Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Draft Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Law has ATL taking Jarvis in his 2nd Mock Draft. Also says he’s heard Braves Are likely to be HS heavy in the draft.
    Makes sense. They need to replenish the lower minor-league levels.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Makes sense. They need to replenish the lower minor-league levels.
    With a whole 3 players? We only have 4 picks in this draft. Yet these reporters keep having us pick a college senior first and then saying they’re hearing us go heavy High School this draft?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Take a HS guy who won't sign in the first round and offer the minimum possible contract which is slot minus 20% IIRC. When he doesn't sign, get a replacement in next years draft, one pick lower.

Then take HS guys at 97, 126 and 156 and be prepared to go OVER slot using the 20% you didn't spend on the first round guy.

Then go heavy on HS $20K guys. College and especially JC are under the cloud of financial viability and will have many fewer scholarships available. Guys who would never consider signing before may have no choice now. Existing college guys, especially those who don't get picked in the 5 rounds, but even some of those that do get picked but low balled with offers, will be staying in college where they can which will further limit opportunity for HS guys.

In essence, the HS guys are F'd on a macro basis.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Take a HS guy who won't sign in the first round and offer the minimum possible contract which is slot minus 20% IIRC. When he doesn't sign, get a replacement in next years draft, one pick lower.

Then take HS guys at 97, 126 and 156 and be prepared to go OVER slot using the 20% you didn't spend on the first round guy.

Then go heavy on HS $20K guys. College and especially JC are under the cloud of financial viability and will have many fewer scholarships available. Guys who would never consider signing before may have no choice now. Existing college guys, especially those who don't get picked in the 5 rounds, but even some of those that do get picked but low balled with offers, will be staying in college where they can which will further limit opportunity for HS guys.

Have the rules changed so that you get to use slot money for the players that don't sign?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Law has ATL taking Jarvis in his 2nd Mock Draft. Also says he’s heard Braves Are likely to be HS heavy in the draft.
    Part of the reasoning is that he thinks they could get him for below slot so they could spend more on those HS kids with the later picks (sorta in line with Harry's philosophy).

For argument's sake, let's say they can sign Jarvis for slot minus 20% ($2,192,240). Rather than spread that savings out over the other three picks, if they added that to the slot value for the #97 pick PLUS the 5% overage they can spend on all picks that would give them $1,353,550 to spend on pick #97. That's roughly what the Cardinals have to spend on pick #54. There are lots of high school kids projected to go in the 45-70 range they might be able to get to slide to them with that kind of money.

High school players listed in the 45-70 range include...

Victor Mederos (FL), Kevin Parada (CA), Isaiah Greene (CA), Daxton Fulton (OK), Dylan Crews (FL), Enrique Bradfield (FL), Chase Davis (CA), Colt Keith (MS), Alejandro Rosario (FL), Carson Tucker (AZ), Hunter Barnhart (CA), Justin Lange (TX), Cade Horton (OK), Ty Floyd (GA), Drew Romo (TX), Cayden Wallace (AR), and Yohandy Morales (FL)

The guys in bold look just like the type of projectable high school arms that the Braves would like - projects that are likely going to take awhile (which we can afford right now) with big upside.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    "Unimpressive, fringe-y talent for most of his life, before one great but abbreviated stretch the spring before the draft" is not terribly enticing to me.
    Agree. That's a lame draft pick.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Word is baseball teams are starting to cut a substantial number of minor league players yesterday and today. I saw a couple tweets saying the Braves are cutting a “huge” amount of players.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Word is baseball teams are starting to cut a substantial number of minor league players yesterday and today. I saw a couple tweets saying the Braves are cutting a “huge” amount of players.
    This appears to just be following through with reducing the number of minor league clubs. The vast majority of these cuts are guys that teams are finally being realistic about.

Would some of them be kept if the number of MiLB teams wasn't being reduced? Probably. The thing about that is, there's really not much of a reason to keep them when you're being objective about it. There are plenty of examples of "late bloomers" and kids that develop a skill that they didn't possess when they were drafted or signed. Most of those that fall into that category STILL aren't ever going to be good enough to compete at the highest level. I've always been the type of fan that loves the Cinderella story - almost more than seeing greatness - but when you separate yourself from the romance, the truth is that it would take a minor miracle for a lot of these guys to even advance to the AA and AAA levels.

We're talking about guys like Brendan Venter, Mason Berne, Jack Lopez, Derian Cruz, Ricardo Sanchez, Anfernee Seymour, Izzy Wilson, and the like. EVERYBODY pulls for these guys, and some of them have flashed a tool or two at different times - at the end of the day, even the folks pulling for them knew they only reason "you're saying there's a chance" is because stating that they won't make it as an absolute makes you look bad. Nobody remembers (or cares) when you said this kid isn't good enough and he washes out, but everybody *amn sure makes sure to remind you when you were wrong about one. There's always an Evan Gattis that comes along at just the time you think you've finally figured all this out.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Definitely a lot more than would be cut in a regular season. Teams don’t have to worry about not having enough players to field full teams at the minor league levels, as there’s basically a 1% chance of there being a minor league season this year. Plus it allows teams to free up some money (albeit not much since minor leaguers make pennies) without the PR backlash of releasing an established MLBer or deciding not to pay stadium staff or something like that.

So instead of teams releasing the normal 12-15 players after spring training, some teams are going to release 40-50 players.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2020)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Agree. That's a lame draft pick.
    Also, Kevin Jarvis really sucked. Not that I hold that against his son, but...I kind of hold it against his son.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-01-2020), jpx7 (06-02-2020), zedsdead (05-29-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Definitely a lot more than would be cut in a regular season. Teams don’t have to worry about not having enough players to field full teams at the minor league levels, as there’s basically a 1% chance of there being a minor league season this year. Plus it allows teams to free up some money (albeit not much since minor leaguers make pennies) without the PR backlash of releasing an established MLBer or deciding not to pay stadium staff or something like that.

So instead of teams releasing the normal 12-15 players after spring training, some teams are going to release 40-50 players.
    Not necessarily. That's 30 players cut yesterday. The Braves cut 24 guys between March and May last year, 31 guys between March and May in 2018. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-2018-numbers/

Not saying there aren't more to come, but I'm not sure we'll notice huge differences until later on. They'll work their way up to eliminating more players in the future, but the Fire Frogs and Danville aren't scheduled to disappear until 2021. They probably keep everybody they're currently on the fence about until next season. Players will likely start getting less chances to prove themselves starting next year - guys that aren't cutting it the GCL or Rome will start becoming casualties come draft time each year moving forward so the brass can get a look at the kids they just drafted.

With the universal DH all but a forgone conclusion at this point, I will say I was a little surprised to see Braxton Davidson on that list - can only guess that speaks volumes about how the organization feels about Ball and Backstrom.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Davidson is the only minor surprise though I think everyone had mostly written him off awhile ago.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-31-2020), jpx7 (05-30-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I thought Davidson would get another shot at it. I think some of the guys would have probably been first-half Rome players (second-half whereabouts unknown), but that's about it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-31-2020), jpx7 (05-30-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Davidson is the only minor surprise though I think everyone had mostly written him off awhile ago.
    Wren was a brilliant drafter
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    if he's the best player on their board, i'm good with it.
    I mean at 25 that's pretty arbitrary. You could have a list of 15-20 prospects at that point with a legitimate claim for BPA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

NCAA granted extra scholly's for this very reason. It will play a factor for a few guys, but the HS guys have their spot basically guaranteed if they want it. The college Juniors have the hardest choice. They might be a 2nd or 3rd round pick in this year's class, but in 2021 when they are a year older entering a loaded class, they could tumble pretty far down the draft.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I mean at 25 that's pretty arbitrary. You could have a list of 15-20 prospects at that point with a legitimate claim for BPA.
    sure. i'm saying if he's the player they like most at that point, i don't care what position he plays.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Also, Kevin Jarvis really sucked. Not that I hold that against his son, but...I kind of hold it against his son.
    Wow! He was bad! -4.1 bWAR for his career. Adding insult to injury, we have the same birthday. He was born the day I turned 16.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Suddenly the connection to McMahon makes sense - completely whiffed on the fact that we originally drafted him coming out of HS.

https://www.mlb.com/news/10-things-t...-chris-mcmahon