Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What Would A "Fair" Freeman Extension Look Like?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Considering Will Smith will be off the books soon, as well as Ender's deal. Plus Acuna/Albies deals would allow us to overpay FF a little bit. I dont think it would be totally crippling.
    Wanna keep Fried? Ready to trade Riley? SS hole coming soon. Speaking o Smith..who takes his spotin 23 and how much? Remember when we had to trade Javy Lopez because Millwood just exercised his option unexpectedly?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Wanna keep Fried? Ready to trade Riley? SS hole coming soon. Speaking o Smith..who takes his spotin 23 and how much? Remember when we had to trade Javy Lopez because Millwood just exercised his option unexpectedly?
    Actually, I think we traded Millwood because Maddox accepted arbitration unexpectedly... but your point remains. I hope AA understands the numbers and budget well enough to not fall into that trap.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2021), Metaphysicist (10-11-2021), PawPawMaxwell (10-04-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I trust AA is smart enough to not cripple the team with Freeman. If FF wants to be here then there will have to be a discount. How much of one is the question. Hopefully Soroka can come back healthy and that’ll eliminate us paying to much for a Smyly type.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-05-2021), jpx7 (10-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Actually, I think we traded Millwood because Maddox accepted arbitration unexpectedly... but your point remains. I hope AA understands the numbers and budget well enough to not fall into that trap.
    Thanks. Cant remember that little catcher JS came up with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Johnny Estrada. It worked out way better than it had any right to, although maybe Millwood's career has a different trajectory remaining in Atlanta.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2021), mfree80 (10-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Johnny Estrada. It worked out way better than it had any right to, although maybe Millwood's career has a different trajectory remaining in Atlanta.
    I guess. Estrada helped us to a division title, but that was his one good year in the big leagues. Millwood continued to be a good pitcher after he left Atlanta.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Surplus value was the same if I'm interpreting Fangraphs correctly. And Estrada got us, uh... Oscar Villareal and Lance Cormier. Estrada fell off a cliff after the Darin Erstad collision also.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    That dementia seems to be kickin in there PawPaw.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Freeman has every right to ask for Goldy money as the floor, and some team will likely give it to him.

I also think AA gets Freeman back, and I’m thinking it’s something like 3/90 with a series of options and contract extensions through the rest of his career. At least that’s what I hope happens.

If Freeman is looking for $130M+, I’m going to guess it won’t be in Atlanta.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (10-05-2021), UNCBlue012 (10-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    That dementia seems to be kickin in there PawPaw.
    Not so far but have had a stroke. Goes with age. Everyone will get their turn.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-18-2022), jpx7 (10-05-2021), Metaphysicist (10-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Short-term we have flexiblity.

Morton (expires after 20M in 2022)
    Smith (13M in 2022, with option)
    Smyly (11M in 2021)
    Martin (7M in 2021)
    Ender (8M in 2021)

Acuna will get a 10M bump in 2022 and others will get a raise. But short-term we have a fair amount of flexibility.

I think we will go either 35M AAV for 3 years or 25M AAV for 5 years on Freddie.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is a lot of talent about to hit the major league club.

Tell Freeman he can have whatever he wants for 4 years.

It won't hurt when you look at all the options that will fill for less than 3M apiece.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    On a positive note, the Braves finished the year at #2 in attendance, and by all indications, revenue has returned to near pre pandemic levels (not nearly the case for all teams). They should have money to spend. The playoff run, no matter how long, should give a nice little boost as well.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    On a positive note, the Braves finished the year at #2 in attendance, and by all indications, revenue has returned to near pre pandemic levels (not nearly the case for all teams). They should have money to spend. The playoff run, no matter how long, should give a nice little boost as well.
    Definitely. Bowman wrote this today about it:

What can’t be forgotten is that Anthopoulos wouldn’t have had the financial means to make these moves had Braves chairman Terry McGuirk not approached him in July to say a spike in early-season revenues had created an opportunity to be aggressive on the trade market.

“[McGuirk] said, ‘I want to reinvest whatever upside we’ve gained back into the ballclub,’” Anthopoulos said. “He basically gave me a large amount of money to work with. I was ecstatic. That’s a credit to those fans who came out and supported this club and put us in this position.”

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-05-2021), jpx7 (10-05-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Fried still has 3 years of control I believe. After that, I am totally fine letting him walk. I have no desire to sign pitchers to long term deals on their 30's and if Fried continues to pitch like he has (and remain healthy) he'll be getting a $100 million contract somewhere else. But if we did want to resign him, Ozuna's money will be freed up by then.

Riley has 4 years of control left. Like Fried, he is not a concern and likely isn't someone we want into his 30's either.

SS is the only hole opening up soon. I imagine we'll fill it with short term players until Shewmake or someone else can prove they are a starting MLB caliber SS.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-08-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    It should be noted that my post was in response to those who are touting FF for and AAV contract in the $35M per year. Then Heywards post about not crippling the team. Unless the new CBA is totally different then IMO no mid market team is in position to pay anyone $35M per year and keep peace in the clubhouse.

An additional thought: How many #1 true ace starters are out there under age 30?

Speaking of Riley: Just how many HOF 3rd basemen had better age 24 seasons than Riley in the modern era. Chipper is maybe the only one and we held on to him until age 40.
    Last edited by PawPawMaxwell; 10-08-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added a thought

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Riley and Fried have 4 and 3 years of control left. I'd actually let Fried walk if he keeps pitching like this, dont have a ton of interest paying a 31 year old SP a mega deal, they never end well. Not sure who takes Smith's spot. I'm not saying give him 40 mil but we could more than afford a high AAV 3 year deal.

Riley's certainly someone i'd be interested in re-signing though, for sure.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-08-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I'm basically of the opinion that we can more or less give Freddie a blank check if he's willing to sign a three-year deal. Agree to three years and you can basically choose your AAV.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-08-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    It should be noted that my post was in response to those who are touting FF for and AAV contract in the $35M per year. Then Heywards post about not crippling the team. Unless the new CBA is totally different then IMO no mid market team is in position to pay anyone $35M per year and keep peace in the clubhouse.

An additional thought: How many #1 true ace starters are out there under age 30?

Speaking of Riley: Just how many HOF 3rd basemen had better age 24 seasons than Riley in the modern era. Chipper is maybe the only one and we held on to him until age 40.
    How many players have had better years then Riley at age 24 and fell off a cliff around their 30th bday (or much earlier than that)? Too many to count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    bumped for historical interest
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."