Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: School Openings

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The teachers union of course is fighting to keep kids out of school. All they care about is teachers pay and security.

What a sham.
    Think about that statement for just a moment. Now since you're so eager to get them back in school, whether it's safe or not, why don't you write Betsy DeVoss a letter and get her to certify you and then YOU could become a teacher and lead the way back to "the way things ought to be". I mean, after all anyone can teach, right?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (07-14-2020)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Think about that statement for just a moment. Now since you're so eager to get them back in school, whether it's safe or not, why don't you write Betsy DeVoss a letter and get her to certify you and then YOU could become a teacher and lead the way back to "the way things ought to be". I mean, after all anyone can teach, right?
    My teacher friends are begging to stay home bc they say it's an extended vacation.

Most teachers suck, sadly.

Bust up the unions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    My first passion was to teach and I was very close. Glad I chose finance/accounting though.

Teachers union protects awful teachers and ultimately does not care about kids successes and failures.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    The teachers union of course is fighting to keep kids out of school. All they care about is teachers pay and security.

What a sham.
    https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...oats_final.pdf

Defunding police, a millionaires tax, a wealth tax, financial support for illegals, a moratorium on charter schools, Medicare for all...just some of the preconditions ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...oats_final.pdf

Defunding police, a millionaires tax, a wealth tax, financial support for illegals, a moratorium on charter schools, Medicare for all...just some of the preconditions ...
    Teachers union is the far and away the biggest reason why education is getting worse in this country. They are a selfish organization that puts children last.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Teachers union is the far and away the biggest reason why education is getting worse in this country. They are a selfish organization that puts children last.
    And to think you all have actually asked how many teachers, you know the people who do the jobs what needs to be done to improve our educational system? Oh that's right far right propaganda is way more enlightened about such things. I've taught for 27 years and I could tell you some really good ways to improve education but nobody wants to hear that, they'd rather go with the same old talking points about how charter schools are the answer.

So, if teacher's unions aren't supposed to care about teacher safe, pay, and legal protection from being fired because of pissing off little Johnny's mommy what are they for. For the record I was in the teacher's union in OK for about 5 years in OK and I can tell you lots of things about the union that I strongly disagreed with on a good day and absolutely hated on other days. I used to refer to the lady who was supposed to be our advocate when there was an incident where we needed their defense for, as "the administrator's advocate" because she cared way more about kissing their ass than taking care of us. Needless to say I wasn't invited to many union get-togethers.

Kids are the #1 problem with our educational system, though they're way more the effects than the causes. Parents are the main causes. They want their kids educated but always cut down the authority of teachers to discipline their kids when they need it, choosing to believe their little ****s when they tell them how the teacher was mean to them and for no reason. The administrators would be the #2 cause. They make big money as administrators, not be making sure kids learn but for making sure the appearance of educating them is going on and the teachers know just how far they can go when the kids won't learn or misbehave.

Just a few facts and I'll leave it with you guys.

sturg, maybe you need some new friends who are teachers. Sure, who wouldn't want more vacation? Real teachers do the job because they love to teach. Too many real teachers have left the profession because of the things I mentioned above. Their positions have been filled by those who love a paycheck and most of those I've known who fit that description don't really need a union because they are related to someone in a position of power and/or wealth or have some other connections to them. You can't get rid of them no matter what you do, unions or no unions.

aces, the stuff from your link are the things from the far left sections of the Democratic Party. Over the past 27 years I've gotten to know a LOT of teachers, I can assure you that at least 80% of those teachers I know vote Republican most of the time if not all the time.

Republicans hate teachers unions, not because they aren't doing their jobs to improve education, though this isn't totally untrue. They hate teachers because of teachers unions and they hate them because they see them as voting Democrat all the time and supporting far left causes even more often than that.

Why don't Republicans seem to hate police unions? Is there any question those unions need some fine tuning???

the-squared, I don't know **** about finance/accounting, I readily admit that, but if I were to start telling you everything that was wrong with your profession and how it needed to be changed what would you tell me?

One final thought, the community college where I teach mainly serves a 3 county area. One of the biggest public school systems in our service area mandates that teachers are not allowed to give their students anything lower than a C grade for any class, no matter whether they do anything in class, learn anything in class, or even if they graduate like Dexter Manley (the Washington Redskins DL from back in the day) did from OSU and couldn't even ****ing read. I'm sure that's the teachers' fault too. And that school isn't the only one around here that won't allow anything less than a C to be awarded.

Why do you think they do that? Is it to keep mommy and daddy and little Johnny and Mary happy? Partially. But the #1 reason why they do that is that funding is based on grades and at risk schools lose funding because students aren't learning. So, eliminate the failing students, you eliminate the threat of losing funding. Do you all really think charter schools would treat this situation any better???????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I want to end police unions too.

All unions actually

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    My teacher friends are begging to stay home bc they say it's an extended vacation.
    LMAO I'm sure that's the case. First the humor that you have "friends" and second that any teacher woudl think this when remote learning is by any teacher friend I know significantly harder to do. Only convenience is you don't have to physically go to school.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Yeah, the teachers unions. not the poorly funded school systems. That's the problem.

Betsy DeVos is for sure the answer.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Yeah, the teachers unions. not the poorly funded school systems. That's the problem.

Poorly funded?

Are you joking?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Poorly funded?

Hahahahahahaha

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    LMAO I'm sure that's the case. First the humor that you have "friends" and second that any teacher woudl think this when remote learning is by any teacher friend I know significantly harder to do. Only convenience is you don't have to physically go to school.
    They work three hours a day... not allowed to teach new material. No grades.

What a struggle...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Oh an only 2 days a week teaching.

That's the best funded school system in the country too in Northern VA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    From a list of top funded education systems in the world...

"2: The United States spent $12,800 per student in 2015 and over $700 billion total yet still falls short when it comes to academic achievement."

https://www.insider.com/how-much-cou...t-education-15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

"2: The United States spent $12,800 per student in 2015 and over $700 billion total yet still falls short when it comes to academic achievement."

I believe this past year was nearly $16k per student

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I believe this past year was nearly $16k per student
    Zito special like all his other posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I want to end police unions too.

All unions actually
    OK, so what kind of legal protection for those members of any union who are mistreated, fired unfairly, paid unfairly, etc.? Unions tend to suck, I agree with you, but the power of management/ownership hasn't decreased one iota over the past few decades, and it doesn't make sense to me to destroy the power of one side while enhancing the power of the other side.

Suggestions?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    They work three hours a day... not allowed to teach new material. No grades.

What a struggle...
    Not sure what you're talking about here, and with the only teaching 2 days/week statement. Help me out here?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

AND sturg quote: "I believe this past year was nearly $16k per student"

Why do you suppose DeVoss and the charter school owners and supporters want to get their hands on the public schools???

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Poorly funded?

Are you joking?
    a LOT of money does go to K-12 I can testify to that. The problem is a lot of it never makes it into the classrooms. I can testify to that as well.