Thread: Actual Baseball to watch: 1995 NLDS, Game 1: Braves at Rockies

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

Actual Baseball to watch: 1995 NLDS, Game 1: Braves at Rockies

Thrill to the glory days and imagine what is to come. See such great sights as:

- Mark Lemke in the 2 hole.
    - Greg Maddux in his prime striking out 0 v. Rockies "Ace" Kevin Ritz.
    - Rookie Chipper in the 3 hole, Bedrosian-style knee socks, hitting multiple bombs, and making a sick defensive play late in the game.
    - Pete Van Wieren allowed to call a playoff game and doing a damn fine job (except for the middle part where they seem to turn off the mics)
    - Bobby Cox with more pepper than salt.
    - Bobby Cox yelling at Jerry Layne for calling Klesko out after being tagged "overrunning" first. Good example of why we now have replay and how playoff umpires are consistently morons.
    - Fred McGriff windmill swings.
    - Classic David Justice holding the check swing for the umpire.
    - Ryan Klesko standing as far to the back corner of the box as humanly possible.
    - Rafael Belliard defensive substitution.
    - Classic Mark Wohlers appearance: 2 hits, 1 BB, 2 K.
    - Leo rocking.
    - The Rockies' dynamic keystone combination of Walt Weiss and Eric Young, Sr.
    - SVOD at the hot corner for COL and hitting a bomb.
    - Eventual Braves Greats such as Andres Galarraga, Darren Holmes, Trinidad Hubbard (NOT deaf!), Don Baylor, and Steve Reed (and Weiss and SVOD)
    - Discussion of whether Dante Bichette (1.2 WAR) should get the MVP (oh, for a simpler time)
    - Umpire John McSherry calling his final his final post-season before dying behind the plate to open 1996.
    - A baseball player named "Jayhawk Owens."
    - Updates on the OJ Simpson trial.
    - Ads for "Must See TV" lineup of Friends, The Single Guy, Seinfeld, and Caroline in the City.
    - MCI sponsorships.
    - Quality mid-90s mullets for the connoisseur.
    Last edited by Metaphysicist; 03-18-2020 at 02:07 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Carp (03-16-2020), Freshmaker (03-16-2020), Runnin (03-18-2020), sc1767 (03-18-2020), UNCBlue012 (03-16-2020)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    That LDS was more competitive than I remembered - trailed late in games one and two (needed to score four runs in the ninth inning of game two to avoid losing), lost game three at home before a blow out in game four. Also, I know that was the first year for the LDS, but why was the team with the better record playing the first two games on the road?

Also also, Maddux put up 9.6 WAR in 1995 despite only getting 28 starts due to the strike. 8.5 WAR the year before in only 25 starts.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    If I remember correctly, I think it was Curtis Pride who was deaf and played for us.
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs. Meta For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (03-18-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Meta View Post
    If I remember correctly, I think it was Curtis Pride who was deaf and played for us.
    Wasn't Randall Simon?
    Forever Fredi

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    I have a coffee mug from that year with all the postseason scores. World Champion mug.

I thought I would be adding to the collection, it is still alone over 25 seasons later. Game 6 of the Series, we went to see about scalping a ticket after the game got going, no such luck. But right next to a beer stand outside the stadium, a pickup truck was backed up with a big screen in the bed. About 30 or 40 people stayed right there. We got real time crowd noise, and beat the crowd to MARTA when the last out was made. Great night.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Meta View Post
    I do believe you are right. As the years go by, I guess all those backup outfielders blur together. However, I have it on good authority that George Lombard was blind and Steve Sisco only had one arm.