Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would A "Fair" Freeman Extension Look Like?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    In 2022, the only real big contracts the Braves have are Acuna at 15 mil, Ozzie at 5, Will Smith at 13, and Ender at 9 (i'm assuming he's traded by then if Waters and Pache are the goods). Braves could afford to splurge on Freddie but i think it's gonna come down to years vs money per year. Given how analytically involved AA is, i cant see him going to 5 years for FF.

There's also not many FA replacements either, every other 1B FA is 30+. Braves have drafted a couple 1B to try and develop down the line the past few years.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Seems like as good a time as any to circle back around to this.

Assuming Freddie would take something below market-value but wants the 5 years to match the Goldschmidt deal, wouldn't now be a pretty good time to tear up the final year of the current deal and give him 5 years/$105 million with the final 2 years as mutual or team options ($25 million in 2021, $20 million for each of the other 4 seasons)?

He gets a slight bonus/raise for winning the MVP, and that would allow him to remain a Brave for his entire career unless he somehow decides he wants to play beyond that. Starting a deal like that now rather than after this season means you're still not committing to anyone beyond their age 35 season, he pockets a couple million as recognition (or a "thank you") for winning the MVP, gets $65 million in guaranteed new money, and AA and ownership get to look really good to the fans.

Something like that would potentially allow AA to offer Ozuna a high-AAV (say $20 million per) 3 year deal. That would pave the way for Freddie to DH during those option years, clearing 1B for Ball, Backstrom, or someone else.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Would love to see something done with this soon. Really don't want to go into the season with this hanging over the organization. Was expecting it would, and that's still my expectation, prior to spring training.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    How does this proposal compare to Chipper's team friendly deal? I can see Freddie around for a long long time as the Braves premier DH.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Chipper signed a series of short term extensions that kept him near the top of the AAV rankings. That is certainly preferred over some 5 year potential albatross like Goldy signed. Of course, Freeman has to be willing to play ball for that strategy to work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-13-2021)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    In 2022, the only real big contracts the Braves have are Acuna at 15 mil, Ozzie at 5, Will Smith at 13, and Ender at 9 (i'm assuming he's traded by then if Waters and Pache are the goods). Braves could afford to splurge on Freddie but i think it's gonna come down to years vs money per year. Given how analytically involved AA is, i cant see him going to 5 years for FF.

There's also not many FA replacements either, every other 1B FA is 30+. Braves have drafted a couple 1B to try and develop down the line the past few years.
    Ender is an option right? If so, no way it is picked up.

Fried, Soroka and Swanson need contracts as well. Swanson would be playing out his last season in 2022 and Fried and Soroka would be up in 2023.
    Last edited by OcalaBrave; 01-13-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I wanna see if Bryce Ball gets invited to spring training again this year. I can visualize a scene where Ball and Freddie share 1B and DH for a few years coming.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-13-2021)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post

Fried, Soroka and Swanson need contracts as well. Swanson would be playing out his last season in 2022 and Fried and Soroka would be up in 2023.
    Yeah according to Spotrac there is a $1M buyout for Ender after this season. Needless to say, we'll be buying him out

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-...nciarte-12151/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-14-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I wanna see if Bryce Ball gets invited to spring training again this year. I can visualize a scene where Ball and Freddie share 1B and DH for a few years coming.
    Another attempt at supplanting Freddie at 1b. I think HorsehideHarry has a secondary account.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-14-2021), jpx7 (01-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Another attempt at supplanting Freddie at 1b. I think HorsehideHarry has a secondary account.
    LOL Hardly the case here. However, I did find it interesting that Ball was invited to spring training so early in his career. It has been mentioned numerous times that his bat has huge potential. I also see Freddie as a Brave possibly as long as Chipper was.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-14-2021), jpx7 (01-14-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post

Fried/Soroka have 3 years of control after this year, Swanson has 1. We have time on our side with Fried and Soroka. With the loaded SS upcoming FA class, i'm interested what AA does with Swanson.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Fried/Soroka have 3 years of control after this year, Swanson has 1. We have time on our side with Fried and Soroka. With the loaded SS upcoming FA class, i'm interested what AA does with Swanson.
    I'd be interested to see someone do an analysis of what our window of contention is looking like, with the assumption we sign Freeman to the type of extension we are expecting.

We seem to be in great shape at least for the next four years when we will have Freeman (assuming), Albies, Acuna, Soroka, Fried and Anderson as our core. Swanson is here for two of those. Riley we have for another 5. But some of that core is going to begin getting expensive over the next few years as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Biggest obstacle I see is that we will never have the info on budget that would enable us fans to make those projections. It is all guess but if we can assume a budget comprised of $150M in todays dollars it would be a bit more relative. I wonder how scared/apprehensive AA is regarding the Mets and Padres as of today knowing that everything can change with a blockbuster on his part. One would think that given the results of last years playoff exit by a mere 2 runs and the ultimate WS winner that he would be ready to go for all the marbles.

Anyone can see the vacancies and relative dollar costs and guess as to what is coming.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Braves window pretty much extends through the Soroka control years right now. At that point AA will have to make the tough decision between dealing the last years of control over Acuna and Albies for a rebuild, or pushing whatever chips remain to extend the window to the end of their control years.

Soroka is the only current impact player young enough that an extension makes sense, so if AA can get him locked up for an additional 1-2 FA years he can likely extend the contention window another couple years. Getting Freeman on board to take a series of 2-3 year extensions will also help stretch that window out to the end of the Acuna/Albies era.

After that we will have enjoyed nearly a decade of Braves contention, and a rebuild is likely in store. Of course, finding another Acuna changes that, but it’s certainly not something to bank on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves window pretty much extends through the Soroka control years right now. At that point AA will have to make the tough decision between dealing the last years of control over Acuna and Albies for a rebuild, or pushing whatever chips remain to extend the window to the end of their control years.

Soroka is the only current impact player young enough that an extension makes sense, so if AA can get him locked up for an additional 1-2 FA years he can likely extend the contention window another couple years. Getting Freeman on board to take a series of 2-3 year extensions will also help stretch that window out to the end of the Acuna/Albies era.

After that we will have enjoyed nearly a decade of Braves contention, and a rebuild is likely in store. Of course, finding another Acuna changes that, but it’s certainly not something to bank on.
    Thanks, that sums it up well

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Good Lord, Wilson Betemit’s son just signed with the Royals.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-18-2021)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Good Lord, Wilson Betemit’s son just signed with the Royals.
    Wasn't Dayton Moore the scout who signed Wilson at the time years ago?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Whether to press on with contention or not will have to depend on how well the Braves draft and develop.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Whether to press on with contention or not will have to depend on how well the Braves draft and develop.
    Yep. Be interested to see what AA's drafting strategy will be next few years when the international penalties are gone and we can actually spend money on IFA's.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Wasn't Dayton Moore the scout who signed Wilson at the time years ago?
    Doubtful. Looking Paul Synder and Rene Francisco were the only people actually fined for the Betemit issue so I suspect it was Francisco that signed him since he was an international scout at the time.

But Dayton did sign him to play for the Royals back in 2010 and Rene Francisco is currently an Assistant GM for the Royals so they had an inside track for sure.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-19-2021)