Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viable Options to Restarting the Season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts

Viable Options to Restarting the Season

I heard on the radio today that the major sports leaders were talking about how to get their individual sports back playing. One option MLB had apparently discussed, is returning players back to their Spring Training facilities and starting the season at those facilities without fans....this, i'd assume, would be difficult because you would have to change the season schedule. For instance, the Braves aren't going to fly to Arizona to play teams out there, and fly back to Florida.....

What do you think would be the best option?
    Get off my lawn!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I don’t think it’s really viable, or likely to happen, but I’d read it’s more likely Florida or Arizona, not both—with the latter more likely given the various complex’s proximities to each other.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Let the have another Spring Training starting next week with no fan attendance. Effectively all instructional games.

Then open up on May 1st with potential no fans but based on the data at the time full fans.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Yeah it’s sounding more like all teams would camp out in Arizona (olympics or World Cup style) and play all games in close quarters with no fans. They really don’t want these players flying all over the country.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Arizona makes more sense because of the Florida summer afternoon storms. I think by June we should be starting up prep. Italy data continues to show that if you are below age 40 and healthy then you should be fine. Some players, like Duvall, should probably sit out. And then you have to figure out what to do with coaches and others. I don't see why we can't have sports without fans so long as the players stay isolated from at risk groups. I guess it's ultimately up to the players.
    thank you weso1!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Memorial Day or Father's Day to open up without fans.

4th of July opening day to allow fans back in, progressively, not selling out stadiums.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Have league round-robins at each of the league's parks. Have all the NL teams in one location for a week or two where they would play a balanced schedule. 30-man rosters with 15 pitcher maximum. Then move on to the next location until all parks are covered. I don't know how the math would work, but if you have a balanced schedule, just send the two league champs to the World Series.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Not going to happen. No players, coaches or staff will intermingle with each other while Corona is still present.

I’m not sure Baseball is even a given this season. They’re already talking and worried about football and that won’t happen for four more months. No one would worry about football if they thought baseball was a sure thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2020)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    MLB and the players union are discussing a possible plan to start the season with the games being played in Arizona

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/c...na-per-report/
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2020)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    More details on the potential Arizona plan from Jeff Passan of ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-early-arizona
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    NEW YORK (AP) — Putting all 30 teams in the Phoenix area and playing in empty ballparks was among the ideas discussed Monday by Major League Baseball and the players’ association.

The sides held a telephone call to talk about paths forward for a season delayed by the new coronavirus pandemic, people familiar with the discussion told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because no details were announced.

Ideas are still in the early stage, and the Arizona option would have many obstacles to overcome, the people said.

Half of the MLB clubs hold spring training in Arizona, the other half in Florida.

Arizona’s advantage is 10 spring training ballparks plus the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Chase Field all within about 50 miles. Florida’s spring training ballparks are spread by as much as 220 miles.

“It allows for immediacy of a schedule, where you might be able to begin it and televise it, provide Major League Baseball to America,” said Scott Boras, baseball’s most prominent agent. “I think players are willing to do what’s necessary because I think they understand the importance of baseball for their own livelihoods and for the interest of our country and providing a necessary product that gives all the people that are isolated enjoyment.”

“It gives them a sense of a return to some normalcy,” Boras added. “You talk to a psychologist about it and they say it’s it’s really good for a culture to have to have sport and to have a focus like that, where for a few hours a day they can take their minds off the difficult reality of the virus.”

Baseball’s season had been set to start March 26 but spring training was halted on March 12. After the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended restricting events of more than 50 people for eight weeks, MLB said it would not open until mid-May at the earliest.

Texas Rangers president of baseball operations Jon Daniels said MLB is examining different options and he didn’t want to speculate.

“But, obviously, we’d all love to find a way to play, provided we could do safely, and that would be the priority,” he said.

The players’ association would want to survey its members to determine whether they would support such a plan, one of the people said.

“You’re going to be largely separated from your families and you’re going to have to function in a very contained way. It’s not it’s not a normal life, this idea,” Boras said. “You’re going to have an identified group of people. You’re going to have a constantly tested group of people. And you’re going to have a very limited access of those people to the outside world so that you can assure a very uncontaminated league, if you will, to produce a product that is inspirational to our country.”

Chase Field, with artificial turf and a retractable roof, could be the site of daily tripleheaders, Boras said.

MLB and the union reached a deal March 26 to advance $170 million in salary to players for the first 60 days of the season. As part of the deal, players would get only prorated portions of their salaries if the regular season is cut from its usual 162 games and would receive no additional salary if the season is scrapped.

Both sides have agreed to attempt to play as full a season as is possible, and this plan would enable to season to start while waiting for health and government officials determine whether it is safe to resume play in regular-season ballparks, with the travel that would entail.
    https://www.wspa.com/sports/ap-sourc...3EIxMIvGZEHVbU
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    At this point, I just want to see baseball again
    Get off my lawn!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (04-07-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    At this point, I just want to see baseball again
    Wish granted!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (04-07-2020), Metaphysicist (04-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Just start in July and play 80 games.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/

The death of the National and American Leagues.

Braves proposed division:

Tampa Bay
    Minnesota
    Atlanta
    Boston
    Baltimore

We likely see universal DH too, I would guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post

Tampa Bay
    Minnesota
    Atlanta
    Boston
    Baltimore

That would be a brutal division. Ouch
    Natural Immunity Croc

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-11-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Tampa Bay
    Minnesota
    Atlanta
    Boston
    Baltimore

Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Ozuna
    Markakis/Riley
    d'Arnaud/Flowers
    Camargo
    Swanson
    Inciarte
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That would be a brutal division. Ouch
    Not sure it'd be THAT much tougher than what we're already facing...

Tampa ~ Washington...both have solid pitching and offense. (PECOTA Projections - Tampa 87 wins, Gnats 87 wins.)
    Minnesota ~ Philadelphia...both have lots of offense with questionable pitching depth. (Twins 93 wins, Phillies 77 wins.)
    Atlanta ~ Atlanta
    Boston ~ Mutts...both have lost key pieces of their rotation for the year, Red Sox should be a little better offensively IF the loss of Betts doesn't hurt them like losing Freeman would hurt us. (Red Sox 85 wins, Mutts 88 wins.)
    Orioles < Marlins...the Marlins certainly appear to have improved themselves more ON PAPER this winter than the Orioles have. (Orioles 62 wins, Marlins 70 wins.)

The only obvious difference is between the Twins and Phillies, and that's if you're buying that the Twins pitching holds up (and Spencer Howard doesn't seriously upgrade Philadelphia's rotation if they plug him right away) and that a full (half) season of McCutchen leading off and adding Didi and Girardi doesn't significantly improve their situation.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Tampa Bay
    Minnesota
    Atlanta
    Boston
    Baltimore

Thinking long term in this proposal. Braves get screwed in any playoff situation with having to contend with the Astros and Yankees.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Would be ****ing hilarious if we win the WS in this format after being cursed for the last 25 years with the regular playoff format.
    Forever Fredi

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-13-2020), jpx7 (04-11-2020)