Thread: Sources: MLB finalizing return-to-play proposal (Passan)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

Sources: MLB finalizing return-to-play proposal (Passan)

Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 05-06-2020 at 08:39 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (05-08-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Couldn’t have posted this in the thread we already have open about when the season is going to start? You know, the other thread that you also started about this topic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Couldn’t have posted this in the thread we already have open about when the season is going to start? You know, the other thread that you also started about this topic!
    Passan gets his own thread. Many question Nightengale’s credibility.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    They’re both tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Trevor Plouffe > Nightengale
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    One guy tests positive and the season is over. Only half-kidding.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-08-2020), jpx7 (05-07-2020)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    One guy tests positive and the season is over. Only half-kidding.
    I mean, besides the player-compensation issue, that is the other massive hurdle—and one that I think is ultimately more substantial to actual playing the season (as opposed to just setting a date for starting it).

If a player tests positive, there's a non-trivial chance it'll end up being more than one player by the time they've ascertained there's a positive case—so what happens if a sixth of the proposed thirty-man active roster is suddenly medically ineligible? Or if two teams playing a three-game series suddenly each lose half their players to medical ineligibility? And, even if cases are caught at the single-player level, how many individual cases can a roster withstand? What if a player tests negative, but a household member comes up positive? Is that player medically ineligible anyways, as a precaution?

Lots of questions—and of course none of this even mentions how competitively fraught everything could get. For instance, say the Braves were to lose Acuña, Albies, and Swanson for a 14–21-day stretch in precautionary quarantine, and that happens to coincide with a few series against top division rivals. Or say the Twins lose their whole bullpen for 14–21 days right before the postseason?

Going to be strange baseball, if there's a season at all, for a hell of a host of reasons.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (05-11-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I mean, besides the player-compensation issue, that is the other massive hurdle—and one that I think is ultimately more substantial to actual playing the season (as opposed to just setting a date for starting it).

If a player tests positive, there's a non-trivial chance it'll end up being more than one player by the time they've ascertained there's a positive case—so what happens if a sixth of the proposed thirty-man active roster is suddenly medically ineligible? Or if two teams playing a three-game series suddenly each lose half their players to medical ineligibility? And, even if cases are caught at the single-player level, how many individual cases can a roster withstand? What if a player tests negative, but a household member comes up positive? Is that player medically ineligible anyways, as a precaution?

Lots of questions—and of course none of this even mentions how competitively fraught everything could get. For instance, say the Braves were to lose Acuña, Albies, and Swanson for a 14–21-day stretch in precautionary quarantine, and that happens to coincide with a few series against top division rivals. Or say the Twins lose their whole bullpen for 14–21 days right before the postseason?

Going to be strange baseball, if there's a season at all, for a hell of a host of reasons.
    This is what I brought up in the other restart the season topic (bringing me back to why are there 2 topics for the same issue), but I digress. When a player catches the virus, there will be a large portion of that team and other teams said player has played against that will need to be held out for precaution. How does MLB handle this? How can a team be penalized if their players catch it? And what will it take for the season to be called off again? Will it need to be a Bryce Harper or Mike Trout catching the virus, or if someone like Charlie Culberson or Johan Camargo catch it would it get the same reaction from MLB?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-07-2020), jpx7 (05-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Never have I ever been so turned on in my life. Let's get this party started!