Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Draft Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

The 2020 Draft Thread

Guess we can start talking about it since things concerning it have been becoming more clear.

It's likely way too much to hope for that Jordan Walker slips to us at #25 - although I think we'd all be dancing in the streets if it happened. Probably not out of the question to expect all but the absolute top high school names to slide a bit since no one's going to get an extended look at them between now and the draft, but he's #13 on FanGraphs' list and #20 on Pipeline's.

Pete Crow-Armstrong is in the range where the Braves' pick is on Fangraphs' and Pipeline's lists and was trending higher on BA's last update.

Two pretty attractive college arms currently fall in range in J. T. Ginn (#23 Fangraphs, #36 Pipeline, #23 BA) and Carmen Mlodzinski (#24 FanGraphs, #18 Pipeline, #21 BA). I'd think Ginn would be a candidate if AA's looking for similar things the Dodgers do since they drafted and couldn't sign him earlier.

With Contreras and Langeliers having similar timelines, would AA consider trying to corner the market on Catcher prospects? Drew Romo and Tyler Soderstrom both could potentially be available and would give you someone that would require a little more development time - but if the electronic strike zone becomes a reality their bats might allow them to move quickly enough that they wouldn't be terribly far behind whichever of Contreras or Langeliers you kept if you traded one of them.

There doesn't seem to be any really interesting high school arms projected to be available in our pick range unless they're going to gamble on a Jared Jones (lanky, might not have much projection), Masyn Winn (two-way guy who hasn't pitched much), or Alex Santos (seems like a stretch at #25).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-03-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would also like Wilcox, but don't think he'll sign for slot since he's a sophomore.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Ginn had Tommy John a month or two ago. Doubt he’s in play at 25.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-04-2020), DirkPiggler (04-04-2020), jpx7 (04-03-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Ginn had Tommy John a month or two ago. Doubt he’s in play at 25.
    That's the reason he's sliding, but provides the classic type of gamble you might take - especially in a year when you don't have much bonus pool money IMO. Top 15 (if not Top 10) talent with two double-plus pitches that had started to show that he could carry his velocity deep into games.

With the 5% overage, we only have $5,039,000 to spend, and slot value for our 1st round pick is $2,740,300 of that. Considering our next two picks don't come until #98 and #126 and you're not likely going to get "steals" there since a lot of players are likely going to pass on coming out this year unless they're taken really high we're not going to add solid sleepers with the slot money available for those two picks.

It'd be a big gamble to spend big on a #25 pick, sure - and maybe Ginn's injury increases that risk a bit - but if any true Top 10 type (not strictly referring to Ginn) starts slipping and makes it to us, is there a better time to roll those dice when you consider most teams aren't going to have particularly deep drafts?
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-04-2020 at 02:06 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-04-2020)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Being a Mississippi State fan, JT Ginn is a heck of a competitor. However he's expected back to school next year, barring top 15 money.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Jordan Walker possibly becoming even less of a possibility? Creeping up BA's list...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-need-to-know/

He's now #13 at FanGraphs, #34 at BA, and #20 at Pipeline (BA is the only one with any recent updates/projections - guess everyone else has gone on vacation).

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-22-2020), jpx7 (04-22-2020), salmagundy (04-22-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Would have to think the college players with more tape would be drafted higher making the market inefficiency the HS arms and then position players ( but also being the most risky)
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Mayo mocks the first round (and I'm a big fan of it personally)...

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipelin...eline-coverage

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Almost a third (9) of those mocked selections are SEC players. That seems especially strong for a single conference.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Almost a third (9) of those mocked selections are SEC players. That seems especially strong for a single conference.
    Caught that as well - almost have to expect that players from the power conferences (as well as college players in general) will likely creep up boards since most teams are more likely to have more information on/have had a chance to see them more. I also wonder if the high school kids that aren't really high on most lists won't be that much harder to convince to sign given this year's weird circumstances - the younger arms won't have the typical abuse they get from HS Coaches in a typical senior year, and the position players won't have nearly as many showcase opportunities against stronger competition.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

I'd be disappointed if that's the Braves pick.

Mlodzinski has big tools but hasn't been particularly effective in the SEC. The Cape is the clear outlier and his start to the season looked like more of the same.

That's an upside play on a college kid, which seems a bit sketchy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-29-2020), Super (04-30-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting note...

"Beginning with Corey Seager in 2012, 11 of the Dodgers’ last 12 first-round picks have come from southeastern states (North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana)."

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...striking-gold/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-02-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    According to MLBTR the draft will be limited to 5 rounds, no date for draft was given.

From MLBTR

MLB has decided upon a five-round draft this summer, according to Jeff Passan and Kiley McDaniel of ESPN.com (Twitter links)
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    According to MLBTR the draft will be limited to 5 rounds, no date for draft was given.

From MLBTR

MLB has decided upon a five-round draft this summer, according to Jeff Passan and Kiley McDaniel of ESPN.com (Twitter links)
    Isn’t it june10th or 11th? That’s the dates I saw on twitter.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    One thing is for sure with the 5 round draft and $20k cap on unsigned player bonuses, we’re going to see a lot more high schoolers go to college and a lot more underclass men stay in college this draft.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfannchar View Post
    Isn’t it june10th or 11th? That’s the dates I saw on twitter.
    June 10th was the date I kept seeing.

Going to be really interesting to see what kinds of financial limitations are (or are not) placed on teams given the fact that they're only drafting five (or so) players. This might be that really convenient place to gamble on Ginn if he's there when AA picks.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-09-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    June 10th was the date I kept seeing.

Going to be really interesting to see what kinds of financial limitations are (or are not) placed on teams given the fact that they're only drafting five (or so) players. This might be that really convenient place to gamble on Ginn if he's there when AA picks.
    From what I’ve seen the slot values will remain the same for the 5 rounds, but teams can defer the signing bonus over 3 years, making it less attractive for underclassmen to be drafted. They can opt to only give $100k as a bonus within the first 30 days, saving the rest to be spread into 2 payments over the next 2 years.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I thought they'd go down to 20 rounds or something in that vicinity. Five seems a bit on the lower side of reasonable. Even if the major league season commences at some point, I wonder what it means for the minor league teams and their seasons. The contraction of teams was being discussed and the virus might move it along somewhat, but there are still going to be a lot of minor league players sitting around if there are no minor league seasons and teams will have to decide which of these guys it wants to retain.

As for the draft, I think it's always been somewhat of a crapshoot seeing high school and college teams won't be playing this spring, so I'm guessing it will be five rounds of guys on whom there are the most comprehensive reports, likely meaning lots of college guys. Anyone that viewed themselves as a late-riser is probably heading to college or JC.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-09-2020)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I thought they'd go down to 20 rounds or something in that vicinity. Five seems a bit on the lower side of reasonable. Even if the major league season commences at some point, I wonder what it means for the minor league teams and their seasons. The contraction of teams was being discussed and the virus might move it along somewhat, but there are still going to be a lot of minor league players sitting around if there are no minor league seasons and teams will have to decide which of these guys it wants to retain.

As for the draft, I think it's always been somewhat of a crapshoot seeing high school and college teams won't be playing this spring, so I'm guessing it will be five rounds of guys on whom there are the most comprehensive reports, likely meaning lots of college guys. Anyone that viewed themselves as a late-riser is probably heading to college or JC.
    Next year’s draft is supposedly going to be 20ish rounds.