Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's assume there will be < 60 game regular season

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Lots of interesting questions from an organizational standpoint now. In no particular order...

1.) Do you add Pache to the roster to get his feet wet since there's no taxi squad and likely no minor league games? With the ability to platoon Ender with him, you can accomplish several objectives. He doesn't lose a developmental season, and you can get him even more ABs later on if there's the extended AFL that was talked about after seeing higher level pitching for a bit (more or less a long spring training).

2.) Do you leave Riley OFF the roster entirely (or for the majority of the season) since there's not going to be a universal DH hoping to recoup some of the service-time burned last year while he was so completely lost at the plate? Send him to that extended AFL to get him ABs assuming the level of pitching will be better than it has in recent years? (Not sure that will be possible given the number of days he's spent on the 40-Man Roster already.) He and Camargo aren't exactly a great platoon to begin with, and with a 10 week season where Ozuna and Duvall are in the last year of their contracts he's not likely going to log any time in the OF. If Freddie needs a day off you can just play Culberson or Markakis over there (and I think d'Arnaud has logged some time over there before as well).

3.) Do you add Anderson to the pitching mix if you decide to piggyback guys in some way so he doesn't lose the entire developmental year and send King Felix packing? If you use Soroka, Hamels, Folty, and Fried as your "SPs", you could conceivably pair two of Newk, Wright, Wilson, and Anderson for 3 innings each every 6th day and have everyone pitch once a week.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Not meant as political, but with our current lack of leadership and the decisions being currently made, I expect we will see a situation where athletics is the last thing on folks' minds and nobody will care or should they. I don't expect athletics to return until sometime in 2021. It most likely gets so bad that the country should close again. Sadly there are too many people that believe conspiracy rather than have good sense. But it will give the leader a chance to stay in office because he will use it to cancel the election to prevent a loss
    states run elections. bunker baby can't cancel anything.
    i'm not sure how we curb it at this point. mass mask wearing would help but now those have been made political. this is exactly what lack of/poor leadership leads to.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Lots of interesting questions from an organizational standpoint now. In no particular order...

1.) Do you add Pache to the roster to get his feet wet since there's no taxi squad and likely no minor league games? With the ability to platoon Ender with him, you can accomplish several objectives. He doesn't lose a developmental season, and you can get him even more ABs later on if there's the extended AFL that was talked about after seeing higher level pitching for a bit (more or less a long spring training).

2.) Do you leave Riley OFF the roster entirely (or for the majority of the season) since there's not going to be a universal DH hoping to recoup some of the service-time burned last year while he was so completely lost at the plate? Send him to that extended AFL to get him ABs assuming the level of pitching will be better than it has in recent years? (Not sure that will be possible given the number of days he's spent on the 40-Man Roster already.) He and Camargo aren't exactly a great platoon to begin with, and with a 10 week season where Ozuna and Duvall are in the last year of their contracts he's not likely going to log any time in the OF. If Freddie needs a day off you can just play Culberson or Markakis over there (and I think d'Arnaud has logged some time over there before as well).

3.) Do you add Anderson to the pitching mix if you decide to piggyback guys in some way so he doesn't lose the entire developmental year and send King Felix packing? If you use Soroka, Hamels, Folty, and Fried as your "SPs", you could conceivably pair two of Newk, Wright, Wilson, and Anderson for 3 innings each every 6th day and have everyone pitch once a week.

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    ·
    3h
    Word is owners are indeed ready to allow the universal DH this season for preserving player health but not in 2021. That assumes the sides sign off on all health/safety protocols.
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Looks like they’re going to get sixty games at pro rata without any of the extra concessions, so not sure how ridiculous it is, ultimately.
    I guess. They lose on concessions made to them as well and in return for the right to file a grievance I’m not sure they have a chance of winning.

Ultimately, the Owners dragged their feet at the beginning and it cost us games and the players dragged this out at the end and it embarrassed baseball again.

I’m happy they’ll start the season just in time to get completely canceled out by the NBA playoffs.

What a waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I guess. They lose on concessions made to them as well and in return for the right to file a grievance I’m not sure they have a chance of winning.

Ultimately, the Owners dragged their feet at the beginning and it cost us games and the players dragged this out at the end and it embarrassed baseball again.

I’m happy they’ll start the season just in time to get completely canceled out by the NBA playoffs.

What a waste.
    At least we get some semblance of baseball and don’t have a completely lost year for Acuna/Albies and our other young stars.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    At least we get some semblance of baseball and don’t have a completely lost year for Acuna/Albies and our other young stars.
    Personally I feel this is helpful for a team like the Braves.

Freeman is usually in his groove after a couple of months and slowing down when the season normally ends.

First 60 games
    2019: 972 OPS
    2018: 948 OPS
    2017: 1072 OPS

Last 30 games
    2019: 788 OPS
    2018: 849 OPS
    2017: 871 OPS

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

I could see there still being a taxi squad. They’re going to have allow teams to carry more players due to injury risks, etc. Especially with no minors. I’d want to keep Pache on the taxi squad or not playing at all as I wouldn’t want to waste a year of service time in this clown season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I may have missed it, but what about MiLB? Are the options for Pache to play bench warmer burning his clock, or sit at home, and nothing else?

Sitting at home and not burning service time may be the right answer here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Personally I feel this is helpful for a team like the Braves.

Freeman is usually in his groove after a couple of months and slowing down when the season normally ends.

First 60 games
    2019: 972 OPS
    2018: 948 OPS
    2017: 1072 OPS

Last 30 games
    2019: 788 OPS
    2018: 849 OPS
    2017: 871 OPS
    You forgot his 2019 playoff stats though.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You forgot his 2019 playoff stats though.
    I think we all know how that went

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I may have missed it, but what about MiLB? Are the options for Pache to play bench warmer burning his clock, or sit at home, and nothing else?

Sitting at home and not burning service time may be the right answer here.
    Nothing official, but most sources say the MiLB season will be cancelled this year. There were rumors of a taxi squad that will travel with the MLB teams of roughly 20 players to be ready for DL replacements and such, but nothing concrete.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

I think there is going to be a universal DH for 2020. The option for it in 2021 got removed when the players declined the latest offer (but for future purposes, it's likely to be on the next CBA and after everyone stops arguing, it's likely to get passed).

I also have to think they're still going to do a taxi squad. Players are going to test positive, it's just a matter of when. If you see half a team test positive, what are you going to do? Just forfeit?

There is also about a 0% chance you see minor league baseball play this year.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    They haven't announced anything official yet, but I would treat this as your final nail in the coffin for 2020 Minor League Baseball...

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1275573110754942978

I'd also take this as an indicator that they are going to try as hard as they can to actually complete a season if this idea goes through. If they don't complete, things will have gotten really ugly.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    40 vs division, and 20 vs out of division AL East most likely, gonna be brutal per heyman.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Looks like teams can have a pool of up to 60 players for the year. Those on the 40 man and up to an additional 20. That list is due by Friday. Should be fun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    40 vs division, and 20 vs out of division AL East most likely, gonna be brutal per heyman.
    Super excited for baseball to be back but not going to work myself up about deluxe spring training results. Actually pretty glad to see us play against the best competition possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    It’s too bad the Cubs and Red Sox didn’t end their curses this year. That would have been fun