Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Draft Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It's taken him four years away from cold weather to turn into what he has so far - how much longer might it take him to be something to get excited about?
    Are you having abacus issues? The 2020 season would have only been his third full year pitching south of Massachusetts, and he was starting to turn the corner, or at least looked like it in a small sample-size. But even in 2019 his strikeout rate was very solid.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Kelley would have been a high upside pick but he would have cost about our whole pool, which isnt that much to begin with.
    I'd probably rather spend the money and have a potential star in the low minors than go cheap with a guy you're hoping hits on everything and becomes a middle of the rotation guy.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'd probably rather spend the money and have a potential star in the low minors than go cheap with a guy you're hoping hits on everything and becomes a middle of the rotation guy.
    Some word Kelley may go to college is why hes slipping.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Longenhagen on whether Schuster is under slot: “Teams seemed on him in the comp round so maybe under slot but not by a lot.”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Fangraphs, Law, McDaniel, and Callis had him around top 35. It's not a major reach. But keep crying.
    It's not a major reach. But there were better arms on the board. I'd get it more if we had a second rounder. If we're going underslot to go overslot later, it would make more sense if we were picking again soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Some word Kelley may go to college is why hes slipping.
    Honestly wouldn't have minded taking a stab and if we can't sign him we get another pick next year when we'll have more data.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    What part of this do you misunderstand?

"Exactly how high a ceiling do you expect to get picking 25th??? You really think there's a Trout-like situation waiting to happen in every draft?

Callis links the Dodgers to Kelley at #29 - with emphasis on how big a coup that would be."

Must've been a different Heyward posting about Kelley in post #174, sorry. You must've been hacked.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Longenhagen on whether Schuster is under slot: “Teams seemed on him in the comp round so maybe under slot but not by a lot.”
    If we go slot, I don't get it at all.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    What part of this do you misunderstand?

"Exactly how high a ceiling do you expect to get picking 25th??? You really think there's a Trout-like situation waiting to happen in every draft?

Callis links the Dodgers to Kelley at #29 - with emphasis on how big a coup that would be."

Must've been a different Heyward posting about Kelley in post #174, sorry. You must've been hacked.
    No ones taking Kelley and we're 37 picks in. Maybe teams know hes gonna be close to very unsignable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I wanted Kelley. Much higher upside.
    37 picks in and he's still on the board. Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Either teams think he is a hard sign or perhaps there are more red flags than you know of. The lack of a quality breaking ball is certainly worrisome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    No ones taking Kelley and we're 37 picks in. Maybe teams know hes gonna be close to very unsignable.
    After the first round with pool restrictions, he's probably unsignable. Hard to go that far overslot in the second round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    37 picks in and he's still on the board. Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Either teams think he is a hard sign or perhaps there are more red flags than you know of. The lack of a quality breaking ball is certainly worrisome.
    Or else no one wants to put that much of their pool into him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Before anyone paints it otherwise, I don't hate the pick, it just doesn't excite me. It's a small reach, not a huge one.

Im just tired of non-elite ceiling picks. To have elite ceiling late in the first you have to go high risk but that's what prep arms are for.

Anyway, let's hope every dramatic improvement was real and he has some more. He's a Brave now so I'll pull for him.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-11-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Before anyone paints it otherwise, I don't hate the pick, it just doesn't excite me. It's a small reach, not a huge one.

Im just tired of non-elite ceiling picks. To have elite ceiling late in the first you have to go high risk but that's what prep arms are for.

Anyway, let's hope every dramatic improvement was real and he has some more. He's a Brave now so I'll pull for him.
    Sums up my thoughts as well.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Could be a play to underslot the max amount. If he doesn't take it, you get another pick next year. If he does, you get good value and have a possibility to turn a 3 into a 2, a 4 into a 3 and a 5 into a 4.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Could be a play to underslot the max amount. If he doesn't take it, you get another pick next year. If he does, you get good value and have a possibility to turn a 3 into a 2, a 4 into a 3 and a 5 into a 4.
    Based on where everyone projected him, i dont expect him to be crazy underslot.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Based on where everyone projected him, i dont expect him to be crazy underslot.
    I'm talking strategy not tactics.

I'm suggesting that the Braves would like to have him but only at an extreme slot discount. If they don't get that, then they would be comfortable punting the pick until next year when they have better scouting and likely a deeper pool.

I may be wrong in supposing that. Maybe they really like him and would have taken him under any circumstances. IDK. But, if there is any a year where clubs will have more leverage over draftees, I don't know when it would be. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying it's business.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Kiley has him as a 40+, a grade that spans #34-#72. So not some crazy reach at pick 25.

I was hoping the Braves saw something other didn't have time to see, and maybe this kid is exactly that.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-11-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    The command on those pitches is impressive. Hitting the mitt often.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

once again, your oversimplification of how the draft works and the risk and reward with each player is laughable.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg