Page 24 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Race

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    1 is caused by democrat regulations. Are they causing systemic racism? Do you have studies to show that its harder for black to acquire a gun in an inner city as opposed to a white that isn't ec9nomically driven?

What system is causing 2? Isn't that just normal human behavior? I fail to see how any 'system' is imposing where people choose to live again outside normal economic restrictions.

Is level of addiction tbe driver of laws? Or is it overal danger to the body and others? Laws are always harder on the poor because they cant afford to defend themselves.

I'm not seeing a 'system' causing what you are stating as racism here. Its economically driven and a result of laws that are applied evenly based on race.
    Not entirely. Just because a law is passed in a blue state doesn't mean it's passed by democrats who're currently serving, or by people who had the facts presented before them. And mainly it comes from the fact that our country as a whole doesn't have a decent gun law.

Opportunity causes number 2. Do you understand gentrification? Taking parts of the city and driving up rent so white people move in and black people move out. Instead of creating opportunities, the US is king of playing to the dollar. Not of taking care of the most vulnerable people.

No, it's media sensationalism that drives the laws. The reason that crack cocaine carries harsher laws than powdered cocaine is the media painted picture, of the crack epidemic of inner cities gangs killing each other. Meanwhile with powder coke it's viewed as a party drug for the elite, it's romanticized.

You realize that capitalism in our country is literally racist at its founding. It's right there in the constitution. Who could vote originally? White land owning men. If you look at the census of 1790, there were 807K free white men over 16, there were basically 3.9M people in the US total. Sure some couldn't vote because of they were under 18. If you look at the election of 1796, 60 people voted. Assuming the population is pretty standard you're looking at about 1.5% of the population who voted in the election. Compare that to about 40% who voted in 2016. And keep in mind many of those people didn't have voting rights until the last century. You cannot say that something economically driven are applied evenly based on race when for 231 years of our Constitution, 76 of those years or about a 1/3 of our country's existence black people were almost totally enslaved. Given no opportunities to make a living for themselves. That's ignoring other horrible tragedies like Tulsa where Black Wall Street where a white mob caused millions in damages to the black community there not including the 10K left homeless. You'd think someone would have been arrested? But nope, not a single person was arrested for raising a whole neighborhood.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    ....?

No one has addressed this at all. I guess its complex and difficult to understand, but were those lives not as important or perhaps even more so than George Floyd? Is that too simple a view? Can we not scapegoat an officer for it so its not actionable? No protests?

Is it viewed as excusable because of the current climate? I can't figure it out.
    Ivermectin Man

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    ....?

No one has addressed this at all. I guess its complex and difficult to understand, but were those lives not as important or perhaps even more so than George Floyd? Is that too simple a view? Can we not scapegoat an officer for it so its not actionable? No protests?

Is it viewed as excusable because of the current climate? I can't figure it out.
    Both kinds of death are tragic. And we should seek out policies to reduce them. To care about one does not diminish our ability to care about the other.

There is a difference from a public policy perspective. Having to do with the fact that the police are on the public payroll. What we get or don't get out of our tax dollars is something about which we should all have a sense of responsibility.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (07-07-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    ....?

i'm down for some gun control if that's what you and others are proposing by showing that this country is violent as hell and it's too easy to get your hands on a gun
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i'm down for some gun control if that's what you and others are proposing by showing that this country is violent as hell and it's too easy to get your hands on a gun
    Why do people turn to guns so quickly is a much larger issue to me. I don't mind a reasonable idea to "controlling" guns, but the fact you look at the tool instead of the violent nature of the people in these cases feels.... purposefully obtuse.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Both kinds of death are tragic. And we should seek out policies to reduce them. To care about one does not diminish our ability to care about the other.

There is a difference from a public policy perspective. Having to do with the fact that the police are on the public payroll. What we get or don't get out of our tax dollars is something about which we should all have a sense of responsibility.
    It feels like there is more than a difference from just public policy. Those needless deaths cost us plenty of money from the public payroll even still.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It feels like there is more than a difference from just public policy. Those needless deaths cost us plenty of money from the public payroll even still.
    There are lots of differences. But the problem of black on black violence is in some ways a more complicated problem with roots in culture, poverty, disparities in economic and educational opportunities, the easy availability of firearms. I'm all for using public policy to address it. But there is no easy to identify lever for fixing it. It has many partial solutions that require persistence over a long period of time.

By the way blacks are not the only group with their unique set of pathologies. Not so long ago there was a lot of attention being given to the rise in "deaths of despair" and falling life expectancy among working class whites. This too has deep complicated roots having to do with culture, poverty, the healthcare system, economic opportunity, social and technological change.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-07-2020 at 02:18 PM.

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Why do people turn to guns so quickly is a much larger issue to me. I don't mind a reasonable idea to "controlling" guns, but the fact you look at the tool instead of the violent nature of the people in these cases feels.... purposefully obtuse.
    your referencing a gun as a tool brings this to mind

" to a carpenter every problem is solved by a bigger hammer"

It is much harder and more personal attacking someone with your hands or a knife than standing a distance and simply pulling a trigger
    Kinda makes it like someone else is doing it
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    your referencing a gun as a tool brings this to mind

" to a carpenter every problem is solved by a bigger hammer"

It is much harder and more personal attacking someone with your hands or a knife than standing a distance and simply pulling a trigger
    Kinda makes it like someone else is doing it
    no one has ever said that. especially a carpenter...

What makes people that violent and make that decision ?

I doubt very much if it feels like someone else is doing it either. A gun going off is a powerful thing.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am a carpenter by trade so yeah ... that is a saying
    Bird in the hand is better --- is a saying too, but we seldom hear that one either

people have always been and always will be violent --- "Cain slew Abel " the book says --- jealousy ?
    What is at issue is the ready availability of weapons that so efficiently kill

Yeah I see your point but it isnt as visceral as say strangulation or knifing or long term poisoning etc
    this is an odd conversation

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i think that's an issue as well

but one can possibly bring change much faster to a problem

both should be done though
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    For a few moments after the camera began recording, the white man smirked silently in his seat at an upscale California restaurant. Then, he gave the family at the next table the middle finger and unleashed an anti-Asian tirade.

“Trump’s going to f--- you,” he said, adding that the family “need to leave” and calling one of them an “Asian piece of s---.”

After the video went viral on Tuesday, multiple journalists identified the man as Michael Lofthouse, CEO of Solid8, a cloud computing firm based in San Francisco. By the day’s end, Lofthouse had deleted all his social media accounts and issued an apology to a local TV station.

“My behavior in the video is appalling,” he told San Francisco’s KGO-TV in a statement. “This was clearly a moment where I lost control and made incredibly hurtful and divisive comments.”

But members of the family he targeted say his slurs speak louder than his mea culpa.

“He’s just saving face. I think he really meant what he said and what he did,” Raymond Orosa, who was celebrating a relative’s birthday at the restaurant, told KGO-TV. “I don’t believe his words because his actions speak louder than the words he’s saying.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ideo-tech-ceo/

pathetic...I guess the Wuhan virus infected his brain

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oversial-posts

Former NBA player Stephen Jackson defended DeSean Jackson on Tuesday night, saying the Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver was "speaking the truth" with his controversial social media posts, including an anti-Semitic message that he attributed to Adolf Hitler.

The Eagles called DeSean Jackson's posts "offensive, harmful and absolutely appalling," and the wide receiver later issued two separate statements of apology with "a promise to do better."

"So I just read a statement that the Philadelphia Eagles posted regarding DeSean Jackson's comments. He was trying to educate himself, educate people, and he's speaking the truth. Right? He's speaking the truth. You know he don't hate nobody, but he's speaking the truth of the facts that he knows and trying to educate others," Stephen Jackson said in a video posted on Instagram.

-------------------

Sad that one of the prominent BLM leaders (among athletes, anyway) is defending this garbage...it's this kind of nonsense that turns people off from the movement.
    Last edited by acesfull86; 07-08-2020 at 12:52 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    This ends poorly.
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    As usual...antisemitism is not that big of a deal.
    You do know that the Eagles GM and Owner are both Jewish right?

Don't get me wrong, Jackson is a damned moron. But I would think the Eagles would know better how to handle anti-semitism.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You do know that the Eagles GM and Owner are both Jewish right?

Don't get me wrong, Jackson is a damned moron. But I would think the Eagles would know better how to handle anti-semitism.
    Why do you think Drew Brees got far more backlash for his standing for the anthem post?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

“American Gothic,” Washington, D.C., 1942. Gordon Parks, Courtesy of the Gordon Parks Foundation

Gordon Parks met Ella Watson in 1942, when he had a Rosenwald fellowship with the Farm Security Administration in Washington, D.C. She was a cleaning woman in the offices there, and he went on to photograph her at work, at home with her family, in her neighborhood, and at St. Martin’s Spiritual Church.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-09-2020)