Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Freeman tests positive

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yeah, somewhere along the way, "flatten the curve" has somehow morphed into "eliminate the curve".

Everyone is going to catch this. We aren't going to hide in our homes until it goes away. Viruses don't just blow over like a tornado. One infection will start the outbreak all over again, regardless of how long we hide out.

The idea was to stop the initial surge from overwhelming hospitals. Instead of letting everyone get infected in 6 months, we wanted it to take 18 months so hospitals could handle the load.

We have done that.
    Correct. Play ball!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Yeah, somewhere along the way, "flatten the curve" has somehow morphed into "eliminate the curve".

Everyone is going to catch this. We aren't going to hide in our homes until it goes away. Viruses don't just blow over like a tornado. One infection will start the outbreak all over again, regardless of how long we hide out.

The idea was to stop the initial surge from overwhelming hospitals. Instead of letting everyone get infected in 6 months, we wanted it to take 18 months so hospitals could handle the load.

We have done that.
    You wanna kill grandma... or make her really sick... or even if she doesn't get sick, she'll have long term issues... or something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You wanna kill grandma... or make her really sick... or even if she doesn't get sick, she'll have long term issues... or something
    How much is Grandma worth? She got you in her will?

I'm kidding.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

We have done that.
    That's largely been my thought process as well. The narrative has changed for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That's largely been my thought process as well. The narrative has changed for some reason.
    Some reason....
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This reaction (I know you made in jest), is part of the problem. All of a sudden, we can't even have the discussion about the best way to protect the vulnerable populations.

Is it really best to have everyone wear masks to prevent infecting folks likely to die from it? Or is it smarter to isolate the vulnerable, and let everyone else go about their business?

Is it simply impossible to isolate these people because they interact with too many people, even in a state of isolation?

I don't know the answers, but we aren't even having the discussion. It's nothing but folks disagreeing with whatever the "other side" says, and it starts at the very top where the man supposed to lead has the worst inferiority complex imaginable. He will be an object of study in psych books for the next 100 years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-08-2020 at 02:59 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2020), Runnin (07-08-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    This reaction (I know you made in jest), is part of the problem. All of a sudden, we can't even have the discussion about the best way to protect the vulnerable populations.

Is it really best to have everyone wear masks to prevent infecting folks likely to die from it? Or is it smarter to isolate the vulnerable, and let everyone else go about their business?

Is it simply impossible to isolate these people because they interact with too many people, even in a state of isolation?

I don't know the answers, but we aren't even having the discussion. It's nothing but folks disagreeing with whatever the "other side" says, and it starts at the very top where the man supposed to lead has the worst inferiority complex imaginable. He will be an object of study in psych books for the next 100 years.
    I don't see why we can't do both. Isolate the vulnerable when possible and wear masks while in public. No need to shut things down. It really shouldn't be this hard.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2020), Runnin (07-08-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I don't see why we can't do both. Isolate the vulnerable when possible and wear masks while in public. No need to shut things down. It really shouldn't be this hard.
    No, but when the morons of this country are rebelling against knowledge itself with the backing of the executive branch, it is impossible to make anything reasonable happen.

Perhaps I've just been paying more attention lately, but I've never seen more stupid people who think they know more about topics than subject matter experts. It is truly alarming to see this attitude where folks believe their ignorant opinions on things carry as much weight as expert opinions. When the experts end up being wrong in any way, they use that as proof that they aren't experts, and the ignorant opinions are somehow correct because of it. When the ignorant opinions are proven incorrect, the discussion always turns to logical fallacies, usually false equivalencies, and never EVER acknowledged as wrong.

I know a guy who stocks shelves at Costco tell me he doesn't think masks prevent the spread of disease. This is despite the fact medical personnel have been using them for decades upon decades to do exactly that. He truly believes he is knowledgeable on the subject...and doctors don't know anything. He saw a video somewhere that for some reason carries more weight in his mind than all medical experts on the planet. It is baffling.

You can go over the the locker room board and find tehteh make post after post touting the most recent right-wing pseudo-science he has found. When it is proven wrong literally days later, he just ignores it and moves onto the next silly bit of "data" he found somewhere. He is literally exactly the same ignoramus in real life as he is about baseball related topics, and really thinks he is an expert. He is the only person capable of understanding what's really going on.

I don't get it....it's so odd.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-08-2020 at 03:29 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-08-2020), jpx7 (07-09-2020), Runnin (07-08-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    No, but when the morons of this country are rebelling against knowledge itself with the backing of the executive branch, it is impossible to make anything reasonable happen.

Perhaps I've just been paying more attention lately, but I've never seen more stupid people who think they know more about topics than subject matter experts. It is truly alarming to see this attitude where folks believe their ignorant opinions on things carry as much weight as experts.

I know a guy who stocks shelves at Costco tell me he doesn't think masks prevent the spread of disease. This is despite the fact medical personnel have been using them for decades upon decades to do exactly that. He truly believes he is knowledgeable on the subject...and doctors don't know anything. He saw a video somewhere that for some reason carries more weight in his mind than all medical experts on the planet. It is baffling.

You can go over the the locker room board and find tehteh make post after post touting the most recent right-wing pseudo-science he has found. When it is proven wrong literally days later, he just ignores it and moves onto the next silly bit of "data" he found somewhere. He is literally exactly the same ignoramus in real life as he is about baseball related topics, and really thinks he is an expert.

Tom Nichols wrote a book about this.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Perhaps I've just been paying more attention lately, but I've never seen more stupid people who think they know more about topics than subject matter experts. It is truly alarming to see this attitude where folks believe their ignorant opinions on things carry as much weight as expert opinions. When the experts end up being wrong in any way, they use that as proof that they aren't experts, and the ignorant opinions are somehow correct because of it. When the ignorant opinions are proven incorrect, the discussion always turns to logical fallacies, usually false equivalencies, and never EVER acknowledged as wrong.

You can go over the the locker room board and find tehteh make post after post touting the most recent right-wing pseudo-science he has found. When it is proven wrong literally days later, he just ignores it and moves onto the next silly bit of "data" he found somewhere. He is literally exactly the same ignoramus in real life as he is about baseball related topics, and really thinks he is an expert. He is the only person capable of understanding what's really going on.

Things have been this way around here for decades (not just the last three years) unfortunately. Lots of folks are just more convinced they know more than intelligent people because their mouthpiece is louder and finally lives on Pennsylvania Avenue.

The sad thing is that it's neither baffling or odd to many of us - it's simply "the south".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Sighhhhhhh
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    sounds like he is experiencing it the same way i did

total weakness that kicks your ass. tough to stay standing etc

it sucked
    Glad you’re better
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-09-2020), jpx7 (07-09-2020), Runnin (07-12-2020), Tapate50 (07-09-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Things have been this way around here for decades (not just the last three years) unfortunately. Lots of folks are just more convinced they know more than intelligent people because their mouthpiece is louder and finally lives on Pennsylvania Avenue.
    I think the difference is in how much more blunt and brazen they are about it now.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-09-2020), jpx7 (07-09-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I think the difference is in how much more blunt and brazen they are about it now.
    This is one of the worst things that social media has brought us. Every idiot with an opinion can now share it with the masses.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-09-2020), clvclv (07-09-2020), CrimsonCowboy (07-09-2020), Horsehide Harry (07-08-2020), salmagundy (07-09-2020), Tapate50 (07-09-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This is one of the worst things that social media has brought us. Every idiot with an opinion can now share it with the masses.
    And feels it's their RESPONSIBILITY to make *amn sure everyone hears it as many times as possible.

I know he's pretty polarizing for a lot of people, but will give Bill Maher a little credit. He correctly predicted this as far back as the 2016 campaign - going so far as to say that during a Trump reign we'd reach the point where the knowledgeable would somehow be expected to apologize for possessing knowledge. "Shut up you pretentious Ivy Leaguers, what could you possibly know? I took Annie Savoy's English Lit class at Alamance Junior College for two weeks."

I'm quite sure this situation wasn't exactly what he had in mind when he said that, but it appears we've reached that point nevertheless.

The scariest part about all this is that these people actually believe that we can somehow back away from every commitment we've made in today's much more globalized world and somehow stand on our own when everyone is so dependent on technological advancements - I've heard "we don't need to deal with the Chinese/Japanese/Middle East/insert your favorite" so many times I'm almost numb to it and unwilling to try to calmly explain that's simply not the case. There are people around here (granted, I live in BFE) that actually believe that if everybody would just get out of his way that Trump could snap his fingers and the "good old days" would mysteriously appear again. Don't worry about the fact that he's provided nothing resembling a plan to make that happen, just "trust me".
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-09-2020 at 05:20 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    As is the case with most things in life it’s a double edged sword.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-12-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And feels it's their RESPONSIBILITY to make *amn sure everyone hears it as many times as possible.

I know he's pretty polarizing for a lot of people, but will give Bill Maher a little credit. He correctly predicted this as far back as the 2016 campaign - going so far as to say that during a Trump reign we'd reach the point where the knowledgeable would somehow be expected to apologize for possessing knowledge. "Shut up you pretentious Ivy Leaguers, what could you possibly know? I took Annie Savoy's English Lit class at Alamance Junior College for two weeks."

I'm quite sure this situation wasn't exactly what he had in mind when he said that, but it appears we've reached that point nevertheless.

The scariest part about all this is that these people actually believe that we can somehow back away from every commitment we've made in today's much more globalized world and somehow stand on our own when everyone is so dependent on technological advancements - I've heard "we don't need to deal with the Chinese/Japanese/Middle East/insert your favorite" so many times I'm almost numb to it and unwilling to try to calmly explain that's simply not the case. There are people around here (granted, I live in BFE) that actually believe that if everybody would just get out of his way that Trump could snap his fingers and the "good old days" would mysteriously appear again. Don't worry about the fact that he's provided nothing resembling a plan to make that happen, just "trust me".
    Whats really amusing is to willfully ignore all the things the experts have gotten wrong the past few decades. But we should still listen without question.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

We have done that.
    This is exactly correct. The idea is to reopen business as much as possible to turn the economy around while the virus makes its way slowly or moderately through the population, particularly those who are at the least amount of risk. Generally speaking, 20-40 year old athletes are among those at the least amount of risk outside of those aged 1-19. Those 60ish and above should isolate as much as possible, and yes that includes coaches.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Lets get this thread back on topic guys. Don't want to close another.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Lets get this thread back on topic guys. Don't want to close another.
    Here you go

Someone said they hoped Ball would be added to 60 man roster. He has according to MLBTR

The Braves have added first base prospect Bryce Ball to their 60-man player pool, per a club announcement. David Lee of bravesprospects.com first reported the news.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2020), Tapate50 (07-09-2020)