Thread: MLB Draft, International Signees, the Braves and COVID-19

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

MLB Draft, International Signees, the Braves and COVID-19

Given the reaction around the Country (and the world) to the COVID-19 outbreak, it will be interesting to see how it affects the draft, and to a lesser extent, the International market. The travel restrictions, quarantine, and cancellation of practices and games will likely severely limit MLB scouts from seeing prospects going into the draft, even if the effects are limited to a month or so.

Combine that with the Braves: 1. limited to two picks in the first 100 and 2. limited international pool by 50% and 3. the possibility of a reduction in the number of allowed minor league teams, I think the Braves should go hard after picks in round 1 and 3, even at the expense of picks in rounds 4-10. I also think they should go hard after one high ceiling international guy, even if it takes the whole 50% bundle and then fill in with a lot of international guys who don't count against the limit.

My thinking is that lower round guys will be more of a crap shoot than ever. If they contract some minor league teams, there WILL be a number of minor league FA available to sign that won't be subject to draft signing provisions.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    At this point college guys are done and I suspect very few games after next week will be played for the high school guys. crap shoot indeed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    NCAA giving players another year of eligibility. So seniors have more leverage now too
    Coppy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think the message that players who are draft eligible will take is that getting paid sooner is probably better than getting paid later.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    With seniors possibly returning for another year and taking up roster starting roster spots, this could give some HS players more incentive to go pro that might not have been considering it otherwise. And depending on what happens with the economy, they could also feel some family pressure to take the money now.

I say stick with the high school guys this draft.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Can we try to draft Carter Stewart again!?!?
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    With seniors possibly returning for another year and taking up roster starting roster spots, this could give some HS players more incentive to go pro that might not have been considering it otherwise. And depending on what happens with the economy, they could also feel some family pressure to take the money now.

I say stick with the high school guys this draft.
    I'm wondering if a lot of high school guys in the gray area opt for the junior college route which would allow them to be drafted again in a year.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 03-17-2020 at 09:50 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I hate to say this, but in terms of brightside, this may actually HELP the Braves considering that they gave up picks to sign FA AND are in the final year of the International penalties box.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I hate to say this, but in terms of brightside, this may actually HELP the Braves considering that they gave up picks to sign FA AND are in the final year of the International penalties box.
    I think they will benefit more on the domestic end. My guess is the international market may be more competitive this year given the uncertainties surrounding the June draft stateside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    So this is the last year of all penalties ???
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think they will benefit more on the domestic end. My guess is the international market may be more competitive this year given the uncertainties surrounding the June draft stateside.
    With travel bans and more countries practicing, it might make scouting some of these guys a bit more difficult. Especially if some these international leagues suspend play as well.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    With travel bans and more countries practicing, it might make scouting some of these guys a bit more difficult. Especially if some these international leagues suspend play as well.
    True and a problem for late-blooming prospects. Curious to see if all these bans put a dent in bonuses and activity. It's always been my impression that because the age limit for signing is lower in the international market, especially the Latin American market, that a lot of these kids are scouting more aggressively earlier. At the same time, it's true that a year of development means more at age 15 than it does at age 20, so not having that extra year of eyes on the subject will make it a bigger crap shoot. That would be a plus for the Braves with their meager bonus budget as there conceivably will be more guys under the radar. Maybe the whole thing gets suspended for a year.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 03-18-2020 at 11:24 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)