Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's assume there will be < 60 game regular season

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But what is the rule, can you immediately pinch run for that player on 2nd? I haven't seen clarification on that.
    I would assume you could, but you’d be burning through players if you went to pinch run each half inning in extras.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    With the new extra-inning rule, if there was ever a good argument for having Billy Hamilton (or a similar speedster) as your 25th guy, this is it.
    And for part of the season the roster is expanded anyways. 30 guys through 2 weeks. 28 guys the next 2 weeks and down to 26 the rest of the season.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    But you don’t get to pick who the runner on second is. It’s the player that made the final out of the prior inning. So if Tyler Flowers was the last out, he’s on second.

And to clvclv, to call up Pache and have his clock start to act as a glorified pinch runner is a horrible, horrible waste for the Braves. If you’re going to waste a season of his clock on this silly season, you’d want him getting serious playing time, and we already have a glut of outfielders. Only way he sees time on the active roster is there are massive injury concerns and I think he’s still below people like Ortega and O’Brien on the pecking order.
    So they don't allow for a pinch-runner? If I'm Flowers in this situation, I definitely pull a hammy trotting out to second to start the inning.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-29-2020), jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It doesn’t mean it’s automatic, but many will bunt to advance the runner. I just don’t like it. Maybe I’m in the minority, just doesn’t do anything for the game that’s positive.
    It’s a dumbass rule that completely cheapens the game. But, it makes sense for a shortened season when there are no off-days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It’s a dumbass rule that completely cheapens the game. But, it makes sense for a shortened season when there are no off-days.
    It's the dumbest rule ever in my opinion. I get it for the minors where W/L really doesn't matter and the stakes are much lower. But it's almost as stupid as bringing out a card table and having an arm wrestling match between the managers to determine the outcome of the game.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020), thethe (06-27-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Some one please correct me here - this means we go to tenth and Mets have runner on and he scores. Then bottom we have runner on and he scores- rinse and repeat- right ? Seems to me this would make games actually longer - or I missed something here ?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    But you don’t get to pick who the runner on second is. It’s the player that made the final out of the prior inning. So if Tyler Flowers was the last out, he’s on second.

And to clvclv, to call up Pache and have his clock start to act as a glorified pinch runner is a horrible, horrible waste for the Braves. If you’re going to waste a season of his clock on this silly season, you’d want him getting serious playing time, and we already have a glut of outfielders. Only way he sees time on the active roster is there are massive injury concerns and I think he’s still below people like Ortega and O’Brien on the pecking order.
    That's obviously not the only reason to add him to the roster, but feel free to make stupid points.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That's obviously not the only reason to add him to the roster, but feel free to make stupid points.
    What other reasons are there for actually adding him to the roster and wasting a year of service time? Especially with the taxi squad, where he’s going to get to practice with the MLB team on a daily basis and won’t lose a year of development in that way? Why start his clock for a 60 game season that we may not even get half way through?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    What other reasons are there for actually adding him to the roster and wasting a year of service time? Especially with the taxi squad, where he’s going to get to practice with the MLB team on a daily basis and won’t lose a year of development in that way? Why start his clock for a 60 game season that we may not even get half way through?
    We already have 5 outfielders. I don’t see any reason other than injuries that he would get any playing time on the big squad. Keep him down.
    Coppy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020), Skeeter31 (06-28-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We already have 5 outfielders. I don’t see any reason other than injuries that he would get any playing time on the big squad. Keep him down.
    Not to mention that Riley and Culberson can play outfield and we still have Ortega and O’Brien as well. I would think all would get a shot before wasting service time for Pache.

If this was a normal season, I would have been all for Pache getting called up at some point if he was needed and starting his clock, but it just doesn’t make sense for the organization long term to call him up for this asinine season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    DOB and Bowman asleep at the wheel as usual - 60 Man pools had to be submitted by noon, and we've heard nothing but crickets.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    https://twitter.com/680TheFan/status...020908034?s=20

Roster has been posted. No real surprises. Maybe the fact we’re rolling with 7 catchers.

We did only name 56 players. So we may be looking at adding a few FAs
    Last edited by Skeeter31; 06-28-2020 at 04:00 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    https://twitter.com/680TheFan/status...020908034?s=20

Roster has been posted. No real surprises. Maybe the fact we’re rolling with 7 catchers.

We did only name 56 players. So we may be looking at adding a few FAs
    Read O'Brien's post and you'll find the answer to question about 56 in pool.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    interesting to see Shuster on the squad.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    The seven catchers seems to indicate they are treating the extras like it's spring training and want the additional pitchers to get a lot of work on the side. I take it that only guys on the 60-man roster can participate in workouts because that's the only way seven catchers make any real sense.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I haven't really been paying attention. Are there limits on the number of people that can travel or will our non active mlb players be traveling with the team to have inter-squad training/simulated games with another teams non active mlb players? If that can happen, Pache, Waters, Langeliers, Shuster, etc. are getting a "Finishing Year" without impacting their clocks. Even if they won't possibly be ready this year (Langeliers and Shuster) it will benefit them moving forward. On the other hand, if they are stuck in Atlanta all year doing drills this is likely a wasted year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    I haven't really been paying attention. Are there limits on the number of people that can travel or will our non active mlb players be traveling with the team to have inter-squad training/simulated games with another teams non active mlb players? If that can happen, Pache, Waters, Langeliers, Shuster, etc. are getting a "Finishing Year" without impacting their clocks. Even if they won't possibly be ready this year (Langeliers and Shuster) it will benefit them moving forward. On the other hand, if they are stuck in Atlanta all year doing drills this is likely a wasted year.
    I don't know all the rules either. It would seem from the construction of the 60-man squad that they are the only players who can participate in team-related activities including workouts. If that's the case, it makes sense to have the high draft picks involved even if they never see the field. We probably don't see any of those guys unless there is an absolute emergency. Depending on how they are doing in workouts, I can see Anderson and Muller contributing at some point seeing they have to go on the 40-man over the winter anyway. But even with those guys, my guess is it would have to be extenuating circumstances for them to see game action.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know all the rules either. It would seem from the construction of the 60-man squad that they are the only players who can participate in team-related activities including workouts. If that's the case, it makes sense to have the high draft picks involved even if they never see the field. We probably don't see any of those guys unless there is an absolute emergency. Depending on how they are doing in workouts, I can see Anderson and Muller contributing at some point seeing they have to go on the 40-man over the winter anyway. But even with those guys, my guess is it would have to be extenuating circumstances for them to see game action.
    Correct, only the 60 players are eligible to workout with the team. The Braves will be running 2 separate camps, one in Atlanta and one in Gwinnett. The extra catchers are to handle the extra pitchers. Most likely all of the minor leaguers on the 60 man will be part of the taxi squad that will remain in Gwinnett for most, if not all, of the season. It wouldn’t surprise me to see some teams organizing scrimmages as the season goes on between their taxi squads to get some real game action for them.

And since these are the only players that are allowed to do any sanctioned baseball work, it’s better to have every one of your higher prospects on the roster, otherwise they would just be left to their own devices.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    One of the earlier reports was that the "official" taxi squad would consist of 3 players. Assuming that's the case, 33 players will be rostered for the first two weeks, then that will be cut down to 31 for the next two weeks, then finally down to 29 - the 26 Man Roster plus the three players that will be with the team in case of an emergency.

Once it gets down to 26, I'd think that will likely mean they carry the 3rd Catcher (Jackson), a utility type (Culberson or Solarte maybe?), and a multi-inning RP type (Tomlin) as the taxi squad - that way they'd have Culberson/Solarte in the event they needed to use Camargo or Riley in the OF if there was an injury (or someone contracted the virus) and Tomlin could step in for a day or two if they're on the road and it takes time to get Wright/Wilson/Touki to wherever they are.

Everybody that's not part of the active roster and taxi squad will be together (in Gwinnett?) playing intrasquad games, throwing pens and side sessions, etc. the way it sounded.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-29-2020 at 10:45 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2020)