won't can't asparagus (intentional malaprop), but his mound behavior while a Brave was puzzling and he seemed to get rattled fairly easily. I still follow him and hope for the best because I did think he had something. We'll see on Sims. Always had big-time stuff but couldn't put it all together at once and was getting teed up with regularity in Atlanta. I always thought he needed an "out" pitch and maybe he's found one. I don't know whether I blame the Braves' staff on that or not.

As for the current crop, I've only seen Wright pitch once but I wasn't impressed on Saturday. Lots of stuff, but he doesn't trust it. Of course, we were saying the same thing about Fried when he first came up. Toussaint may have turned a corner, but I want to see consistency. Again, I don't know if that can be laid at the feet of the development staff. They can't make a guy consistent. Newcomb could develop into a solid reliever, but again (as in the case of Sims), he doesn't seem to have a go-to "out" pitch. I think we all have to wait on the 2016 guys. I just think they rushed Wilson.

There has been a lot of turnover in the minor league instructional staff over the past decade with the two GM changes and I don't know how (or if) that contributes to the issue at hand. It shouldn't affect guys taken under the new regime, but some of the guys may have experienced growing pains due to changes in the system's tutors. I don't think that can be quantified in any way and I honestly don't know if the teaching mindset has changed. Add to that the fact that guys will see new pitching coaches as the move through the system and maybe I am putting too much stock in the transition.

So it's frustrating, but it's important to remember the guys we are criticizing are still young and have been forced to learn at the big league level to some extent. But I agree that we aren't the pitching factory we supposedly were during the 1990s.

I guess I'm a little more disappointed how a lot of the hitters don't seem to know what they are doing. Curious to see how Pache and Waters look when they arrive, but I'm wondering if a lot of these guys have been set back after their time in the Rocket Wheeler "get your hacks" School of Hitting. Lot of guys--many drafted high--who seemingly have contact issues.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-10-2020 at 10:25 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-10-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A little surprised AA didn't poke around on Dietrich after he was floating around again - guess that means they expect to get Schebler back.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Stroman really boned the Mets today, haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    LOL Stroman.

Hard to fully blame them given Covid wrecked his year with the team, but ultimately they gave up two quality arms for 11 starts in a season they finished 3rd.

Sort of amazing how horrifically that team has been run since the WS run with those amazing young pitchers.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2020), Tapate50 (08-11-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Stroman really boned the Mets today, haha.
    wonder what thethe thinks of that
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

29. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Stroman really played the LONG con with the Mutts.
    Ivermectin Man

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)