Thread: MLB optimistic about starting season in late June

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i'm shocked you don't understand what a karen is
    you know he's totally a karen. can you imagine serving that guy at a restaurant? probably a nightmare that tips 5%.
    always gotta chime in to defend the billionaires he's subservient to tho.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I don't really see the point in taking a side between two groups of wealthy people arguing over how to split up a bunch of money.

I know its very deadspin chic to crap on ownership and any other authority, but I think its probably not one of the great moral dilemmas of our society or particularly important.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-18-2020), FreemanFan (05-18-2020), goldfly (05-18-2020), Tapate50 (05-18-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't really see the point in taking a side between two groups of wealthy people arguing over how to split up a bunch of money.

I know its very deadspin chic to crap on ownership and any other authority, but I think its probably not one of the great moral dilemmas of our society or particularly important.
    Yup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    **** ‘em all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I blame Obama
    thank you weso1!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (05-18-2020), Tapate50 (05-18-2020), The Chosen One (05-19-2020), thethe (05-18-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Personally, it wouldn't bother me one bit if they could not come together and said see ya in 2021.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-19-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Considering the players represent the labor side of the argument, and the majority of Americans are also on the labor side of the economy, I would expect the general population to be on the side of players. It's not the case for some reason though...the millionaire baseball player is seen as greedy, while the billionaire owner is somehow the victim.

I'll never understand why folks insist on siding with the rich old white guy, but that oddity is essentially what dominates US ideology. How the billionaire executive gets to play the victim card in this country will always baffle me. "Waaahhh, the plebs are coming after more of my crumbs....wwwaaaahhhhh".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-19-2020)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    you know he's totally a karen. can you imagine serving that guy at a restaurant? probably a nightmare that tips 5%.
    always gotta chime in to defend the billionaires he's subservient to tho.
    Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I'm sadly one of those people who tip 20% post tax pretty much universally.

And I'm also one of those people who dont call the police on neighbors for walking without a mask.

And also one of those idiots who dont live my life in fear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    If the players don't want to play for a discount, that is their right.

If the owners don't want to operate at a loss, that also makes sense.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Considering the players represent the labor side of the argument, and the majority of Americans are also on the labor side of the economy, I would expect the general population to be on the side of players. It's not the case for some reason though...the millionaire baseball player is seen as greedy, while the billionaire owner is somehow the victim.

I'll never understand why folks insist on siding with the rich old white guy, but that oddity is essentially what dominates US ideology. How the billionaire executive gets to play the victim card in this country will always baffle me. "Waaahhh, the plebs are coming after more of my crumbs....wwwaaaahhhhh".
    Is it wrong to not always side with one or the other? Can a billionaire ever be right? In this case though, I really don't even care... play, or don't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think it would help the players a lot if some of these individual players just shut up about it. Snell and Harper came out and came across as moronic dbags. Players union should just tell players to give a standard canned response whenever it's brought up. People's perception is more driven by the way things are presented in the media rather than rational thought.
    thank you weso1!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-19-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think it would help the players a lot if some of these individual players just shut up about it. Snell and Harper came out and came across as moronic dbags. Players union should just tell players to give a standard canned response whenever it's brought up. People's perception is more driven by the way things are presented in the media rather than rational thought.
    You have to remember, these are not smart people. Most coasted through High School because of their sports prowess, barely earning an education, and barely any went to college (and those that did probably had the same treatment in college). On top of all that, these people are then handed more money than most people will ever see in their lives and have crowds of people around them telling them how awesome and great they are on a daily basis. Lots of stupid abound in professional sports.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I agree with you 99.9%, but I think when it comes to sports, it boils down to the "but for" argument, which is roughly "Without Rich White Guy A, we wouldn't have a team in City B." There is backlash by the fans against cheapskate owners, but when push comes to shove with the players, fans tend to go to the management side by and large. What I can't stand about most owners is that they beg and beg and beg for all types of local and state subsidies to provide a new stadium often at considerable taxpayer cost, which inevitably hikes the value of their franchise and then turn around like they are giving everyone a favor.

I agree with weso and skeeter on the relative sharpness of most players' thinking tools. Read Ball Four.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    I miss baseball

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-20-2020), JohnAdcox (05-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    I miss baseball
    I miss Emma.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-20-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    saying the owners will operate at a loss is just taking billionaires at their word for it

which means nothing at all
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

We will cut all of their heads off when the people rise, comrade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    ya know there's probably an option before that, but that might require asking them to hoard less and give a slight damn which is very unfair to them if you think about it
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-26-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    You may joke, but how do you think terrible ideas like Communism arise?

How far is the wealth gap allowed to grow before the over-correction the other way ends up being just as bad?

And why are so many blind to the problem until it's too late for reasonable actions?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-26-2020)