Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's assume there will be < 60 game regular season

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Haven't seen this posted anywhere

If games go to extra innings, the hitting team, beginning in the 10th will start with a runner on 2nd. That runner will be the one who made the 3rd out in the 9th.

See MLBTR article for more clarity.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

If games go to extra innings, the hitting team, beginning in the 10th will start with a runner on 2nd. That runner will be the one who made the 3rd out in the 9th.

That's the current minor league rule.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

Yeah was posted a few months ago that this would be included in the new plan.

They’re also going to relax the 3 batter rule for relief pitchers for “spring” training and could wind up relaxing it for the season as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    With some teams planning to be bad (Marlins, Os, Tigers, etc.) I wonder if we will have a team finish with under 10 wins

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    With some teams planning to be bad (Marlins, Os, Tigers, etc.) I wonder if we will have a team finish with under 10 wins
    Gotta think it’s the best of both worlds for them....lose less money and the pain of a bad year goes by even quicker.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Fragile? I would say someone offended by a Braves logo is fragile. I’m literally the opposite.

The “A” is also on other caps (like the Oakland A’s). In fact it would “maybe” make sense for Oakland....we have never been known as the Atlanta A’s....so if you can’t see how bad a slogan that is....I won’t waste my time explaining it to you. Replacing it is ridiculous...replacing with what they did Is down right embarrassing.
    the Oakland A's play in...Oakland. you're saying their slogan would be "For the A" as in for the...Athletic? no, that slogan makes no sense for them.
    people call Atlanta "The A."
    i'm not arguing it's an amazing slogan, i don't really care what they use. but you're not the "literal opposite of fragile" if you're that upset about a twitter hashtag and a change in a logo that hasn't even happened. that's fragility.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Haven't read anything about service time. But teams can have up to a 60 man roster that will be available to pull from. And there will be expanded rosters up to 30 players for the first month and going down to 26 over time. Also saw there can be up to a 3 man taxi club that travels with teams on the road. I'd be surprised if Pache is not one of the extra players available for call up.
    Right - that was the reason for the question.

I'm assuming the owners are going to find a way around 2020 service-time costing them any control. Since they're actually going to have the taxi squads, it would make sense for the players to agree to let that happen IF the prospects added to any taxi squads were to be paid the pro-rated MLB minimum salary for those 60 games (or at least something significantly higher than the amount they'd have been paid in the minors). Teams aren't going to have 50-60 players in their own systems that they're going to want to have burning service-time while losing precious control over them. Ron Gardenhire has already said Mize, Manning, Skubal, and Faedo will be part of their taxi squad and/or 60-Man Roster even though they "might not make their debuts this season".

My guess is that there will be some sort of emergency clause for prospects - that they can be on taxi squads to get reps and experience, and that they can be plugged in to play in a handful of games in the event teams have no other choice than to play them if players opt-out or get sick. There are still some interesting players available to be added to rosters (plenty of names tossed out earlier), but all 30 teams will likely be trying to add those guys at this point - it won't be long before they're all gone and there's nobody out there.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-25-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I actually wouldn’t mind the taxi squad remaining forever and replacing the minor league system. Each team gets a taxi squad of 20 players that travels with the team all season and practices with the team. Reduce the draft to 5 rounds every year. Eliminates players coming directly out of high school, makes NCAA the de facto minor league system.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to experimentation and change in sports, but I'm having a tough time accepting this modified schedule if we're going to have the same playoff structure. So NL East teams will be competing for two wild card spots with NL Central & West teams despite never playing a single game against them or having a single common opponent? Am I interpreting this correctly?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    I actually wouldn’t mind the taxi squad remaining forever and replacing the minor league system. Each team gets a taxi squad of 20 players that travels with the team all season and practices with the team. Reduce the draft to 5 rounds every year. Eliminates players coming directly out of high school, makes NCAA the de facto minor league system.
    Minor leagues employ a lot of people and many teams are profitable and attract help attract tourism for their towns. Not to mention, at least 1/3 of minor league players are foreign and don't get a chance to play college ball. What happens with them and the future for players from these countries?

It would be a big mistake to completely do away with the minor leagues, imo.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-25-2020), clvclv (06-25-2020), Super (06-25-2020), VirginiaBrave (06-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to experimentation and change in sports, but I'm having a tough time accepting this modified schedule if we're going to have the same playoff structure. So NL East teams will be competing for two wild card spots with NL Central & West teams despite never playing a single game against them or having a single common opponent? Am I interpreting this correctly?
    Yup.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (06-25-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    I agree with some measure of major league roster expansion. Call it a taxi squad if you'd like, but I always thought having something like a 30-man/25-available framework would make some sense. But I agree with Carp about retaining the minor leagues. There is going to be contraction and my guess is non-MLB franchise-owned entities will be the first ones targeted for elimination. Player development would really suffer in the absence of a minor league system with gradated levels. What a system like that would ultimately look like given the likelihood of contraction remains to be seen, but it needs to be there. Add to that the whole international market of players and I don't see how those players could be woven into the system without some type of formalized entry point into and development structure once in the professional game.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Yup.
    I guess this is one of the consequences of the players and owners not coming to a new agreement since Manfred is only allowed to do so much unilaterally, but...this kinda sucks.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Wondering what the "60-Man Roster" will look like (assuming AA doesn't run out tomorrow and sign anyone else)...

Current 40-Man Roster

King Felix
    Anderson
    Muller
    De La Cruz

Tomlin
    Burrows
    Hoekstra
    Kalich

Langeliers
    Brown

Ball

Culberson
    Solarte
    Kozma
    Shewmake
    Grissom

Ortega
    O'Brien
    Waters
    Harris
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the Oakland A's play in...Oakland. you're saying their slogan would be "For the A" as in for the...Athletic? no, that slogan makes no sense for them.
    people call Atlanta "The A."
    i'm not arguing it's an amazing slogan, i don't really care what they use. but you're not the "literal opposite of fragile" if you're that upset about a twitter hashtag and a change in a logo that hasn't even happened. that's fragility.
    Ok...whatever makes you feel better. I’m not even the only one to mention how bad a slogan it is on the this thread. Change “Chop On” which many people loved and I thought was great...not a great decision in itself. Changing it to what they did is just horrible...if you don’t think it’s horrible...congrats...I guess?....many people don’t agree. It’s not because we are “fragile”...it’s because we think the slogan absolutely sucks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (06-25-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Not sure any of the WC's come from the NL East, schedule is tough and the NL Central/West teams have much more favorable schedules. But we'll see.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not sure any of the WC's come from the NL East, schedule is tough and the NL Central/West teams have much more favorable schedules. But we'll see.
    No use trying to make any kind of prediction out of a 60 game season.

I'd wager a bet that one of Yankees/Dodgers/Astros miss the playoffs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Ok...whatever makes you feel better. I’m not even the only one to mention how bad a slogan it is on the this thread. Change “Chop On” which many people loved and I thought was great...not a great decision in itself. Changing it to what they did is just horrible...if you don’t think it’s horrible...congrats...I guess?....many people don’t agree. It’s not because we are “fragile”...it’s because we think the slogan absolutely sucks.
    As someone who loves ... you should be flagged for too many... on the post.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Is there still going to be an All star game? Trade deadline?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    As someone who loves ... you should be flagged for too many... on the post.
    Haha. I just read this back and you are....correct!! I was multi-tasking and doing a horrible job.