Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: International Prospect Signing Rumors

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Braves already have the Munoz twins--Roddery and Rolddy--in the system. Two sets of twins would be too confusing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The farm should look a lot better in a couple of years with us stockpiling guys now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-23-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Fangraphs updated their international board and loves our likely 2024 signee Jose Perdomo. If you remove the older Asian prospects, they have Perdomo as the No. 2 international prospect in the 2024 class that signs next January and their blurb indicates that he'll get the biggest bonus of anyone in the 2024 class. Here's their updated scouting report:

"Perdomo is reportedly set to get the highest bonus in the 2024 class and currently has a verbal agreement with the Braves. While he isn't as likely to stay at shortstop as some of his peers, he may have the most polished hit and power combination in the whole group. It's comically easy pull-side power, with deft, precise control of the barrel working together to generate huge all-around offense, enough that Perdomo would profile as an everyday bat even if he ends up in a corner. Perdomo does some slick things at shortstop, he's just rather stocky for an amateur and might outgrow it. His vertical barrel variability is incredible for a player his age, though his front side is a little stiff through contact and he might be tested by pro breaking stuff in the bottom third of the zone. Perdomo has a great offensive foundation for an amateur prospect, and it might allow him to move quickly through the lower minors."

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

brian22 (02-21-2023), Garmel (02-20-2023), Heyward (02-20-2023), JohnAdcox (02-24-2023), jpx7 (02-23-2023), Tapate50 (02-20-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Baseball america posted its first 2024 write up and they’re huge on Perdomo.

Jose Perdomo, SS, Venezuela
    Team: Braves

Perdomo rose to prominence around the same time as 2023 catcher Ethan Salas, who signed with the Padres for $5.6 million this year on Jan. 15, to stand out as one of the elite players eligible to sign in 2024. Perdomo, 16, looks to be in line for a similar bonus. He’s 5-foot-11, 170 pounds with a good track record of performing at a high level against live pitching. It’s a simple swing from the right side without much extraneous movement, taking a direct cut to the ball with an accurate barrel. He’s an aggressive hitter with good hand-eye coordination, squaring up fastballs and breaking stuff with a high contact rate. There’s explosiveness to his game that’s ticked up with more strength, giving him an impressive mix of hitting ability and power for his age. Perdomo early on looked like an offensive-oriented player who would move off shortstop, but his defensive development gives him a higher probability now to stick at the position. He’s a plus runner with fairly easy actions at shortstop, with the range and arm strength that should allow him to continue there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-22-2023), jpx7 (04-28-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Nice !
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Sounds like Kevin Maitan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Hopefully he doesn’t eat like Maitan
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Hopefully he doesn’t eat like Maitan
    Hard to believe he only just turned 23. Still absolute dog**** though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    Where did maitan end up anyway? Other than Denny’s ?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Where did maitan end up anyway? Other than Denny’s ?
    Still in the Angels system right? Still eating more than his BA and still striking out over 50% of the time. Batting about.105, OBP is absurdly high at.171..has struck out 21 times in 41 or 42 PA'S.

NOTE: I love the international prospects. But the commitment is one that'll have you so excited for 16-17 year olds who's competition in America is about 14-15. Depending on the country. It's also the kiss of death sometimes when I hear "physically advanced for his age.". As much as we joke about Maitan almost every scout missed on him. The rub: stardom before he ever got a dime. He rock starred himself excessively.

I firmly like telling you all about my seeing these guys earlier than a lot of people. Not as much anymore but I've seen international, rookie leagues since 1993. I say this to say, for every Maitan, there are high bonus babies who work their arses off and hit. Altuve, Cueto, Starlin Castro, Kenley Jansen...are a few higher regarded ones off the top of my head...but I digress.

For the Braves, while they dodged a bullet with Maitan, they didn't with Derian Cruz, Ed Salcedo, Isranel Wilson, (Acuña was signed that year), Luis Barrios (Albies was signed that year..2014?). The year before was Mauricio Cabrera (flamed out but made it) and Jose Peraza(was useful for a bit). My guy who didn't pan out was Yeralf Torres.

I don't think big bonuses are the way to go necessarily but I understand them. The Braves scout internationally very well but other than a big bonus or two they rely on scouts and their academy. Signing multiple decent money players is a good thing. Excited about the new crop of IA'S after Coppygate. Time will tell.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-22-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Maitan is playing (not well) for the Angels' AA Southern League Rocket City Trash Pandas. Livan Soto is also back there after playing a bit for the Angels last September and starting this year in AAA.

Ji-Hwan Bae, who is playing all over the field for the Pirates this year, is the only one of the forfeited signings that looks to be a loss. Only he and Soto are currently on major league 40-man rosters.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-22-2023), jpx7 (04-28-2023)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Maitan is playing (not well) for the Angels' AA Southern League Rocket City Trash Pandas. Livan Soto is also back there after playing a bit for the Angels last September and starting this year in AAA.

Ji-Hwan Bae, who is playing all over the field for the Pirates this year, is the only one of the forfeited signings that looks to be a loss. Only he and Soto are currently on major league 40-man rosters.
    Don't forget Yunior Severino. I hated losing him. He's in AA now with the Twins and is settling in a a decent prospect. .280 type hitter with pop.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Don't forget Yunior Severino. I hated losing him. He's in AA now with the Twins and is settling in a a decent prospect. .280 type hitter with pop.
    He has hit at every stop and I was surprised he wasn't put on the Twins' 40-man after last season. Probably the other guy who has a chance. RHP del Rosario is in AA for the Royals and has teased a bit.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2023)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Bae looks to be a Swiss Army knife and someone that we really could have used especially once Arcia got hurt.
    Would think if he was still around Grissom stays down most or all of the year.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Still in the Angels system right? Still eating more than his BA and still striking out over 50% of the time. Batting about.105, OBP is absurdly high at.171..has struck out 21 times in 41 or 42 PA'S.

NOTE: I love the international prospects. But the commitment is one that'll have you so excited for 16-17 year olds who's competition in America is about 14-15. Depending on the country. It's also the kiss of death sometimes when I hear "physically advanced for his age.". As much as we joke about Maitan almost every scout missed on him. The rub: stardom before he ever got a dime. He rock starred himself excessively.

I firmly like telling you all about my seeing these guys earlier than a lot of people. Not as much anymore but I've seen international, rookie leagues since 1993. I say this to say, for every Maitan, there are high bonus babies who work their arses off and hit. Altuve, Cueto, Starlin Castro, Kenley Jansen...are a few higher regarded ones off the top of my head...but I digress.

For the Braves, while they dodged a bullet with Maitan, they didn't with Derian Cruz, Ed Salcedo, Isranel Wilson, (Acuña was signed that year), Luis Barrios (Albies was signed that year..2014?). The year before was Mauricio Cabrera (flamed out but made it) and Jose Peraza(was useful for a bit). My guy who didn't pan out was Yeralf Torres.

I don't think big bonuses are the way to go necessarily but I understand them. The Braves scout internationally very well but other than a big bonus or two they rely on scouts and their academy. Signing multiple decent money players is a good thing. Excited about the new crop of IA'S after Coppygate. Time will tell.
    It seems very rare that they do work out. I remember how hard on Hector Olivera the Dodgers were, then traded him to us that first year with the team. Dude was a can't miss prospect that was a bust.

But at the end of the day, sometimes quantity is better than perceived quality up front. No one saw Acuna coming when the Braves signed him for $100k.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    My favorite international signing was Dian Toscano… she was awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    It seems very rare that they do work out. I remember how hard on Hector Olivera the Dodgers were, then traded him to us that first year with the team. Dude was a can't miss prospect that was a bust.

But at the end of the day, sometimes quantity is better than perceived quality up front. No one saw Acuna coming when the Braves signed him for $100k.
    The Braves and Dodgers were both obsessed with that dude. I don’t remember him as a can’t miss prospect though… I remember there were real concerns because of his age and his arm… just seemed can’t miss because you had two blinded teams obsessed and irrationally in love.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Bae looks to be a Swiss Army knife and someone that we really could have used especially once Arcia got hurt.
    Would think if he was still around Grissom stays down most or all of the year.
    Bae's playing a fair amount of CF and although he's a LHH, he probably would have served as Harris' back-up. Small sample size, but he's been miserable against LHP. Curious to see how he develops.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Baseball America posted scouting reports on the top 100 international players who signed in January, ranked by their signing bonus. Guanipa was 12th at $2.5 million and OF Carlos Montverde was 68th at $600,000. Those were the only in the top 100.

The other largest reported signing bonuses were OF John Estevez at $310,000 and P Jeremy Reyes at $240,000. So that's $3.65 million accounted for out of our $5.3 million pool. DOB previously reported we signed 21 players, so I'm assuming that leftover $1.65 million was split between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Ben Badler from Baseball America is the best in the business with international prospects. He put his list together this morning of top bonuses in the upcoming signing class. He has us giving Jose Perdomo the top bonus in the entire class and says the deal is similar to the $5.6 million the Padres gave Ethan Salas.

He says Perdomo's bat is his best tool and he has a skill set that has been compared to Gleyber Torres. The most encouraging part of the scouting report is on defense. He says most people saw Perdomo as a prospect who'd move to second or third some day, but he has improved defensively and now has a greater chance to stick at shortstop.

As you'd imagine with the huge bonus for him, Perdomo is the only prospect we're listed as signing in their top 50 deals.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-03-2024), jpx7 (01-03-2024), Tapate50 (01-03-2024)