Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeman tests positive

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Put Posey in same boat as Trout. 2 BIG names that might "opt out". Game won't be the same without a number of "super stars".
    Not to mention when some players get the virus as the season goes on. How will it be fair to teams when a superstar gets the virus? Especially with such a short season. If someone shows symptoms, they have to be symptom free for 72 hours before they can get retested, then ave to wait another 24 hours to get a 2nd negative. So players will miss at least a week, if not longer if they get the virus with symptoms. So we could lose someone like Acuna for 1/6 of our season. It’s fine if it’s a bench player, but not if it’s a cornerstone. Or what happens if it takes Freddie a while to get better? How is it fair for us to start the season without our best player?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    This virus can last months. It’s safe to say that with freeman experiencing the symptoms, rather than being asymptomatic, he could miss most of the season

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    This virus can last months. It’s safe to say that with freeman experiencing the symptoms, rather than being asymptomatic, he could miss most of the season
    Let's at least see where he is in a few weeks. But some players are ok after a week or so, some take longer.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That would be cool.

Of course I've got two nieces in college in Florida that have Cystic Fibrosis and I've got high blood pressure and a history of heart problems. How soon can I meet them in Atlanta for the first game with fans?
    I am overweight, which seemingly puts me at higher risk. I am not going to let it stop me living my life.

Everything in life has risks. Do you freak out every time you drive a car or fly in a plane?

There were only 254 deaths yesterday. We have become much better at treating this thing. Remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, and Dexamethasone all work to varying degrees. America has some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world.

You cannot crater the economy for this disease that has a infected mortality rate below 1%, of which the vast majority are very old, anyway. It's just bananas.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I would say the league is probably taking more precautions than players would ever take in normal life. So they are in fact actually safer than if they were at home. Most of the players that were not showing symptoms would likely never get tested and the ones that are positive did not get that way playing baseball. With the precautions taken, numbers are likely to go down...not up. It will be a greater controlled and tested environment.

Also, there are probably more players than not that actually want to play and are totally fine with the risk if it allows them to play baseball.

So, if players want to opt out for reasons ...that’s totally fine and understandable. I can promise you more players than not want to play and will do so gladly with the risk involved.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    I absolutely do. Point remains. It's very easy to tell people to lose money when it's not your money.

Also, it's "your"
    Look man I wasn’t trying to insult you or anything. The fact of the matter though is you probably don’t. The farther you are away from things the harder they are to perceive accurately. Just like when I look up into the night sky I couldn’t tell you which stars are smaller but closer to earth or which ones are huge but very far away.

It goes the other way too. I doubt you could tell the difference between a family that makes a dollar a week vs a family that makes 10 dollars a week. And they probably couldn’t tell the difference between a family that makes 10k a year and 100k a year.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I would say the league is probably taking more precautions than players would ever take in normal life. So they are in fact actually safer than if they were at home. Most of the players that were not showing symptoms would likely never get tested and the ones that are positive did not get that way playing baseball. With the precautions taken, numbers are likely to go down...not up. It will be a greater controlled and tested environment.

Also, there are probably more players than not that actually want to play and are totally fine with the risk if it allows them to play baseball.

So, if players want to opt out for reasons ...that’s totally fine and understandable. I can promise you more players than not want to play and will do so gladly with the risk involved.
    Players want to play, and they need the money. Most players are in good shape so it wont hurt them as much as a regular joe. They gotta play eventually, cant just sit at home for 2-3 years with no sports and hope it's gone.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Players want to play, and they need the money. Most players are in good shape so it wont hurt them as much as a regular joe. They gotta play eventually, cant just sit at home for 2-3 years with no sports and hope it's gone.
    This argument simply doesn't ring true with a whole lot of players. "Need" is a constantly moving target.

These people don't live hand-to-mouth like most of the rest of the world. Does anybody really believe that Freddie Freeman has been such a loose spender with his money that he's worried about paying his mortgage if he doesn't play this season?

It's not just the mega-stars either. Assuming the guys making the minimum didn't run out paying cash for houses, cars, or drugs, their level of "needing" to work this summer doesn't remotely approach what most of the rest of us are dealing with.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    I am overweight, which seemingly puts me at higher risk. I am not going to let it stop me living my life.

Everything in life has risks. Do you freak out every time you drive a car or fly in a plane?

There were only 254 deaths yesterday. We have become much better at treating this thing. Remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, and Dexamethasone all work to varying degrees. America has some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world.

You cannot crater the economy for this disease that has a infected mortality rate below 1%, of which the vast majority are very old, anyway. It's just bananas.
    "Only" is an awfully big word.

No one's recommending overreacting here, but the personal freedom freaks are the ones driving the current situation. No one's stating that the drugs you list haven't shown promise, although I'm more than happy to go out on a limb and say that most people touting them don't happen to have them in their personal medicine cabinet - or can't run over to CVS or Walgreen's to pick up a bottle if they're showing symptoms. I have all kinds of faith in our doctors and hospitals just as you do.

What I don't have faith in is that everyone else is listening to what the smart people are telling them - that's why we're all at risk, some more than others. You can't legislate common sense, and as long as our fearless "leader" continues encouraging people to do exactly the opposite of what the doctors and scientists tell people to do we're all going to be put at more risk than we should. That has absolutely nothing to do with politics or the economy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    To be fair - exactly how do we KNOW it's peaking now (or anything else about it if we're truly being "honest")???

It was supposedly "peaking" when things were so bad in New York well over a month ago and things weren't bad everywhere else.
    So you expect it to get worse? States who never took it seriously are finally forced to take it serious. How could it get worse.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So you expect it to get worse? States who never took it seriously are finally forced to take it serious. How could it get worse.
    It could get horribly worse. Not that anyone wants it to, or really expects it to, but this has still only affected a small portion of the population, one little mutation and it could get much, much worse.

Plus, even states like NY are not out of it. Saw images online of a massive party on Fire Island yesterday with people bragging they were there with COVID symptoms. All it takes is a few morons to keep this going.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    It could get horribly worse. Not that anyone wants it to, or really expects it to, but this has still only affected a small portion of the population, one little mutation and it could get much, much worse.

Plus, even states like NY are not out of it. Saw images online of a massive party on Fire Island yesterday with people bragging they were there with COVID symptoms. All it takes is a few morons to keep this going.
    ..."New York and New Jersey, America's hardest-hit states, are no longer among the few currently on track to contain COVID-19, losing ground they had just a week ago, according to Covid Act Now, which uses real-time modeling and metrics to assess the nation's standing in the war against the novel coronavirus...."

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rates/2498788/

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2020), jpx7 (07-05-2020), Skeeter31 (07-05-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I have no idea what to expect at this point. I've been one of those who was saying it was much worse than the media was making it out to be early on, and that has continued to be the case. Certainly not because I'm scientifically knowledgeable on any level. A lot of it's in the bold type (or key words) for me personally. My Mom was one of those scientifically inclined people (Masters in both chemistry and physics - went to Duke on an academic scholarship years ago) - so I look for things in people's faces almost as often as I listen to what they say. Fauci and the "smart people" were always hoping for the best while trying to prepare for the worst early on when the administration actually shared the stage with them. You could see in their faces when they answered questions that they were often holding back. They were far from dismissive, but you could see that they didn't feel the points they were trying to get across were being taken seriously.

Lots of those smart people are admitting now - months later - that we still don't have any kind of handle on this and that we're a LONG WAY from being able to remotely get it "under control". The politics don't matter. The economics don't matter. The science just hasn't been able to catch up - YET. I have lots of faith that it will - those people are simply too smart not to eventually figure things out. It's more a question of time and following their recommendations for the time being for me. Some of the few things they "know" already that are as things stand right now (with so far to still go with treatments and drugs) include that it's a good idea to stay away from people who you don't know for sure that haven't come into contact with the virus, it's an even better idea to avoid large gatherings in confined spaces, that much better if you stay at least 6 feet away from others, and the best defense is to wear a mask. Trying to play a baseball game while adhering to those four things is all but impossible to accomplish.

"Taking it serious" is completely relative as well. I live in the middle of BFE - the mountains of NC - yet the numbers here continue to climb every day. Many of the people here still refuse to wear a mask and ignore the climbing numbers. Can it get worse? Absolutely. Until some people show that they possess a modicum of common sense and realize that they're absolutely capable of spreading it even if they don't feel sick it will continue to get worse in pockets.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-05-2020 at 02:03 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-05-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    BTW, who's "forcing" them to do anything? You saw the pictures of all the folks hanging out in the middle of nowhere with Trump last night, right?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Something that is often overlooked about this disease as well is we have no idea what the long term effects are going to end up being. Just because it doesn’t kill you today doesn’t mean it won’t come back with a vengeance in the future.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-05-2020), jpx7 (07-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    BTW, who's "forcing" them to do anything? You saw the pictures of all the folks hanging out in the middle of nowhere with Trump last night, right?
    So let those stupid people kill themselves off. Here in NYC I can tell you, people are not taking it serious enough. But the majority are distancing and wearing masks. Have been since March. The idiots will continue to infect each other.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    What about all the "idiots" crowding Jacksonville Beach in Fla and Pacifica Beach in Ca.

All of this "idiot playing" has over shadowed the killings by gangs, etc. 14 dead in Chicago, 2 in NYC, 2 in SC at a bar that has had prior shootings, and it goes on and on. I can't remember all of the cities with shooting deaths thru Sat but you don't hear much about a 7 year old girl or 14 year old boy being killed in drive by shootings. By my best count, over 200 have been wounded by gun fire.

Put all of that together and you get a total equal to the number of deaths from COVID as reported on Sat.. Not all reported covid deaths are actually from covi. One death in Ca was attributed to covid because the driver killed in accident had covid.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 07-05-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    If any of the professional team sports in the U.S. get in a season this year I'll be shocked. I admire them for trying and wish them luck but so far it looks like a recipe for disaster to me. And it's not just the virus, the paranoia and the misinformation. There's just too much going on right now. One good cluster can wipe a team or the workforce out. I hope it somehow works but all I see is disaster.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2020), jpx7 (07-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Has anything unexpected happened to this point? We knew there would be a small percentage of players test positive, and many more will eventually get it. This was all known before they decided to play. Hopefully the will to play out the season isn't as weak from the league as it is from some folks on this board. I figured the first coach hospitalized might be the death of the season, but certainly not a small percentage of positive cases from players. So far so good as far as I'm concerned.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Has anything unexpected happened to this point? We knew there would be a small percentage of players test positive, and many more will eventually get it. This was all known before they decided to play. Hopefully the will to play out the season isn't as weak from the league as it is from some folks on this board. I figured the first coach hospitalized might be the death of the season, but certainly not a small percentage of positive cases from players. So far so good as far as I'm concerned.
    It hasn't even been a week yet and already it's spreading within "the bubble". Your comments would make sense if this wasn't a highly contagious virus. If in another week no one else has tested positive that would be great, and probably a miracle.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2020), jpx7 (07-05-2020)