Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Neck is out

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But see you're missing the whole point. And I live in NYC myself. The problems that happened here in March were young people were getting it, and then bringing it home to their at risk family they live with, and they were the ones dying. So the whole point of the whole thing is transmitting it to others who are more at risk.
    I don't think so. The whole point is whether a lock down is required to defeat CV-19. NY went with a hard lock down. As of April 3, 14 days after that lock down went into effect, NY had 105,031 total cases. If the lock down was effective in stopping the spread, we should have seen cases start to diminish at that point. The curve didn't start to flatten until May 1 (315,222 cases). Meanwhile in Florida the reopening 45 days on has not seen an uptick in daily deaths.

I agree with your premise, the single stupidest thing we did as a nation was shut down colleges and send a low risk population with high transmission probability home to their families that were higher risk with lower transmission probability. IF CDC's sole function is to prevent/limit the spread of a pandemic, there have been some head scratching decisions come out of that office. Monday morning QB makes them look even worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Never have understood why this kind of number gets tossed around - There aren't a million people that live within a 75 mile radius of me.

So areas like mine help to bring those numbers WAY down, but they also count just as much when you want to say there's no shortage of ICU beds or PPE in New York, Houston, etc.? Seems to me that if you were actually interested in measuring things correctly you'd only compare the ones in densely-populated areas to those in other densely-populated areas.

"Media-hype" works both ways - if you're trying to scare everybody in the Styx by referencing the numbers in big cities, make sure you inform the folks in populated areas that their numbers are being kept down since you're including places like this in your calculations.
    What is the most important thing then in your evaluation of how the virus was handled?

Where are the over run ICUs? Where are the high death counts?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So just out of curiosity, while those five states you named were mishandling it in March, what were the other 45 states doing properly to mitigate it? Did South Dakota and Montana cut off flights from China and Italy? That doesn't explain the situation at all.
    I can't speak to what other states were doing, but Florida did quite a few things right. It's first priority was seeking to protect the most at risk populations. Our Governor was sending PPE to nursing homes, not hospitals, to ensure workers were not going to infect residents (thus keeping them out of hospitals). Visitors to nursing homes were locked out to protect those within. Any positive test in a nursing home required immediate quarantine. Florida also pressed its real time emergency management system, primarily to deal with hurricanes, into action for CV-19 response thus permitting the Governor to get resources to the place they made the most impact instead of guessing or being a step behind. It was this system that alerted Florida that its biggest hot spots were the results of NY residents fleeing the lock down and spreading the virus from NY to Florida. That discovery led Florida not to a lock down of everyone, but to an order that NY residents entering Florida self quarantine for 14 days. These actions have resulted in Florida, a state with 6.5% of the nations population (a disproportionate amount of whom are in at risk categories) accounting for only 2.8% of the CV-19 deaths while reopening their economy to prevent economic devastation of the 8.5 million people working in Florida.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Never have understood why this kind of number gets tossed around - There aren't a million people that live within a 75 mile radius of me.

So areas like mine help to bring those numbers WAY down, but they also count just as much when you want to say there's no shortage of ICU beds or PPE in New York, Houston, etc.? Seems to me that if you were actually interested in measuring things correctly you'd only compare the ones in densely-populated areas to those in other densely-populated areas.

"Media-hype" works both ways - if you're trying to scare everybody in the Styx by referencing the numbers in big cities, make sure you inform the folks in populated areas that their numbers are being kept down since you're including places like this in your calculations.

The problem is quoting death numbers without context for the third largest country in the world (behind India and China and ahead of Indonesia and Pakistan) as support for the US response to the virus being the worst in the world. Five NE States made a bad call on CV-19 in nursing homes. That drove our death number up needlessly. Moreover, our size dictates that our raw death number will be higher than others. The deaths per million is nothing more than placing the death number in the context of overall population. Based upon that statistic, the US response has been better than Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden and France. If an accounting was made for the disastrous mistake of the NE states, we'd likely also have better stats than Netherlands, Ireland, Chile, Peru, Brazil and Ecuador, bringing us more in line with Canada in the reported numbers. But then the reported numbers are complete crap and it really doesn't matter how we stack up to others. What matters is how we move forward. The reality is we are heading for two different Americas. One of lock downs and face masks where fear pervades and one of open economy and some semblance of normalcy where optimism conquers fear. Each state will have to choose its own path.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    The problem is quoting death numbers without context for the third largest country in the world (behind India and China and ahead of Indonesia and Pakistan) as support for the US response to the virus being the worst in the world. Five NE States made a bad call on CV-19 in nursing homes. That drove our death number up needlessly. Moreover, our size dictates that our raw death number will be higher than others. The deaths per million is nothing more than placing the death number in the context of overall population. Based upon that statistic, the US response has been better than Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden and France. If an accounting was made for the disastrous mistake of the NE states, we'd likely also have better stats than Netherlands, Ireland, Chile, Peru, Brazil and Ecuador, bringing us more in line with Canada in the reported numbers. But then the reported numbers are complete crap and it really doesn't matter how we stack up to others. What matters is how we move forward. The reality is we are heading for two different Americas. One of lock downs and face masks where fear pervades and one of open economy and some semblance of normalcy where optimism conquers fear. Each state will have to choose its own path.
    Post in the locker room politics forum please. Your common sense approach is needed.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    clap clap clap

These people on this very forum that dont want baseball need to put a sock in it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Post in the locker room politics forum please. Your common sense approach is needed.
    Definitely

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    clap clap clap

These people on this very forum that dont want baseball need to put a sock in it.
    What in the *ell does this discussion have to do with "not wanting baseball"?

It's painfully obvious that everyone wants to see games - what's sad is that some people are entirely unable to separate their politics from the discussion. Again, MLB butchered the testing procedure in several camps already. This understandably made already uneasy players even more nervous and concerned for their own families. Has anybody bothered to ask Trout, Doolittle, Bryant, Freeman, Andrew Miller, or ANY of the players that have chosen to opt out so far which political party they're affiliated with. If we happen to find that out, what difference could it possibly make?

Given the current unknowns combined with MLB's bumbling of the situation, it's perfectly reasonable for players to say "call me when you get your *hit together and I'll be back". I certainly wouldn't play under the current set of circumstances.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-07-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts

It's painfully obvious that everyone wants to see games - what's sad is that some people are entirely unable to separate their politics from the discussion. Again, MLB butchered the testing procedure in several camps already. This understandably made already uneasy players even more nervous and concerned for their own families. Has anybody bothered to ask Trout, Doolittle, Bryant, Freeman, Andrew Miller, or ANY of the players that have chosen to opt out so far which political party they're affiliated with. If we happen to find that out, what difference could it possibly make?

Given the current unknowns combined with MLB's bumbling of the situation, it's perfectly reasonable for players to say "call me when you get your *hit together and I'll be back". I certainly wouldn't play under the current set of circumstances.
    You are a cuck.

Play ball!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Do you think the players that are opting out are going home and climbing under their beds? Of course not. They are just as likely, if not more so, going home and getting it at the grocery store or from a neighbor or from the postman who sneezes on their mail, etc. etc.

The numbers are high right now because the number of tests is high. There is no way to know how many people were walking around with it with no symptoms back in March when they had few if any tests.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    596 Posts
    clap clap clap

What a very ignorant thing to say. There is literally nobody on this forum that doesn’t want baseball. We don’t want to lose our favorite players or have them lose a loved one either.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    What a very ignorant thing to say. There is literally nobody on this forum that doesn’t want baseball. We don’t want to lose our favorite players or have them lose a loved one either.
    Wrong. VirginiaBrave and a few others don't want to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The numbers are high right now because the number of tests is high. There is no way to know how many people were walking around with it with no symptoms back in March when they had few if any tests.
    how are people still spewing this nonsense.
    Arizona just recorded a 33% positive rate.
    33%.
    that has nothing to do with the amount of tests. rates are a thing. and the positive rate is spiking in some places.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    just ignore the little man. he's like 15.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Do you think the players that are opting out are going home and climbing under their beds? Of course not. They are just as likely, if not more so, going home and getting it at the grocery store or from a neighbor or from the postman who sneezes on their mail, etc. etc.

So if we stop testing, nobody has the virus?

Wow. So if nobody hits a ball to LF, Ozuna's a great defender? If no one throws a slider that dives into the left-handed batters box Riley's going to become a HOFer?

No one is suggesting hiding under a bed - this is exactly where the bloated and stretched two party system has landed us. Either you agree with the far-left or the far-right - anything in between that doesn't line up with my way of thinking makes you one "of them". Everybody screaming about how it's an unforgivable infringement on their rights to be asked to wear a mask to protect others COMPLETELY IGNORES the fact that those wearing a mask are simply exercising the same right in a different way. You have every right not to wear a mask (and I wholeheartedly support your choice), just don't come around me right now because my situation's different than yours. Multiple members of my immediate family are high-risk individuals, and I'd prefer not to be any part of exposing them. I support better gun control, but happen to own a .44 that will blow a large hole through the engine block of my truck and have no interest in taking that away from someone who similarly has one as a means to protect their home and family from unreasonable idiots.

Reasonable people understand that everything isn't always black or white. Unfortunately we seldom hear from those people these days.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    just ignore the little man. he's like 15.
    You're wrong.

Also, I'd compare test scores with a mediocre libbie like you any day.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Based upon that statistic, the US response has been better than Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden and France.
    Sweden IIRC didn't lock down at all, so yeah i'd say their response was poor. they also have a far better healthcare system than we do.
    the US hasn't turned anything around.
    we have a war on mask-wearing going on.
    today, we are in worse shape than ANY of those countries save perhaps the UK, and there's not really an end in sight.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You're wrong.

Also, I'd compare test scores with a mediocre libbie like you any day.
    aww wittle man it's ok bb

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    The Braves will be missing an important piece to their lineup, especially vs RHP. He obviously isn't great, but compared to what's on hand to replace him, he is an upgrade.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-07-2020), jpx7 (07-07-2020), Skeeter31 (07-07-2020)