Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB optimistic about starting season in late June

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Looks bad for baseball coming back this season. I see no way the union agrees to revenue sharing. Too dangerous of a precedent. The union would scrap the season before allowing that to happen.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I hate the DH - I really really do. I can’t stress this enough. The DH sucks. I really enjoy the strategy of selective pinch hitting and bullpen usage. The DH takes that away and I think stinks. Pitchers outta have to hit like the game was designed.
    i don't see how there's much strategy in letting a pitcher hit vs. not hit. it's fairly straight-forward.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I'm all about seeing baseball again. And i'd rather not watch Folty hit again this season....
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Adding the DH isn't actually that bad for us this season. We can just use Ozuna and Markakis to DH.
    thank you weso1!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-12-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Looks bad for baseball coming back this season. I see no way the union agrees to revenue sharing. Too dangerous of a precedent. The union would scrap the season before allowing that to happen.
    I’m going with this as well. The union would much rather dig in their heels and forgo a season rather than go down the slippery slope of revenue sharing. Especially after they already got MLB to agree to the service time issue for this “season.” Very sad all around.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    I’m going with this as well. The union would much rather dig in their heels and forgo a season rather than go down the slippery slope of revenue sharing. Especially after they already got MLB to agree to the service time issue for this “season.” Very sad all around.
    1994 all over again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Adding the DH isn't actually that bad for us this season. We can just use Ozuna and Markakis to DH.
    Also gives us the option to call up Pache sooner since we wouldn't have to worry about him and a pitcher potentially being easy outs early on.

Would be tremendous for the Braves.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Also gives us the option to call up Pache sooner since we wouldn't have to worry about him and a pitcher potentially being easy outs early on.

Would be tremendous for the Braves.
    Even though under this plan the rosters would be expanded to 30 players, I’m not sure too many teams would start the clocks on too many high impact prospects. Especially given the chance the season could be suspended at anytime once it starts if we get a second wave. And teams are already losing a year of service time for all MLB players regardless of the length of the season. I think Pache will spend the entire season in the minors (whether that means he actually plays or not) and players like Hech and Yonder Alonso will see more playing time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Even though under this plan the rosters would be expanded to 30 players, I’m not sure too many teams would start the clocks on too many high impact prospects. Especially given the chance the season could be suspended at anytime once it starts if we get a second wave. And teams are already losing a year of service time for all MLB players regardless of the length of the season. I think Pache will spend the entire season in the minors (whether that means he actually plays or not) and players like Hech and Yonder Alonso will see more playing time.
    On the other hand, with no (apparent) minor league system, it would hurt to lose that year of development.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    On the other hand, with no (apparent) minor league system, it would hurt to lose that year of development.
    Can mlb even function without the minors?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Can mlb even function without the minors?
    Seems like under the proposed plan they would have to. No minor league games mentioned. Rosters would be expanded to 30 with an additional 20 players on a “taxi” roster should people get hurt. I’m guessing they’re going to be like the practice squad in NFL and train and travel with the team, but not play their own games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i honestly don't understand being against the DH. pitchers batting is awful. i don't love the idea of a guy just being on a team to swing the bat 4 times a game, but it's better than pitcher's batting.
    Because the amazingly complex strategy behind pinch hitting for the pitcher 2-3 times in a game with a bench player is something some people pride themselves on being able to understand. Apparently, pinch hitting for a position player for platoon advantage because you don't have to pinch hit for the pitcher isn't as amazing to behold as predictably pinch hitting for the pitcher.

The complex strategy is amazing and entertaining!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    i don't see how there's much strategy in letting a pitcher hit vs. not hit. it's fairly straight-forward.
    There is more strategy in pinch hitting for position players, which is what would happen if they didn't have to use bench players almost exclusively to hit for pitchers.

As usual, the conservative viewpoint on a topic is narrow and ignorant.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There is more strategy in pinch hitting for position players, which is what would happen if they didn't have to use bench players almost exclusively to hit for pitchers.

As usual, the conservative viewpoint on a topic is narrow, short sighted, and ignorant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I would like to see MLB try to allow minor league squads to scrimmage each other in the morning daily. You don't have to play other teams, you can just face your own organization every day. Play games in the morning. Wasting a year of development is going to hurt some players.
    thank you weso1!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    1994 all over again
    Bite your tongue!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Seems like under the proposed plan they would have to. No minor league games mentioned. Rosters would be expanded to 30 with an additional 20 players on a “taxi” roster should people get hurt. I’m guessing they’re going to be like the practice squad in NFL and train and travel with the team, but not play their own games.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see some push to allow some of the "closest-to-ready" prospects to be added as part of that taxi squad without compromising service-time requirements for this season. Some stipulation that they can be added to that 50-Man roster for 2020 WITHOUT starting their clocks unless they play in a high percentage of scheduled games (say 80%-90%).

That way you don't necessarily lose the entire developmental year for those guys that are really close - and can use them in MLB games in the event of injuries or special circumstances - but for 2020 those games don't affect their prospect status unless you use them as a significant part of your everyday lineups in this goofy season (assuming there is one).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Has there been any word on MiLB at all? The last thing the Braves organization needs is for Pache to be following the MLB team around the Eastern US as a cheerleader.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Has there been any word on MiLB at all? The last thing the Braves organization needs is for Pache to be following the MLB team around the Eastern US as a cheerleader.
    I believe the plan is to scrap the whole season. With as much difficulty as there will be maintaining player health and safety in the big leagues in the increasingly unlikely event of a 2020 season I can’t imagine a minor league season. The reduced number of draft rounds backs this up.

If there was a season Pache would likely play. Ozuna moves to DH and Pache plays LF and moves to CF on days Ender has off.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I believe the plan is to scrap the whole season. With as much difficulty as there will be maintaining player health and safety in the big leagues in the increasingly unlikely event of a 2020 season I can’t imagine a minor league season. The reduced number of draft rounds backs this up.

If there was a season Pache would likely play. Ozuna moves to DH and Pache plays LF and moves to CF on days Ender has off.
    I don't think Pache would play initially. My guess is that in the event of the DH (which looks likely if we do play), that we'd see Markakis/Duvall/Riley at that spot. Or maybe swap Ozuna with Markakis (LF though).

Not awful, but other NL teams would have a greater advantage in getting the DH.

Pache would however be on that taxi squad. I don't expect MiLB to play at all this year. It will be a big blow to the development of our prospects.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2020)