Thread: Race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    the similarities re astonishing
    ///

I think the phrase that applies today is " plausible deniability
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Completely irrelevant post.

How are Africana American rights any different today than any other race? Please be specific if you think they are.
    This is the part...

Well you know the drill

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-31-2021), Tapate50 (03-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What are the similarities?

Be specific.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well if you understood what the figures meant in the statistic you think shows blacks are disproportionately killed by police then you’d know it was a faulty and almost irrelevant measure.

But I don’t expect someone who can’t hold a part time job at Verizon to understand these things.
    The statistic says that blacks are not statistically significant to be killed PER POLICE INTERACTION, but they're interacted with by Police at a significantly higher rate. Garbage in Garbage out.

Again, it's sad the only thing you can throw out against me is being fired from a full time job when I was 22. Cute. You have this weird boner like somehow you're superior to me and critique my working, but I'm not the one with 45K posts on this site, and I was here before you.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    lets level the field to where we are talking about the same thing
    A definition of Jim Crow
    ok ?
    ////

Black codes and Jim Crow laws were laws passed at different periods in the southern United States to enforce racial segregation and curtail the power of black voters.

After the Civil War ended in 1865, some states passed black codes that severely limited the rights of black people, many of whom had been enslaved. These codes limited what jobs African Americans could hold, and their ability to leave a job once hired. Some states also restricted the kind of property black people could own. The Reconstruction Act of 1867 weakened the effect of the black codes by requiring all states to uphold equal protection under the 14th Amendment, particularly by enabling black men to vote. (U.S. law prevented women of any race from voting in federal elections until 1920.)

During Reconstruction, many black men participated in politics by voting and by holding office. Reconstruction officially ended in 1877, and southern states then enacted more discriminatory laws. Efforts to enforce white supremacy by legislation increased, and African Americans tried to assert their rights through legal challenges. However, this effort led to a disappointing result in 1896, when the Supreme Court ruled, in Plessy v. Ferguson, that so-called “separate but equal” facilities—including public transport and schools—were constitutional. From this time until the Civil Rights Act of 1964, discrimination and segregation were legal and enforceable.

One of the first reactions against Reconstruction was to deprive African-American men of their voting rights. While the 14th and 15th Amendments prevented state legislatures from directly making it illegal to vote, they devised a number of indirect measures to disenfranchise black men. The grandfather clause said that a man could only vote if his ancestor had been a voter before 1867—but the ancestors of most African-Americans citizens had been enslaved and constitutionally ineligible to vote. Another discriminatory tactic was the literacy test, applied by a white county clerk. These clerks gave black voters extremely difficult legal documents to read as a test, while white men received an easy text. Finally, in many places, white local government officials simply prevented potential voters from registering. By 1940, the percentage of eligible African-American voters registered in the South was only three percent. As evidence of the decline, during Reconstruction, the percentage of African-American voting-age men registered to vote was more than 90 percent.

African Americans faced social, commercial, and legal discrimination. Theatres, hotels, and restaurants segregated them in inferior accommodations or refused to admit them at all. Shops served them last. In 1937, The Negro Motorist Green Book, a travel guide, was first published. It listed establishments where African-American travelers could expect to receive unprejudiced service. Segregated public schools meant generations of African-American children often received an education designed to be inferior to that of whites—with worn-out or outdated books, underpaid teachers, and lesser facilities and materials. In 1954, the Supreme Court declared discrimination in education unconstitutional in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, but it would take another 10 years for Congress to restore full civil rights to minorities, including protections for the right to vote.

The Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws
    The effort to protect the rights of blacks under Reconstruction was largely crushed by a series of oppressive laws and tactics called Jim Crow and the black codes. Here, an African-American man drinks from a water fountain marked "colored" at a streetcar terminal in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1939.

/////

- National Geographic ENCYCLOPEDIC ENTRY
    I mean thats a great post for another subject and great history lesson, but it really applies to nothing here unless you really believe expanded voter hours and not getting a water bottle backed by a political party disenfranchise black voters singularly.
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    This is the part...

Well you know the drill
    He’s just practicing the Joy Reid playbook.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The statistic says that blacks are not statistically significant to be killed PER POLICE INTERACTION, but they're interacted with by Police at a significantly higher rate. Garbage in Garbage out.

Again, it's sad the only thing you can throw out against me is being fired from a full time job when I was 22. Cute. You have this weird boner like somehow you're superior to me and critique my working, but I'm not the one with 45K posts on this site, and I was here before you.
    What do you think more police interactions per capita says exactly?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I mean thats a great post for another subject and great history lesson, but it really applies to nothing here unless you really believe expanded voter hours and not getting a water bottle backed by a political party disenfranchise black voters singularly.
    I mean why would it matter if people are given water bottles or food? That's the part I don't get.

But yeah, there are problems with not expanding voting hours as many poorer people are not as free to go vote whenever. Personally I wish voting lasted a week. You could have it be like M-F 7-6 - that would give everyone time to request off/get to polls not just on a tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    I mean why would it matter if people are given water bottles or food? That's the part I don't get.

But yeah, there are problems with not expanding voting hours as many poorer people are not as free to go vote whenever. Personally I wish voting lasted a week. You could have it be like M-F 7-6 - that would give everyone time to request off/get to polls not just on a tuesday.
    This is a person who is not familiar with the bill.

Jim Eagle!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts

HOLY ****.
    Ivermectin Man

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts

Jim Eagle!!
    I about fell out of my chair.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    What do you think more police interactions per capita says exactly?
    That police are more likely to stop you if you're brown than if you're white.

But I'm guessing because they were doing 55 in a 54

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    HOLY ****.
    You didn't answer. Why would it matter if a person is given water bottles or food? Why would it be bad to expand voting hours as you implied?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That police are more likely to stop you if you're brown than if you're white.

But I'm guessing because they were doing 55 in a 54
    For starters I’m almost 100% certain the metric is violent interactions and not routine traffic stops.

But I’m willing to admit I’m wrong about that if it could be shown.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Who is gonna tell him?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Who is gonna tell him?
    It wouldn’t matter
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Who is gonna tell him?
    Lol I'm hoping he can get there on his own.

It would be tremendous progress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Jim Eagle!!
    I'm not talking about the bill here skippy, I'm responding to a post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You’re not going to talk about a bill but ask a question specifically about parts that were answered by the bill?

Interesting tactic.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Who is gonna tell him?
    Let's take it one by one. Why does it matter if someone gives someone water?

You realize technically letter of the law, someone coudl get in trouble for bringing water from a car and handing it their group of friends. Now intention of the law of course that's not it, they're looking to stop people from handing water out to people in line within 150 feet of polling center, but it's a shenanigans law that's nearly impossible to accurately enforce as it includes the wording "In Line" and "150 feet" so which one supersedes the other, if someone is in line 500 feet from the poll are they still excluded because they're in line?