Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Freeman tests positive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    It hasn't even been a week yet and already it's spreading within "the bubble". Your comments would make sense if this wasn't a highly contagious virus. If in another week no one else has tested positive that would be great, and probably a miracle.
    I said in the post you quoted that many more players are going to test positive. I'm assuming it will spread in a week, but probably to a lesser degree than it would if they were outside the bubble. But the whole idea of playing is that young in shape people have virtually zero risk from the virus. With that in mind, MLB should put nearly all of their efforts in protecting the coaches. I'm a bit concerned that the coaches seem to be interacting with the low risk players more than I'd like to see.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I said in the post you quoted that many more players are going to test positive. I'm assuming it will spread in a week, but probably to a lesser degree than it would if they were outside the bubble. But the whole idea of playing is that young in shape people have virtually zero risk from the virus. With that in mind, MLB should put nearly all of their efforts in protecting the coaches. I'm a bit concerned that the coaches seem to be interacting with the low risk players more than I'd like to see.
    If they aren't trying to play baseball they should be at home with their families.

I think "virtually zero risk" is a weird term and not true. Do you mean virtually zero risk of dying themselves from the virus? That's not risk free. Do you think Freddie Freeman feels risk free?

How do you protect coaches and staff?

I'd like to applaud the effort to get a season in. Maybe something good will come from it. But personally, I could do without live baseball for a few more months until Covid is more under control.
    Last edited by Runnin; 07-08-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2020), jpx7 (07-06-2020), salmagundy (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    If they weren't trying to play baseball they should be at home with their families.

I think "virtually zero risk" is a weird term and not true. Do you mean virtually zero risk of dying themselves from the virus? That's not virtually risk free. Do you think Freddie Freeman feels virtually risk free?

I'd like to applaud the effort to get a season in. Maybe something good will come from it. But personally, I could do without live baseball for a few more months until Covid is more under control.
    Unfortunately it's not that simple. From a financial aspect they literally have to play. There are many players around the league who aren't millionaires who can't just go a year without getting paid. Some with team staff and personnel. Same with minor Leaguers. Not playing games also costs owners 10 of millions of dollars. What about stadium operations and mortgages?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So let those stupid people kill themselves off. Here in NYC I can tell you, people are not taking it serious enough. But the majority are distancing and wearing masks. Have been since March. The idiots will continue to infect each other.
    That's EXACTLY the problem - most of "those people" - the ones at the big beach parties, hanging out at campaign rallies, going out to the bars and restaurants, and not wearing masks - are the ones that are spreading it to people that are doing everything the scientists and doctors ask people to do. How do you think Freeman got it in the first place?

Read the tweet Chelsea put out - she said they "haven't been to the grocery store, haven't been to dinner once, haven't seen our friends and only allowed family at our house" and Freddie still got it.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-06-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If they weren't trying to play baseball they should be at home with their families.

I think "virtually zero risk" is a weird term and not true. Do you mean virtually zero risk of dying themselves from the virus? That's not virtually risk free. Do you think Freddie Freeman feels virtually risk free?

I appreciate the effort to try to bring some normalcy to the situation as much as anyone. Many of us miss baseball almost as much as the players, and watching games would be a wonderful escape right now. It's just not presently worth the risk. If a 60 game season cost us the opportunity to ever see Trout, Acuna, Freddie, Ozzie, or many others ever play again, would anyone really feel it was worth it?

We've already missed most of the season - this week would have been the All-Star break in any other year. Treat it like it was a strike year and get everybody back on the same page with the CBA mess so you can hit the ground running in February when the doctors and scientists have had enough time to get a better handle on things. Having a lockout next winter will make things much worse - couple that with having a ton of players get sick (or dying) when there's no need for them to and you're seriously playing with fire.

I'm dying to see games too (not just Braves games), just not at the expense of lives.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-06-2020), jpx7 (07-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That's EXACTLY the problem - most of "those people" - the ones at the big beach parties, hanging out at campaign rallies, going out to the bars and restaurants, and not wearing masks - are the ones that are spreading it to people that are doing everything the scientists and doctors ask people to do. How do you think Freeman got it in the first place?

Read the tweet Chelsea put out - she said they "haven't been to the grocery store, haven't been to dinner once, haven't seen our friends and only allowed family at our house" and Freddie still got it.
    Everyone is gonna get exposed to it.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    So if Freddie needs an amputation, will Coppy give him a replacement?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I agree. We need to stop these senseless protests where they are putting millions at risk by not following distancing guidelines and face masks. It’s a no-brainer as to how these cases increased in correlation with the riots and looters. The President should be under fire for not stopping these vandals with a swift iron fist.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield10 View Post
    I agree. We need to stop these senseless protests where they are putting millions at risk by not following distancing guidelines and face masks. It’s a no-brainer as to how these cases increased in correlation with the riots and looters. The President should be under fire for not stopping these vandals with a swift iron fist.
    OMG. Just facepalm to all of this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2020), Runnin (07-08-2020)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    I’ve already locked one thread. Please keep politics out of this thread. Let’s keep this about Freeman. The rest of the COVID can go in the off topic boards
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-08-2020), salmagundy (07-08-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    sounds like he is experiencing it the same way i did

total weakness that kicks your ass. tough to stay standing etc

it sucked
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2020), Runnin (07-08-2020)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    South Korea and the States of America got this virus at the same time

Korean baseball been playing for a while now and gonna get a full or near full season in

they (the country and league) over there took it serious and doing what is necessary as opposed to us
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    it's also funny that the people who want to yell "context!" are ignoring the deeper context that doesn't suit their narrative.
    of the top 5 states with case spikes, all 5 of them have seen significant hospitalization and death spikes.
    9 out of the top 10 have.
    mortality numbers in NJ and NY are falling a lot, flattening out the national numbers.
    where there are cases, there will be hospitalizations and deaths. period.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Plus to set exposure thing to the side for a minute, who wants to see a half-assed sixty game illegitimate season anyway? Stars are going to be sitting out and players will get sick because their immune system will be at risk because of fatigue of cramming 60 games into 66 days. The union should have held out just a couple more weeks and forced a complete closure of 2020.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 07-08-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Plus to set exposure thing to the side for a minute, who wants to see a half-assed sixty game illegitimate season anyway? Stars are going to be sitting out and players will get sick because their immune system will be at risk because of fatigue of cramming 60 games into 66 days. The union should have held out just a couple more weeks and forced a complete closure of 2020.
    Play ball!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It’s possible to hold multiple sentiments or ideas in solution.

For instance: I want to see some major-league baseball, in whatever form, this year. Yet, at the same time, I think trying to stage a season right now is not a very good idea, because of the risks and hurdles involved.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-08-2020), Skeeter31 (07-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It’s possible to hold multiple sentiments or ideas in solution.

For instance: I want to see some major-league baseball, in whatever form, this year. Yet, at the same time, I think trying to stage a season right now is not a very good idea, because of the risks and hurdles involved.
    No guarantee this thing is gone in spring 2021.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Only way it's gone is through herd immunity or a vaccine. Both seem unlikely within 7 months.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    It’s actually fairly unlikely but you deal with next year next year. MLB can take all the time it needs to make sure everyone is protected to the fullest extent possible. It can also be expected that there will be further advancements in treatment and testing by then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Everyone is gonna get exposed to it.
    Yeah, somewhere along the way, "flatten the curve" has somehow morphed into "eliminate the curve".

Everyone is going to catch this. We aren't going to hide in our homes until it goes away. Viruses don't just blow over like a tornado. One infection will start the outbreak all over again, regardless of how long we hide out.

The idea was to stop the initial surge from overwhelming hospitals. Instead of letting everyone get infected in 6 months, we wanted it to take 18 months so hospitals could handle the load.

We have done that.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

weso1 (07-09-2020)