Page 20 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I hope Mississippians are bold in the design of their new flag. Find something truly affirmative of who they are and who they aspire to be.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-02-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    why cant all state flags be like New Mexico ?

and have mottoes like
    "Land of Enchantment"
    that's a good one

I'm partial to this one myself

"I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You are totally blind. That's obvious.

You are making the exact same argument that BLM is making, except in their cases, actual lives are being lost through the overzealous sledgehammer of police action. Black people are assumed to be guilty. They are taken down and choked because they are black. It's violent overreach by the police. You ignore this, and argue how sad a ride at Disneyworld is getting a makeover. Your lack of self-awareness is sad.
    Dude. Your logic is so bizarre here that I'm genuinely concerned for your health.

I was talking about culture. Right now there's a big problem with innocuous or even positive things getting tossed out because of some connection (or perceived connection) to something problematic. I did not make ANY comment about BLM or police brutality. It's completely possible to discuss what correct reactions to parts of modern culture should be without touching on anything to do with BLM.

For the record, and if you go back and look at some of my posts you'll see, I'm very strongly against police using excessive force or race playing a role in police actions. I've spoken at length about how the militarization of police forces and the war on crime rhetoric has had an extremely negative effect on policing. How people who should be out there serving and protecting their communities are now seeing themselves as involved in a war against their communities.

I've advocated for better research and data into the causes of the racial disparity in police use of deadly force (particularly against unarmed individuals). It's a complex problem that cannot be fixed until we know where the problem is. Is it a problem with police employing racial stereotypes in their reactions to situations? Is it a product of a disparity in encounter rates (high crime areas are policed more heavily, these areas also tend to have larger minority presences)? Is it more related to cycles of poverty that many minorities find themselves trapped in?

The fact that many police departments play with statistics or refuse to release them is unacceptable as it makes the problem impossible to identify and impossible to fix.

In your rants against me you have engaged in one of the worst parts of modern culture. You have taken one data point, without context, and believed you could extrapolate the entirety of who I am from it. I dispute tossing out Brer Rabbit so clearly I'm blinded by white privilege in all areas of my life and should be written off as at best out of touch and at worst racist.

So if you want to actually have productive conversations with people and change minds, I advise you hit the brakes on making assumptions about people based on insufficient data.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    I dont know why Chicago keep voting for Republicans en masse.

They should try Dems for once

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Why do Jews vote democrat?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Again, being against the actions of Far Right Wing Israeli Government doesn't make you an anti-semite.

You can believe that both Palestinians and Israelis have a right to exist and not be anti-semitic.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm utterly baffled by what you're talking about. I can't even fathom how you got there. I was talking about Splash Mountain and Disney animated movies and you jump to murder. What the hell?

Brer Rabbit stories are good stories and extremely important parts of American folklore. The animated portions of Song of the South are good depictions of the stories. My position is that something like the Brer Rabbit stories and the animation of them shouldn't be tossed out because of its association with the more problematic portions of Song of the South. If anything Disney should go out and animate more Brer Rabbit tales and other folk tales told by slaves and release them so that new generations of children can see them.

How in the name of all that is holy is advocating for the preservation and continued spread of important American folklore my "white privilege"? You draw that weapon too eagerly and destroy your credibility as a result. There's another folk tale about a boy and a wolf you might want to brush up on.
    I love the Brer Rabbit Stories.i live a half hour from Eatonton and when I was a child I took field trips to the Uncle Remus museum and knew all the stories. I’m also a long time Disney pass holder and was there with my family in the late 80s when it first opened I remember a three hour line the first time I rode it. God only knows how many times I’ve ridden it since. Honestly this makes me angry. Most of the people complaining probably hadn’t been there. People just look for things to complain about.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Brer Rabbit stories are good stories and extremely important parts of American folklore. The animated portions of Song of the South are good depictions of the stories. My position is that something like the Brer Rabbit stories and the animation of them shouldn't be tossed out because of its association with the more problematic portions of Song of the South. If anything Disney should go out and animate more Brer Rabbit tales and other folk tales told by slaves and release them so that new generations of children can see them.
    This is not a bad idea. Have it written and directed by black people. Let them stake a claim on it and take their history back into themselves and igve it a modern twist.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Again, being against the actions of Far Right Wing Israeli Government doesn't make you an anti-semite.

You can believe that both Palestinians and Israelis have a right to exist and not be anti-semitic.
    Mmhmm

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

it is beyond stupid that this has to be said to him every single time he posts something like that

he stands up for the unite the right rally, like the president did, who were chanting "Jews will not replace us!"
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Mmhmm

yep

that both sides have people that don't want a 2 state solution is 100% the biggest issue

glad you have finally figured this out
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    We are literally teaching our children to think this way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " our children "
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Dude. Your logic is so bizarre here that I'm genuinely concerned for your health.

I was talking about culture. Right now there's a big problem with innocuous or even positive things getting tossed out because of some connection (or perceived connection) to something problematic. I did not make ANY comment about BLM or police brutality. It's completely possible to discuss what correct reactions to parts of modern culture should be without touching on anything to do with BLM.

For the record, and if you go back and look at some of my posts you'll see, I'm very strongly against police using excessive force or race playing a role in police actions. I've spoken at length about how the militarization of police forces and the war on crime rhetoric has had an extremely negative effect on policing. How people who should be out there serving and protecting their communities are now seeing themselves as involved in a war against their communities.

I've advocated for better research and data into the causes of the racial disparity in police use of deadly force (particularly against unarmed individuals). It's a complex problem that cannot be fixed until we know where the problem is. Is it a problem with police employing racial stereotypes in their reactions to situations? Is it a product of a disparity in encounter rates (high crime areas are policed more heavily, these areas also tend to have larger minority presences)? Is it more related to cycles of poverty that many minorities find themselves trapped in?

The fact that many police departments play with statistics or refuse to release them is unacceptable as it makes the problem impossible to identify and impossible to fix.

In your rants against me you have engaged in one of the worst parts of modern culture. You have taken one data point, without context, and believed you could extrapolate the entirety of who I am from it. I dispute tossing out Brer Rabbit so clearly I'm blinded by white privilege in all areas of my life and should be written off as at best out of touch and at worst racist.

So if you want to actually have productive conversations with people and change minds, I advise you hit the brakes on making assumptions about people based on insufficient data.
    My health is good, thx. I hope you're doing well, too.

It was very clear that you were talking about culture. Whining about Brer Rabbit amid this watershed racial reckoning moment (though I'm not convinced yet) shows a damning level of tone-deafness that is all too common and one that I've frankly had enough of. Splash Mountain is having a makeover! Boo hoo. It's not a big problem, as you say. This isn't even the end of Brer Rabbit, though I find it hard to believe that anyone gives a hoot about the stories of our furry friend. I think you're just arguing against the left, as usual.

I've been reading and enjoying your posts for more than 10 years, since long before you learned to remain calm and dress up your views in lawyerese. FWIW, you're every bit as full of $hit now as you were 10 years ago. But that's cool. Some things are just baked in.

I agree with you that police departments should have to keep and make available ALL relevant statistics on how they conduct their jobs, not just on things relating to race. There should be a national standard that police unions have to adhere to whether they like it or not. I think police should be subject to even stricter rules of conduct than regular citizens and when they egregiously overstep or become corrupt, they should be severely punished.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    " our children "
    Seek help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Seek help
    Beyond help
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    My health is good, thx. I hope you're doing well, too.

It was very clear that you were talking about culture. Whining about Brer Rabbit amid this watershed racial reckoning moment (though I'm not convinced yet) shows a damning level of tone-deafness that is all too common and one that I've frankly had enough of. Splash Mountain is having a makeover! Boo hoo. It's not a big problem, as you say. This isn't even the end of Brer Rabbit, though I find it hard to believe that anyone gives a hoot about the stories of our furry friend. I think you're just arguing against the left, as usual.

I've been reading and enjoying your posts for more than 10 years, since long before you learned to remain calm and dress up your views in lawyerese. FWIW, you're every bit as full of $hit now as you were 10 years ago. But that's cool. Some things are just baked in.

I agree with you that police departments should have to keep and make available ALL relevant statistics on how they conduct their jobs, not just on things relating to race. There should be a national standard that police unions have to adhere to whether they like it or not. I think police should be subject to even stricter rules of conduct than regular citizens and when they egregiously overstep or become corrupt, they should be severely punished.

I could just as easily argue that people getting upset over Splash Mountain's Song of the South roots at this, as you said, watershed moment, is even more silly. I'm also not convinced it's a true watershed moment as I see so much energy being spent on absolutely absurd things like syrup bottles and animatronic rabbits. Those sort of "victories" are easily achieved and ultimately meaningless.

There's an analogy I've used before and find it appropriate here. Suppose you're walking down the street at light and see someone searching the ground under a street light. You ask them "what are you looking for?" They respond "My car keys." You then ask "Did you drop them here?" They respond "No, I dropped them on the other side of the street." You ask "Why are you looking here then." They respond "The light's better".

This example demonstrates people's natural tendency to try to do the easy thing with low payoffs rather than the hard thing with serious returns. Combating racism is difficult. Changing peoples minds is difficult. Pressuring a corporation to make a symbolic change? That's easy. It doesn't actually help fight racism but it sure is easy.

So people get their symbolic victories, it mollifies them, and the true evil remains.

As for Brer Rabbit, my opposition to Brer Rabbit being tossed aside isn't tone deaf at all. BLM is trying to be a movement and trying not to become a mob. When a movement becomes a mob the movement has lost. A movement needs direction and intelligent hands at the wheel. Mobs descend to the lowest common denominator. Movements accomplish goals, mobs simply sow destruction.

A movement would address the issue of Brer Rabbit intelligently (if it engaged the issue at all). It would attempt to strip away the problematic bits, retake ownership of the stories, and spread them for new generations to hear. A mob would see the problematic parts and scream for the destruction of everything associated.

Is Splash Mountain trivial? Of course it is. It being changed does nothing but make a nostalgic part of me a little sad. However it's a great example of the problem when mob mentality starts to hijack a movement.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-02-2020)