Page 101 of 178 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3559

Thread: Race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Lots of white people still play basketball.

Why do they do that?

Yes, it’s a stupid comparison but it actually speaks to a underlying point.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Want a dramatic approach to encourage black kids to enter profressions where they have low representations?

Stop telling them they have little to no shot because of racism.
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-22-2021)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    The issue is as I described above. If the only reason women don't want to go into neurosurgery is that it's dominated by white men and they see a lack of opportunity for mentorship and growth, then shouldn't we fix that? Or should we just decide that there are some industries that should be dominated by white guys forever because we can't be bothered to fix it?

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to admit that certain races are better than others at certain things and it all balances out at the end of the day? Life isn’t supposed to be fair and equal so why try to make it so?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Want a dramatic approach to encourage black kids to enter profressions where they have low representations?

Stop telling them they have little to no shot because of racism.

Funny how you’ll never hear any Asians Americans mention how unfair this country is.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Why? What is the benefit in not choosing the best applicant for any position? Why would you impose race quotas on newsroom jobs but not on the MLB draft, or NBA draft? Why is it important to have a certain percentage of black women in boardrooms but not in the sanitation industry?
    I'm not sure the sports analogy is apt. With years of performance to analyze by the time athletes are drafted, very easy to determine if an athlete is bigger, faster, stronger, etc.- very few other industries operate this way. Job interviews- in the vast majority of industries- are significantly more subjective than talent evaluations in sports are. There is much more room for bias and error. In the case of NBA vs. MLB, I have to imagine that the pipeline of white American high school basketball players is similar to (or larger than) the pipeline of black American basketball players. The black athletes tend to be more talented, and they move up in the sport. In MLB, the pipeline of white American baseball players dramatically outpaces the pipeline of black American baseball players, and that has nothing to do with the ability to throw hard or hit a ball far.

But, if you want me to appeal to your more rational side, how about because there is significant research to demonstrate that having a diverse team leads to better economic outcomes for a business?

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-in...usion-matters#
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sianbei...tter-outcomes/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriklar...aking-at-work/
    https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-diverse-teams-are-smarter
    https://hbr.org/2016/09/diverse-team...perform-better

Given that, it makes sense for race to be a factor in hiring decisions to some extent. No one is suggesting that companies should hire a completely unqualified minority candidate over a white candidate, but it makes a great case for ensuring you have a diverse pipeline and considering diversity when you're making a decision on the margins. And yes, this means representative diversity of all types, not just white vs. black.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I don’t understand why it’s so hard to admit that certain races are better than others at certain things and it all balances out at the end of the day? Life isn’t supposed to be fair and equal so why try to make it so?
    Can you give me a breakdown of what unique talents white people vs. black people vs. asian people bring to the table? Is the suggestion that all races have different physical and mental abilities?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Funny how you’ll never hear any Asians Americans mention how unfair this country is.
    Can you walk me through this like I'm five? Because the way it reads is that you believe African Americans and Asian Americans have been treated the same throughout history, and because Asian Americans have excelled in some cases, racism doesn't exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Can you give me a breakdown of what unique talents white people vs. black people vs. asian people bring to the table? Is the suggestion that all races have different physical and mental abilities?
    Black men for sure have more athletic/stronger physical features on average than white men do.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not sure the sports analogy is apt. With years of performance to analyze by the time athletes are drafted, very easy to determine if an athlete is bigger, faster, stronger, etc.- very few other industries operate this way. Job interviews- in the vast majority of industries- are significantly more subjective than talent evaluations in sports are. There is much more room for bias and error. In the case of NBA vs. MLB, I have to imagine that the pipeline of white American high school basketball players is similar to (or larger than) the pipeline of black American basketball players. The black athletes tend to be more talented, and they move up in the sport. In MLB, the pipeline of white American baseball players dramatically outpaces the pipeline of black American baseball players, and that has nothing to do with the ability to throw hard or hit a ball far.

But, if you want me to appeal to your more rational side, how about because there is significant research to demonstrate that having a diverse team leads to better economic outcomes for a business?

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-in...usion-matters#
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sianbei...tter-outcomes/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriklar...aking-at-work/
    https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-diverse-teams-are-smarter
    https://hbr.org/2016/09/diverse-team...perform-better

Given that, it makes sense for race to be a factor in hiring decisions to some extent. No one is suggesting that companies should hire a completely unqualified minority candidate over a white candidate, but it makes a great case for ensuring you have a diverse pipeline and considering diversity when you're making a decision on the margins. And yes, this means representative diversity of all types, not just white vs. black.
    Those studies are anything but conclusive.

Not sure how many you skimmed through but massive generalities and glosses over the fact that profits have grown for the largest companies die to globalization. Those companies tend to be “woke” and will make token hires. Almost 99% of the people that work there are irrelevant for the profit growth.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I know this is a crazy sensitive topic but IQ may play a huge role in opportunities as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...h=ea7fdca44909

I just like to push IQ personally since I belong to the smartest group of people on the planet!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Black men for sure have more athletic/stronger physical features on average than white men do.
    Perfect. So this explains the NBA/NFL discrepancies. What biological difference explains the Fortune 500 c suite discrepency?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I’d say your daughter needs to sack up and toughen up. Great people are forged in the fire of overcoming obstacles regardless of how childish they are.

This is not the fifties anymore. Men abuse men in the office as well.
    naw...that management style needs to go the way of the dinosaur...it is awful for the organization and the people in it...and it doesn't produce good results
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    naw...that management style needs to go the way of the dinosaur...it is awful for the organization and the people in it...and it doesn't produce good results
    And those companies are destined to fail.

To throw your hands up and not even try is much worse.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The issue is as I described above. If the only reason women don't want to go into neurosurgery is that it's dominated by white men and they see a lack of opportunity for mentorship and growth, then shouldn't we fix that? Or should we just decide that there are some industries that should be dominated by white guys forever because we can't be bothered to fix it?
    kind of like police in big cities...dominated specifically by the irish for many generations...a system that left undisturbed would perpetuate itself even as the demographics of the cities changed dramatically

last two NY City police chiefs: James P O'Neill and Dermot Shea
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I am also wondering why there isn't a massive push for representative workforce in the sanitation department

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Perfect. So this explains the NBA/NFL discrepancies. What biological difference explains the Fortune 500 c suite discrepency?
    Because we are telling black kids that the white man is evil.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I am also wondering why there isn't a massive push for representative workforce in the sanitation department
    I would imagine because there aren't particularly high barriers to accessing a job in sanitation where the majority of workers have a high school degree and don't need to know someone to get a job.

I know this was a stupid straw man argument that you didn't mean seriously, but I'm obliged to tell you that +/- about two percentage points per race, sanitation workers in America are almost perfectly representative of races in America. I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Yes. You are a firm believer in science right?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Can you walk me through this like I'm five? Because the way it reads is that you believe African Americans and Asian Americans have been treated the same throughout history, and because Asian Americans have excelled in some cases, racism doesn't exist.
    No I’m saying the Asian culture preaches education, family structure and working hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No I’m saying the Asian culture preaches education, family structure and working hard.
    Ding ding ding ding ding

We have ourselves a winner!
    Natural Immunity Croc