Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlanta Braves Appear Unlikely To Consider Name Change

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I would guess the Blackhawks are next on the target.
    I don't think the Blackhawks generate the same level of outcry, because they're named after a specific member of a specific tribe—likewise, I haven't heard much outcry about the Illini representations of University of Illinois—and moreover the Blackhawks have also proactively sought indigenous participation in discussions around their representation, like FSU has with the Seminole tribe (and, as much as it pains me to say anything positive about FSU, I think they've genuinely done a good job relative to other sports teams).

That seems to be the big gulf: indigenous peoples, for the most part, aren't saying never speak of or celebrate our various cultures, they're just asking for a say in how and when and why they're represented (in these cases, by large entertainment corporations, for the profit of non-native peoples). And I'm very sympathetic to the idea that they'd like to not be represented by an outright slur (Washington's NFL team), by a historical misnomer that generalizes what is actually a very diverse set of native tribes, languages, and cultures (Indians), or what could easily be construed as a caricature of otherizing savagery (Braves).

If the Braves were smart, given that—unlike the other two negative examples—their name is open to a lot of various meanings, they'd have gotten ahead of this years ago: for instance, slowly but surely phasing out the tomahawk and other faux-indigenous iconography, replacing it with jingoistic, Home of the Braves US-patriotism bull****. This might've allowed the team to keep the name while appeasing (almost) everybody: native peoples would no longer have complaints about (mis)representation, while I'd bet the Venn diagram of (a) people triggered by "catering" to a minority group and (b) people who'd gorge themselves on the jingoism angle is, essentially, a circle. The team's faceless corporate ownership is even called Liberty Media, providing top-down synergy for this re-branding—and really, given that the Braves are owned by a bottom-line-oriented corporation, as opposed to a dollars-plus-ego-driven lead owner, I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to do something like this already.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Super (07-13-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I don't think the Blackhawks generate the same level of outcry, because they're named after a specific member of a specific tribe—likewise, I haven't heard much outcry about the Illini representations of University of Illinois—and moreover the Blackhawks have also proactively sought indigenous participation in discussions around their representation, like FSU has with the Seminole tribe (and, as much as it pains me to say anything positive about FSU, I think they've genuinely done a good job relative to other sports teams).

That seems to be the big gulf: indigenous peoples, for the most part, aren't saying never speak of or celebrate our various cultures, they're just asking for a say in how and when and why they're represented (in these cases, by large entertainment corporations, for the profit of non-native peoples). And I'm very sympathetic to the idea that they'd like to not be represented by an outright slur (Washington's NFL team), by a historical misnomer that generalizes what is actually a very diverse set of native tribes, languages, and cultures (Indians), or what could easily be construed as a caricature of otherizing savagery (Braves).

If the Braves were smart, given that—unlike the other two negative examples—their name is open to a lot of various meanings, they'd have gotten ahead of this years ago: for instance, slowly but surely phasing out the tomahawk and other faux-indigenous iconography, replacing it with jingoistic, Home of the Braves US-patriotism bull****. This might've allowed the team to keep the name while appeasing (almost) everybody: native peoples would no longer have complaints about (mis)representation, while I'd bet the Venn diagram of (a) people triggered by "catering" to a minority group and (b) people who'd gorge themselves on the jingoism angle is, essentially, a circle. The team's faceless corporate ownership is even called Liberty Media, providing top-down synergy for this re-branding—and really, given that the Braves are owned by a bottom-line-oriented corporation, as opposed to a dollars-plus-ego-driven lead owner, I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to do something like this already.
    So you’re saying sub out the tomahawk for an assault rifle?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2020)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    So you’re saying sub out the tomahawk for an assault rifle?
    Specifically this one:

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (07-10-2020), zitothebrave (07-11-2020)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I'd rather the name was changed before the chop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I'd rather the name was changed before the chop.
    Huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Huh?
    I would rather the Braves change their name, but I know the chop will go before that happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I would rather the Braves change their name, but I know the chop will go before that happens.
    I don’t get it.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    The chop will be gone soon unfortunately. Braves didnt outright say it was staying in their last email sent out, which means is good as gone.
    This is my signature. Savs intolerance gets me banned from the Real Talk forums. This is the kind of censorship that doomed the scout site. Don't let Sav censor us anymore. End of signature.

[SAV checking in here. toma has been acting like a child, thus the child goes into timeout until he stops acting like a child. 11/21 12:30am]