Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLBTR mock expansion draft

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

MLBTR mock expansion draft

MLBTR is doing a mock expansion draft, and they are making a pool for every team to determine which players are protected.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ion-draft.html

The rules and common sense dictate the Braves would protect the following players:

Freddie Freeman
    Ronald Acuna Jr.
    Ozzie Albies
    Max Fried
    Mike Soroka
    Mike Foltynewicz
    Dansby Swanson
    Kyle Wright
    Cristian Pache

So there are 6 more spots to fill. They listed 19 candidates, and I bolded the ones I would consider:

Johan Camargo
    Travis d’Arnaud
    Grant Dayton
    Adam Duvall
    Ender Inciarte
    Alex Jackson
    Luke Jackson
    Chris Martin
    A.J. Minter
    Sean Newcomb
    Austin Riley
    Will Smith
    Chad Sobotka
    Touki Toussaint
    Jeremy Walker
    Jacob Webb
    Bryse Wilson
    Huascar Ynoa

At the end of the day, I keep the guys with the highest ceilings in Riley, Touki and Newk. These guys seem like locks.

I keep the the legit MLB players on reasonable contracts in d'Arn and Ender.

I let some other team take on the back end of Smith's deal if they want it, and they can have bench players like Duvall and Camargo if they want them.

My 6th spot goes to Minter in hopes he returns to the back end BP arm he showed in the past.

The Braves have a lot of MLB-ready arms I expect to be raided fairly heavily in this mock draft.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-28-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Poll results at 2:15 PM offer---

Riley at 94.55
    Newcomb 85.18
    Smith 66.59
    Camargo 62.20
    touki 54.14
    Wilson 49.54
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The expansion teams will be off to a decent start if they can fill C and CF cheaply with Ender and d'Arn.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-28-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Little d
    Ender
    Newk
    Riley
    Wilson
    Touki.

Touki was on the bubble with Smith, but I ultimately chose Touki due to the updside and cost advantage.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I voted for Riley, Touki, Newk, d'Arnaud, Martin, and Smith.

I'm not so sure I'd protect Folty - I'd probably protect Smith instead. If you did that I would have had Wilson in Smith's place.

If this expansion draft follows the same rules as the last one and somebody takes Folty, you're able to more or less keep all the young pitching intact. After a team has someone picked, they're able to pull three more players back. At that point you could add Minter, Wilson, and Camargo or Ender to your protected list prior to the second round.

I understand the thought about protecting Ender, but if there was an expansion draft next week you can make the argument that he's that much more "expendable" given this will be a partial season at best. Put Acuna back in CF and platoon Markakis and Duvall or Riley in RF if need be while you still have Ozuna to hold onto all the arms with the most control. If that OF struggles too much defensively, go ahead and plug Pache in and slide Acuna back over.

ZiPS has Folty pegged at 8.35 K/9, 3.28 BB/9, and a 4.31 FIP and Wilson at 8.52 K/9, 2.71 BB/9, and a 4.36 FIP (in a roughly similar number of innings in 2020). We've seen Folty's up AND downsides already, and they're maddeningly different. If he's your #4 (which he is with Hamels healthy), I'd hope to replicate his production with some mix of Touki/Wright/Wilson/Anderson with a lot more control for substantially less money while Newk, Martin, and Smith (hopefully along with Minter at some point) are still around to close out games.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-28-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Why on Earth would an expansion team take on a contract like Smith's? To trade?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-29-2020), jpx7 (05-29-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Good question - and I don't have that answer. There were 3 All-Stars taken in the last expansion draft, why did it happen then? You don't think the Dodgers would give them a pretty *amn good prospect they'd have full control over to have Smith in their pen? I'm more worried that they'd take Smith or one of the younger arms before taking Folty - I personally would make sure to protect Touki and Wilson before I'd protect either of the other two. If either of them is left unprotected they'll be snatched up immediately, and a part of me is ready to move on from Folty before he gets any more expensive.

I don't think I'd vigorously disagree if someone felt like rolling the dice that he wouldn't be taken in order to protect Wright, Touki, and Wilson - I think there's plenty of validity to doing that (because of that contract). More about Smith over Folty for me.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-29-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    This draft would be happening after this season, at which point the Braves will possibly be willing to give the last 2 years of Smith's contract away for nothing. There would be almost zero reason to protect him, and folks suggesting the Braves should do so have no idea about the surplus value assigned to players by FOs. All they know is the players they think are "best".

Protecting BP arms like Martin on short term deals over potential long term pieces like Wright is laughable.

I also find it funny so many people want to protect Camargo, a bench piece likely to be non-tendered the moment he starts making any real money in arbitration.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-29-2020 at 01:34 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-29-2020), JohnAdcox (06-02-2020), jpx7 (05-29-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This draft would be happening after this season, at which point the Braves will possibly be willing to give the last 2 years of Smith's contract away for nothing. There would be almost zero reason to protect him, and folks suggesting the Braves should do so have no idea about the surplus value assigned to players by FOs. All they know is the players they think are "best".

Protecting BP arms like Martin on short term deals over potential long term pieces like Wright is laughable.

I also find it funny so many people want to protect Camargo, a bench piece likely to be non-tendered the moment he starts making any real money in arbitration.
    The story stated that protecting Wright was a given - he was one of the first 9 players - you might want to go back and read the story.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I agree with you but would add that Inciarte would either be traded prior to setting the protected list OR would be left unprotected. The exercise as stated assumes certain players being around to be drafted. I think all teams, including Atlanta, would try to trade at risk pieces that have value but not necessarily long term position before having to cement a list.

If you couldn't get enough value in trade to warrant a trade then that informs your need to protect.

d'Arnaud also likely wouldn't make my list simply because he is signed only for 2021 (assuming an after 2020 season draft). You would have to weigh his one year of control against the value you need to protect PLUS the options available in FA or trade for a replacement.

From the MLBTR article, I'm not sure Folty would be protected. Likely he's like Inciarte. If you take Folty off that leaves 7 spots.

Also, it appears that the choices given to protect is pretty limited. For instance, they left out Waters, Langeliers and Anderson for some reason (plus Muller, Shewmake, Davidson, etc.). They likely did this to limit their list only to those who played in 2019 OR are top 100 and at AAA.

Having said that, I think I would go with the following 7, (in addition to the 8 mlbtr selected (less Folty): Waters, Anderson, Langeliers, Shewmake, Newcomb, Riley, Wilson.

According to the rules, the Braves would lose one player then be able to protect three more, lose one/add three, etc.

The ones I left unprotected assuming no pre-protection trades would be: Inciarte, Folty, d'Arnaud, Touki, Luke J, Alex J, Smith, Martin, Minter, etc. can't see that hurts too much.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I agree with you but would add that Inciarte would either be traded prior to setting the protected list OR would be left unprotected. The exercise as stated assumes certain players being around to be drafted. I think all teams, including Atlanta, would try to trade at risk pieces that have value but not necessarily long term position before having to cement a list.

If you couldn't get enough value in trade to warrant a trade then that informs your need to protect.

d'Arnaud also likely wouldn't make my list simply because he is signed only for 2021 (assuming an after 2020 season draft). You would have to weigh his one year of control against the value you need to protect PLUS the options available in FA or trade for a replacement.

From the MLBTR article, I'm not sure Folty would be protected. Likely he's like Inciarte. If you take Folty off that leaves 7 spots.

Also, it appears that the choices given to protect is pretty limited. For instance, they left out Waters, Langeliers and Anderson for some reason (plus Muller, Shewmake, Davidson, etc.). They likely did this to limit their list only to those who played in 2019 OR are top 100 and at AAA.

Having said that, I think I would go with the following 7, (in addition to the 8 mlbtr selected (less Folty): Waters, Anderson, Langeliers, Shewmake, Newcomb, Riley, Wilson.

According to the rules, the Braves would lose one player then be able to protect three more, lose one/add three, etc.

The ones I left unprotected assuming no pre-protection trades would be: Inciarte, Folty, d'Arnaud, Touki, Luke J, Alex J, Smith, Martin, Minter, etc. can't see that hurts too much.
    Players that haven't been added to the 40-Man Roster don't have to be protected - this is for an "expansion" draft.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Players that haven't been added to the 40-Man Roster don't have to be protected - this is for an "expansion" draft.
    Didn't see that explicitly given in the article and couldn't remember from the last expansion draft. Would be more interesting if it was the whole organization...would probably hurt teams like the Dodgers the most, a lot of ML talent AND minor league talent.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Didn't see that explicitly given in the article and couldn't remember from the last expansion draft. Would be more interesting if it was the whole organization...would probably hurt teams like the Dodgers the most, a lot of ML talent AND minor league talent.
    Yeah it was in the fine print at the top. They had a link to the rules of the expansion draft.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If you haven't voted on the Nationals and summitted some combo of Starlin Castro/Yan Gomes/Difo as needing to be kept you're doing it wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

This is a good thought process that I hadn't considered. I think it's a little too in depth for this mock draft exercise though.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-02-2020), jpx7 (06-03-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    The location of the two expansion teams is more interesting to me.

Hopefully Las Vegas and one team in the South (either Charlotte or Nashville)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    The location of the two expansion teams is more interesting to me.

Hopefully Las Vegas and one team in the South (either Charlotte or Nashville)
    Oh yeah, sounds great. Cut into the Braves fandom even more. Excellent idea!!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Oh yeah, sounds great. Cut into the Braves fandom even more. Excellent idea!!
    The south has been at the front of the line to get an expansion team for years - if and when that ever happens.

Vegas is probably a forgone conclusion now that the NFL has finally broken the glass there. It may not be right away (especially with Montreal trying to climb back into the picture), but there's bound to be an MLB team there at some point.

Why not fix it all at once? Put one team in Charlotte, move the Rays to Vegas, and move the Marlins to Montreal.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Charlotte would be a small market, struggling team without much of a fan base like its other two franchises.

Cue someone telling me how much its AAA affiliate draws, like that matters.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Charlotte would be a small market, struggling team without much of a fan base like its other two franchises.

Cue someone telling me how much its AAA affiliate draws, like that matters.
    Have wondered the same thing about market size as well. It's been one of the first places that come up seemingly every time expansion's been discussed over the last ten years though.