Thread: I wonder how the contracts are written

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

I wonder how the contracts are written

I know that they are guaranteed contracts in general. I know the players still get paid if they are injured. But do they get paid now? Or is there a force majeure clause that protects the teams but not the players? Is there a catch in the contracts that says they only start getting paid when the season starts? Then does that mean that they get paid in full?

For instance, if the season could start on Aug 1, but would trigger guaranteed contracts being paid in full, does the league just refuse to have a season at all? I guess my point would be that it's possible that the virus could be done but the economics still force no baseball.

Also, what about the various media contracts? I'm sure that they have a force majeure clause. What about sponsorships for a. players - Nike, Adidas, etc. and b. teams - stadiums

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    From what I’ve read, MLB has force majeure ability in this, but are very hesitant to employ such a radical legal device given forthcoming labor uncertainty. Not taking the nuclear option with player contracts is a gesture of good-will.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-24-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    The bigger issue will be service time clocks, incentive laden contracts, etc.

But the main thing I’m taking from this entire thing is we should be paying nurses and EMTs and doctors and truck drivers and front line grocery store employees more and paying athletes less.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-22-2020), clvclv (03-22-2020), FreemanFan (03-26-2020), jpx7 (03-22-2020), sc1767 (03-25-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post

But the main thing I’m taking from this entire thing is we should be paying nurses and EMTs and doctors and truck drivers and front line grocery store employees more and paying athletes less.
    The truly unsung heroes in all of this. In Minnesota (and probably elsewhere), school bus drivers should be added. They have been delivering meals to needy students since the shutdown.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-22-2020), FreemanFan (03-26-2020), JohnAdcox (03-24-2020), jpx7 (03-22-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The truly unsung heroes in all of this. In Minnesota (and probably elsewhere), school bus drivers should be added. They have been delivering meals to needy students since the shutdown.
    I work for a ver successful hospital. There are very real concerns the closing of surgeries could bankrupt us all. Most hospitals that are successful are operating on a 2% to 6% margin. Not a fake, tax exempt number, real numbers. We lose money on all government payors.

It’s not us that need to be paid. It’s everyone. I’m a slight right leaner on most things economic. But the government will have to put in three trillion to keep us out of depression. People need the money not the airlines. If people don’t have money then we are all in big trouble. I appreciate I’m essential staff and have to go into the hospital every day, that is scary. But I also appreciate I’m getting paid. Our surgical techs are begging us to find other jobs for them so they don’t start getting in a bad place financially

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post

what about the hedge fund billionaires?? where would the country be without them right now? they are so needed and important in times like these.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-22-2020), goldfly (03-25-2020), jpx7 (03-22-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I work for a ver successful hospital. There are very real concerns the closing of surgeries could bankrupt us all. Most hospitals that are successful are operating on a 2% to 6% margin. Not a fake, tax exempt number, real numbers. We lose money on all government payors.

It’s not us that need to be paid. It’s everyone. I’m a slight right leaner on most things economic. But the government will have to put in three trillion to keep us out of depression. People need the money not the airlines. If people don’t have money then we are all in big trouble. I appreciate I’m essential staff and have to go into the hospital every day, that is scary. But I also appreciate I’m getting paid. Our surgical techs are begging us to find other jobs for them so they don’t start getting in a bad place financially
    I'm pretty sure most understand that you're further down the chain - and not the cause - but I saw a tweet I thought was quite on point and unfortunately a little funny...

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-24-2020), jpx7 (03-22-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm pretty sure most understand that you're further down the chain - and not the cause - but I saw a tweet I thought was quite on point and unfortunately a little funny...

Hospitals don’t run themselves. They cost millions to run.
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Hospitals don’t run themselves. They cost millions to run. Their workers need competitive pay, retirement, and benefits.

Further to the point they are referring to our hospital that’s over run with Covid 19 and running out of PPE to get people to work without getting them infected. Hospitals aren’t government run. They have to make a profit to keep open which is in the public’s best interest.

This hospital is the main healthcare provider for quite the geographical area. It’s paramount to the area. An area that has a crazy high percentages of indigents.

A tweet like this stupid and reposting it is twice as dumb.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 03-22-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Further to the point they are referring to our hospital that’s over run with Covid 19 and running out of PPE to get people to work without getting them infected. Hospitals aren’t government run. They have to make a profit to keep open which is in the public’s best interest.
    They could (/should) be.

Plus, just saying “hospitals need money to run” sort of dodges the whole gross executive overpayment that is the tweet’s core point/context.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Yes. Different grocery stores are taking different approaches to safeguarding customers and employees. I think many grocery store workers will become sick.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    They could (/should) be.

Plus, just saying “hospitals need money to run” sort of dodges the whole gross executive overpayment that is the tweet’s core point/context.
    But they aren’t. And I didn’t.

Last I looked competitive pay usually gets you qualified candidates. Correct me if I’m wrong.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 03-23-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    They could (/should) be.

It’s an ignorant post.

Nobody pays the cost of anything. It’s a stupid and complicated system. Insurance companies are paying a percentage, in twenties, of the cost. Medicare and Medicaid pay what they pay per diagnosis, so charges don’t matter.

Insurance companies are the non value added group that withdrawals from the system at very high margins.

Hospital executive salaries are high but not in context to private companies with similar gross revenues.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    They could (/should) be.

This.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    It’s an ignorant post.

Nobody pays the cost of anything. It’s a stupid and complicated system. Insurance companies are paying a percentage, in twenties, of the cost. Medicare and Medicaid pay what they pay per diagnosis, so charges don’t matter.

Insurance companies are the non value added group that withdrawals from the system at very high margins.

Hospital executive salaries are high but not in context to private companies with similar gross revenues.
    All corporate executive salaries are grossly too high, relative to the value they add to their institutions / society.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-24-2020)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I was hoping to get some discussion about baseball contracts going here. I think we made it two posts in before it got derailed into a quagmire of societal ills (or perceived ills, depending on your POV).

How is it going to effect baseball contracts? Any thoughts? Will the owners cancel the season IF this goes too long and IF they are on the hook for full salaries without opportunity for full attendance. What about local, regional and national TV and Radio contracts? Mizzuno? Nike? Petco? Truist?

What about umpires?

Concession stand workers?

Groundskeepers?

etc.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-24-2020)