Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mail-In Voting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    You cant accept when you lose anyways.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    thethe is legitimately insane
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    thethe is legitimately insane
    I guess you haven't been paying attention to the multiple instances of fraud and 'error' the past few weeks with mail in ballots.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    this too ...

Note: Trump has no residential address in Florida, and has been fraudulently claiming to live at Mar-a-Lago, a business.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Lillabeth
    @shshockedNoMore

Facts matter
    USPS was profitable until Congress passed a law requiring them to pay 75 YEARS of pension upfront- yeah, pension for people not even born yet
    #SaveTheUSPS

Step up and deliver ballots for free
    @FedEx

@UPS

@amazon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Hey thethe... how is it acceptable that Trump is requesting mail in ballots for an address that’s not even an official residence. You guys are just ridiculous hypocrites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Hey thethe... how is it acceptable that Trump is requesting mail in ballots for an address that’s not even an official residence. You guys are just ridiculous hypocrites.
    absentee ballot you mean?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    you guys are just going to close your eyes on all the fraud that has been proven the past few months and difficulties to get a timely election?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    how would one cheat using a mail in ballot ?

//////////////////////////////
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53353404

What evidence is there of fraud?
    President Trump has said: "You get thousands and thousands of people sitting in somebody's living room, signing ballots all over the place."

Critics say people could vote more than once via absentee ballots and in person.

But there is no evidence of widespread fraud, according to numerous nationwide and state-level studies over the years.

There have been isolated cases of postal ballot fraud in the past, such as in the 2018 North Carolina primary, which was re-run after a consultant of the Republican candidate tampered with voting papers.

There was also a case earlier this year in New Jersey which saw two Democratic councillors charged with alleged fraud in relation to postal voting, after hundreds of ballots were found stuffed in a post box.

But these are rare incidents, and the rate of voting fraud overall in the US is between 0.00004% and 0.0009%, according to a 2017 study by the Brennan Center for Justice.

A voter fraud database collated by Arizona State University between 2000 and 2012, found 491 cases of postal ballot fraud out of hundreds of millions of votes.

And a Washington Post review of the 2016 election found one proven case of postal voting fraud.

Oregon has held postal elections since 2000 and has only reported 14 fraudulent votes attempted by mail.

There are provisions in place to prevent people from impersonating voters or stealing ballots - such as authorities checking that ballots have come from voters' registered address and requiring signatures on envelopes.

There have been suggestions that an increase in postal voting would help turnout among Democratic voters, but there is no strong evidence that either party would gain an advantage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    absentee ballot you mean?
    There is literally zero difference... and let’s just ignore that it’s not a valid residential address. Weak reply, as usual. You are a painfully partisan hack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is literally zero difference... and let’s just ignore that it’s not a valid residential address. Weak reply, as usual. You are a painfully partisan hack.
    Where do you think trump spends majority of his days?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And you are dead wrong on the distinction between what trump does and universal vote by mail but im not surprised you don't understand a thing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Where do you think trump spends majority of his days?
    Doesn’t matter. That’s a business address. Kinda humorous you’re on your high horse of voter fraud when your guy is committing fraud right out in the open. You’re beyond pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Doesn’t matter. That’s a business address. Kinda humorous you’re on your high horse of voter fraud when your guy is committing fraud right out in the open. You’re beyond pathetic.
    Does he designate it as split use?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    how would one cheat using a mail in ballot ?

//////////////////////////////
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53353404

What evidence is there of fraud?
    President Trump has said: "You get thousands and thousands of people sitting in somebody's living room, signing ballots all over the place."

Critics say people could vote more than once via absentee ballots and in person.

But there is no evidence of widespread fraud, according to numerous nationwide and state-level studies over the years.

There have been isolated cases of postal ballot fraud in the past, such as in the 2018 North Carolina primary, which was re-run after a consultant of the Republican candidate tampered with voting papers.

There was also a case earlier this year in New Jersey which saw two Democratic councillors charged with alleged fraud in relation to postal voting, after hundreds of ballots were found stuffed in a post box.

But these are rare incidents, and the rate of voting fraud overall in the US is between 0.00004% and 0.0009%, according to a 2017 study by the Brennan Center for Justice.

A voter fraud database collated by Arizona State University between 2000 and 2012, found 491 cases of postal ballot fraud out of hundreds of millions of votes.

And a Washington Post review of the 2016 election found one proven case of postal voting fraud.

Oregon has held postal elections since 2000 and has only reported 14 fraudulent votes attempted by mail.

There are provisions in place to prevent people from impersonating voters or stealing ballots - such as authorities checking that ballots have come from voters' registered address and requiring signatures on envelopes.

There have been suggestions that an increase in postal voting would help turnout among Democratic voters, but there is no strong evidence that either party would gain an advantage.
    Interestingly, there is a federal judge in Pennsylvania (appointed by very poorly chosen one no less) who has asked that question.

"The Court finds that instances of voter fraud are relevant to the claims and defenses in this case," District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan wrote on Thursday, telling Republicans that they need to provide evidence of fraud to the Democratic Party and the Sierra Club, which are part of the lawsuit.

I think that this needs to be done.

I'm not a fan of voting by mail. I think in a pandemic you relax the rules a bit for people with concerns about their health. But not too much. There are competing interests and a request for facts is to be welcome.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Interestingly, there is a federal judge in Pennsylvania (appointed by very poorly chosen one no less) who has asked that question.

"The Court finds that instances of voter fraud are relevant to the claims and defenses in this case," District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan wrote on Thursday, telling Republicans that they need to provide evidence of fraud to the Democratic Party and the Sierra Club, which are part of the lawsuit.

I think that this needs to be done.

I'm not a fan of voting by mail. I think in a pandemic you relax the rules a bit for people with concerns about their health. But not too much. There are competing interests and a request for facts is to be welcome.
    I'm confused how someone can not see how susceptible to fraud universal voting by mail is and not just by democrats. Anyone.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm confused how someone can not see how susceptible to fraud universal voting by mail is and not just by democrats. Anyone.
    I have concerns. That's why I would like to see in-person voting be expanded over a period of weeks. Maybe designate certain days or hours for older people and people with health issues.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (08-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    From the Pennsylvania case:

The Democrats had asked for information and documents that would show steps the Republicans took to study the possibility of fraud, especially related to the use of dropboxes, ballot collection and mailed-in ballots in the primary elections.

The Trump campaign and Republicans had refused to do so. But with Thursday's court order, they must answer questions from the Democratic groups and turn over records of communications -- or say they have none. The Trump campaign has until Friday to respond, the judge said.

I think this gets at an important distinction. There are issues with potential fraud that anyone should be concerned about. But the facts need to be laid out. Because some parties may be using those issues as a pretext to suppress the vote. Those two things are related, but they are not the same. We should be looking for ways to facilitate voting, while limiting the risk of fraud. The facts need to be laid out in terms of what those risks are. They can't just be asserted.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I have concerns. That's why I would like to see in-person voting be expanded over a period of weeks. Maybe designate certain days or hours for older people and people with health issues.
    I spent the better part of a morning this week trying to cancel paper bank statements. Haven't received a letter in years and think Christmas cards are stupid and nothing more than Hallmark guilting us into buying their product.
    And too believe a rethinking of not only the mission and scope of USPS but why in the 2nd decade of the 21st century do we have to even have such/support such an antiquated communication system.
    Small packages from Amazon or other outlets do come via USPS - other wise, I have no use for the postal system as it exists

I read yesterday that one of the things Al Gore proposed in his reorganizing government work (1994-95 ish) as VP was a complete re organizing of USPS.
    It obviously never got off of the ground for the obvious reasons (Newt Gingrich- giving Clinton a win etc etc etc)

This is not a bad idea, had it been on the discussion table 2017, 2013,2009,2005 ad infinitum

And re tool our methods voting
    With the understanding not everyone has a computer or ready access to polling stations
    ///////////////
    Having said all of that, this is a discussion long overdue but not in the heat of a general election
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-14-2020 at 09:32 AM.