Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB optimistic about starting season in late June

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Giving up draft picks for free agents trending towards not being such a great value in hindsight.
    Not necessarily bad just yet - saved a boatload of money by bringing Ozuna in rather than Donaldson back, and SHOULD get a comp pick this winter when Ozuna walks. If they happen not to be able to sign whomever they take at #25 inexpensively and get the #26 pick next June as well, that should be 3 relatively high picks in what could be a rather loaded draft next year.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not necessarily bad just yet - saved a boatload of money by bringing Ozuna in rather than Donaldson back, and SHOULD get a comp pick this winter when Ozuna walks. If they happen not to be able to sign whomever they take at #25 inexpensively and get the #26 pick next June as well, that should be 3 relatively high picks in what could be a rather loaded draft next year.
    they'll get a pick for Ozuna? they can't offer him a QO.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-27-2020), jpx7 (05-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The key for players is to understand that this is a labor dispute, not a public relations spat. Marvin Miller and Don Fehr didn't care at all about being popular and they built the strongest union in America. Once players started caring about public opinion they started getting rolled by the owners.
    That’s what I’m saying. They need to be ready to stand their ground.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Utter horse ****.
    Yeah, they can't file unemployment bc they are still under contract. That guys a HUGE POS. It should be that you can sign a FA deal with whoever if your team decides to forego your paycheck.
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    they'll get a pick for Ozuna? they can't offer him a QO.
    Right - was in a hurry - my bad.

Still don't think it was terrible to give up the picks they did. I'm guessing Southcack wasn't directing any criticism AA's way by saying it might "not be such a great value in hindsight", but that's much more likely to be the case for those that did so AND signed those veterans to long-term deals. IF (the two letters that seem to get bigger by the hour) they wind up playing games this season, renting Ozuna for what turns out to be a late second round pick likely wasn't a bad gamble had Covid not surfaced. If Smith winds up closing for the last 3 years of his deal (and potentially part of 2020 as well), AA might have given up a little bit more than some would have liked - but that's in hindsight as well. He already has the replacements for Ozuna in place, and if the circumstances that existed when he was signed had continued both Pache and Waters would likely have been ready next spring.

I look at it this way - giving up that pick to rent Ozuna all but assured Waters wasn't going to be dealt. The chances we'd have been able to get a player like Waters with that pick were insanely low. It also assured that Riley was going to get a chance to show he can adjust and potentially kept them from making a mistake in giving him away. I'm not saying Riley's for sure going to be able to make the needed adjustments, but chances are also slim that we'd have even gotten a player with his upside with that pick.

We'll know before the draft whether they'll play games this season. By that time AA should have a decent enough feel for the players that will be available at #25 to decide to even offer close enough to slot value for those guys to sign. Having two picks in the Top 30 in a much deeper 2021 draft may well be the best outcome we could have possibly hoped for. Those two picks could easily be better than what we gave up for Ozuna and what's there at #25 this season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Giving up draft picks for free agents trending towards not being such a great value in hindsight.
    I guess if you knew the CV19 would cancel sports, yes. But i still like AA's approach to building the team even if the season is cancelled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Why do we have to take sides between owners and players? They're all incredibly greedy and out of touch. Seeing millionaires and billionaires fight over how to divide my money isn't a great look. I just want baseball and I'm not seeing a lot of reasonable positions right now.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    The circumstances are different obviously, but it’s feeling like 1994 in MLB to me at the moment

Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    See you guys in 2021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The players aren't settling in this one, it seems. Hopefully, the owners pony-up.

Agree with thewupk - see y'all in 2021

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    See you guys in 2021
    I shall never forget the Marcell Ozuna Era in Braves history.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-28-2020), jpx7 (05-28-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    If there is no 2020 season, the PR hit the sport will take is going to be as bad, perhaps even worse than in the 1994-95 work stoppage. Unfortunately, the players and owners don’t seem to really care about that in their unwillingness to compromise. Too much at stake for MLB and it seems like it’s about to be thrown away in a battle of egos.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Why do we have to take sides between owners and players? They're all incredibly greedy and out of touch. Seeing millionaires and billionaires fight over how to divide my money isn't a great look. I just want baseball and I'm not seeing a lot of reasonable positions right now.
    Because - in this case, at least - while both sides are incredibly greedy, the players are being incredibly stupid on top of things.

Like him or not, players don't have to look any further than Tom Glavine for their "voice of reason" - and he was the poster child for the last work stoppage. He keeps saying they're playing with fire, and he's right. While it's incredibly tough for fans to wrap their heads around it, the people that own (and fund) the teams aren't baseball fans anymore...they're businessmen period. They've all embraced analytics, trimmed lots of fat, and don't intend to operate while losing large sums of money anymore. The game and the fans aren't the important things anymore - these guys are only interested in spending their piles of money if it makes them bigger piles, and they've hired seriously smart people (rather than baseball fans) to see to it that their investments aren't bleeding internally.

If fans aren't coming to the park to see the games (or can't) and make money for owners by spending on incidentals (parking, hot dogs, beer, etc.) the owners aren't able to maximize their investment. The players aren't paying anyone's salaries (other than their agents) out of their back pockets. Here's hoping someone with some common sense starts speaking to (and leading) the players before the owners decide this isn't a good investment and decide to take their piles of money and go home (or spend them elsewhere).
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-28-2020 at 09:56 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The owners have as much incentive to grab what cash there is available as anyone else. Some cash is better than no cash. This should settle.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    An interesting counter proposal for the players would be no revenue sharing, but agreeing to deferred payments of this years salaries. That would reduce the hit the owners take this season and the players would still get their money.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2020)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I have to wonder if some of the lost revenue for fan attendance can't come from selling the TV, etc rights. Are the teams currently being paid an annual or per game TV contracts? Expand the playoffs and make it all pay per view, that could make up a ton of revenue. I understand contracts, etc, it's just interesting that that's what will need to happen in all sports to make up for lost attendance revenue.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    I have to wonder if some of the lost revenue for fan attendance can't come from selling the TV, etc rights. Are the teams currently being paid an annual or per game TV contracts? Expand the playoffs and make it all pay per view, that could make up a ton of revenue. I understand contracts, etc, it's just interesting that that's what will need to happen in all sports to make up for lost attendance revenue.
    Will be awfully tough to generate that type of revenue if 20% of the country is out of work.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    They could sell the various seating sections around the field for temporary advertisements.

Then with tv viewership up, they could also charge more for advertising.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The owners have as much incentive to grab what cash there is available as anyone else. Some cash is better than no cash. This should settle.
    The owners' position is that they will lose more money every game played with no fans in attendance if they pay the players a prorated salary than if they simply don't play any games. If this is true, then no, it doesn't make sense to grab more negative cash.

I'm going to assume Scherzer is right, and the owners are not being truthful about how much they stand to lose/gain in each scenario. This explains why the owners won't be transparent with these accounting numbers. So again, it's a scenario where the billionaires are being greedy scum, and labor isn't going to allow it.

There is a real risk now that this doesn't settle because the owners gave the players false revenue information, and they won't be willing to admit to that fact by settling with the union.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2020)