Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Have You Been Doing ?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I'd say maybe he's getting too many spices in his food then, lol. Maybe too much fiber as well. Hang in there, the jumping distance will likely increase and the length of the jump as well. When my daughter lived in Little Rock when she was working on her masters she rented a house and in one of the guest bedrooms she had 2 twin beds set up around 5-6 feet apart and the dog could literally jump from one bed to the other without even trying very hard. She could also literally jump up on her counters in the kitchen when nobody was looking (or at least she thought so).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Been home for 3+ weeks at this point. Came down with the flu and was in quarantine waiting on my Covid test. Then Everything shut down. The ambulances run passed our house 4 or 5 times a day at least.

Walking the dog every day 3.2 miles and have the kids joining us now. It makes the rest of the day bearable as it gets some energy out of em. We watch bbc nature shows, and do google classroom work as our school is cancelled for the rest of the year. Wife still goes to the hospital pharmacy every day. More and more of her coworkers are coming up +, and one patient that came in twice last week just passed from Covid.

Still working out in the garage doing CF workouts I find online or come up with. Wife is leading zoom class for our gym members.

I’m in insurance and our segments is a bit slow. Most biz are under shelter in place or shutdown orders so I’m working from home.

Don’t really turn on the tv until time to go to bed but have enjoyed Yellowstone a lot (first few episodes in). Been fishing and playing golf some. Game is coming around.
    Ivermectin Man

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-06-2020), Metaphysicist (04-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and how are you now ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I live in the Bay Area and my COVID life typically consisted of long morning commute, work, long evening commute, eat, sleep.

I am fortunate that the company I work for is busier than ever, despite the drop in revenue (we just added headcount on our team last week). My wife and I also don’t have children, so we have it easier than most (job security and sanity).

It’s been incredible not having the 2 hours of a daily commute. I’m eating healthier and exercising more. Other than that, it’s been life as usual. Give me sports and I can tolerate the new status quo.
    I retired 18 months ago. The first thing I noticed was how exhausting a 2-3 hrs. per day of commute . And I live in rural sleepy town !
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    My commute is 21 miles each way...which in the northern NJ/NYC metro area equates to about 1h 40m in the car in total. Getting this time back - and avoiding the rage inducing traffic & chaos that comes with driving in this area - has EASILY been the best part of all this. My company has taken note of how well our corporate office has functioned in the 3-4 weeks we've been working from home (in many cases we've improved), and more remote work is going to be a feature for us going forward. One of the few silver linings. Commuting blows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (04-07-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Researching the stock market a little more since it's a great time to make some money.

Airlines (particularly United, Southwest and Delta) seem like solid investments, despite Buffett's recent dump of their stock. All were looking very strong in January and are very likely to bounce back, regardless of a bailout or not.

Likewise, some potential IPOs look intriguing. Postmates, Doordash, and Instacart look very promising, especially given how COVID-19 is changing our lives. Some other fairly recent IPOs that look promising are Groupon (selling at $.83/share) and Pinterest (selling at $15.21/share).

What are some stocks you guys are looking at?
    Last edited by Carp; 04-07-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Researching the stock market a little more since it's a great time to make some money.

Airlines (particularly United, Southwest and Delta) seem like solid investments, despite Buffett's recent dump of their stock. All were looking very strong in January and are very likely to bounce back, regardless of a bailout or not.

Likewise, some potential IPOs look intriguing. Postmates, Doordash, and Instacart look very promising, especially given how COVID-19 is changing our lives. Some other fairly recent IPO stocks that look promising are Groupon (selling at $.83/share) and Pinterest (selling at $15.21/share).
    Just find deltas off their highs.

Making crazy amounts of money on carnival and norweigen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Likewise, some potential IPOs look intriguing. Postmates, Doordash, and Instacart look very promising, especially given how COVID-19 is changing our lives. Some other fairly recent IPOs that look promising are Groupon (selling at $.83/share) and Pinterest (selling at $15.21/share).

What are some stocks you guys are looking at?
    Amazon, Walmart, McDonalds...trying to understand how the world will look like post-COVID...but I am still in cash...maybe missed the boat, but still playing a waiting game
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Amazon, Walmart, McDonalds...trying to understand how the world will look like post-COVID...but I am still in cash...maybe missed the boat, but still playing a waiting game
    I wonder what Walmarts model will look in a new era of what I think will benefit 'Made in America'.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Just find deltas off their highs.

Making crazy amounts of money on carnival and norweigen
    What do you mean in your first sentence?

Eh, I'm weary of the cruise lines. They carry a TON of debt and not much cash. I know you're all rosey about the virus and it's timeline, but there is a legit chance it stays around a lot longer and the cruise industry doesn't take off again for well over a year. Especially considering old people (i.e. people 50 and older) probably make up about 75% of their customers and are obviously the most susceptible to the virus. As it spreads into these smaller, poor countries that are Cruise destinations, these countries won't have much hope for containing the virus or giving proper care to their citizens. A cruise line based out of Japan has already declared bankruptcy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Eh, I'm weary of the cruise lines. They carry a TON of debt and not much cash. I know you're all rosey about the virus and it's timeline, but there is a legit chance it stays around a lot longer and the cruise industry doesn't take off again for well over a year. Especially considering old people (i.e. people 50 and older) probably make up about 75% of their customers and are obviously the most susceptible to the virus. As it spreads into these smaller, poor countries that are Cruise destinations, these countries won't have much hope for containing the virus or giving proper care to their citizens. A cruise line based out of Japan has already declared bankruptcy.
    Its valid criticism.

Lots of companies are heavily leverage especially this time when debt is almost free.

I just think treatments and immunity will make the virus a thing of the past much sooner than people think.

THe first sentence is companies that have the largest difference (delta) off of their 3 month high.

There is nothing materially different about most of these companies and this will be the largest bang for your buck. You'll miss on some but the others will yield so much return you'll be happy at the end of the day.
    Last edited by thethe; 04-07-2020 at 08:37 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-07-2020)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I bought a bunch of beaten down stuff last week. CCL, BA, MGM, LYFT, KSS.

But to manage my risk I sold covered calls against them this week.

Whoops. They are flying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I wouldnt touch doordash. Dont see how they ever scale. If they or grubhun cant make money in this environment, they never will.

Wouldnt touch groupon either unless for a big short term bounce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I bought a bunch of beaten down stuff last week. CCL, BA, MGM, LYFT, KSS.

But to manage my risk I sold covered calls against them this week.

Whoops. They are flying
    Boeing has been spectacular for me

Easy 2xer
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Boeing has been spectacular for me

Easy 2xer
    I've been selling puts around the 120 range. Then selling calls in the 135 range.

Have made like $5k doing that this month. But would have made much more if I would have just left it alone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I've been selling puts around the 120 range. Then selling calls in the 135 range.

Have made like $5k doing that this month. But would have made much more if I would have just left it alone
    I got in at 127 so not as low as possible but I'm sitting pretty now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I still work but it's been slow. Thankfully I'm salaried.

I've been able to do a lot of fishing at a local lake that's not very crowded. Lots of gaming and home schooling the kids.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-07-2020), thethe (04-07-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    I’m not the type to pretend to understand the market well enough to select winners and losers. A few weeks back, I dropped a heavy bag on a Total Stock Market Index and already have seen a pay off. I don’t plan on touching that investment or any other stock in my portfolio until we exit this recession.

I have also been trying to dump a little bit of money each week into some favorite big caps (Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, etc.). Basically companies that I know are recession proof.

I know this strategy limits my upside, but this is such a unique buyer’s market that if you were lucky enough to have some liquidity, you got some pretty amazing discounts.

During times like this, it’s not about “who” but “when”. Jump in before the market v shapes back up to its new plateau.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

thethe (04-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Big caps have been a logical play. But I wonder if that's all priced in by now.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I still work but it's been slow. Thankfully I'm salaried.

I've been able to do a lot of fishing at a local lake that's not very crowded. Lots of gaming and home schooling the kids.
    Catching ? What ?