Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SP options

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I didn't want to quote the long clvclv piece above, but I agree that there appears to be something a little off in how guys are being handled coming through the minors. I haven't checked lately, but has there been a lot of turnover on the teaching staff? My primary gripe is that they've been pushing some guys way too fast (Bryse Wilson and even Wright to some extent). I think the same can be said of our hitting prospects. As good as they've played, I see flaws on all of our younger guys that could have been ironed out a bit more before they hit the majors. I don't agree with Horsehide Harry on how we should have been more aggressive in the rebuild and totally troughed out, but I think the front office and the field staff got a little too heady about being a serious contender a bit too soon and promoted some guys too aggressively.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-30-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I didn't want to quote the long clvclv piece above, but I agree that there appears to be something a little off in how guys are being handled coming through the minors. I haven't checked lately, but has there been a lot of turnover on the teaching staff? My primary gripe is that they've been pushing some guys way too fast (Bryse Wilson and even Wright to some extent). I think the same can be said of our hitting prospects. As good as they've played, I see flaws on all of our younger guys that could have been ironed out a bit more before they hit the majors. I don't agree with Horsehide Harry on how we should have been more aggressive in the rebuild and totally troughed out, but I think the front office and the field staff got a little too heady about being a serious contender a bit too soon and promoted some guys too aggressively.
    This could be true, but it's also a fact that MLB in general has become much more aggressive on pushing spects in recent years, so it could also be that you notice the leaguewide trend more on the team you follow.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    This could be true, but it's also a fact that MLB in general has become much more aggressive on pushing spects in recent years, so it could also be that you notice the leaguewide trend more on the team you follow.
    When you're asking them to max out velo at expense of health and longevity, the earlier the better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Guy like Bryse Wilson was just overrated and never as good as the hype.

My version of that is Weigel.

It's pretty normal for young guys to struggle and not be fully formed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Disagree.

2020 will be remembered greatly because of the uniqueness.

Flags fly forever. Any franchise and city worth their salt wants to win . . . badly.
    True. I bet all 27 Marlins fans love reminiscing about those championships and don’t wish the subsequent years were handled any differently.

I mean, those flags are awesome!! Derp!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves will probably be shopping for a 3B and a SP at the deadline this year. It will be very hard to value these options since everything we typically used in the past to put a value on trade pieces is irrelevant in this strange season.

I suspect we will see the Braves try to flip their good-not-great nearly ready MLB talent for short term immediate help. They have a whole slew of controllable 1-2 win guys they can cash in for some short term impact. Who else can they use as trade bait? Young guys who aren’t even playing this season?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-30-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Where is Weigel. Is he still on the team.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Where is Weigel. Is he still on the team.
    yes. He and Tucker are both good options

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    We spent an entire rebuild acquiring as much pitching as possible in trades, draft, etc. And we’ve developed two major league starters. Two.

Imagine what a pitching player development department like the Rays, Indians, Dodgers, etc. could’ve gone with this group. Instead, we keep waiting for anything positive to make us hopeful.

Coppy’s decision to focus on only pitching was obviously dumb, but AA’s player development dept has been incredibly mediocre at best.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Not sure it's the best idea to trade for pitchers this year given it could all shutdown if there's more positive tests for others teams. Not sure i can really blame AA for the lack of pitching though. Signed Felix and Hamels, then Folty cant even hit 93. Down 3 of your SP's, and now we're in the situation we are. Unfortunate but **** happens. A top 5 of Max, Soroka, Felix, Hamels, Folty would have been fine. But it all went down in flames with Felix opt out, Folty's mess, and Hamels injury.

But still have Tucker Davidson, Ian Anderson, but AA is probably going to have to get 2 SP's this winter. FA market isnt great. If Bauer is only taking 1 year deals, he feels like an AA lock for his 1 year deal special. Braves do need to develop SP's better though, other than Fried and Soroka, it's a hot mess.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-30-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    We spent an entire rebuild acquiring as much pitching as possible in trades, draft, etc. .
    this simply isn't true.

you also can't just ignore that there was basically zero quality major league pitching in the entire organization. pitchers flame out or take a long time to develop all the time. having nothing good at any level really hurts you for the future.
    Last edited by Super; 07-30-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    We spent an entire rebuild acquiring as much pitching as possible in trades, draft, etc. And we’ve developed two major league starters. Two.

Imagine what a pitching player development department like the Rays, Indians, Dodgers, etc. could’ve gone with this group. Instead, we keep waiting for anything positive to make us hopeful.

Coppy’s decision to focus on only pitching was obviously dumb, but AA’s player development dept has been incredibly mediocre at best.

Folty is clearly a quality MLB starter that was developed through the rebuild.

Newcomb may or may not be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Folty is clearly a quality MLB starter that was developed through the rebuild.

Newcomb may or may not be.
    And it’s still too early to write off Wright.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2020), jpx7 (07-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Wright off write?
    Ivermectin Man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-30-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That's true, but Albies, Acuna, Riley, and Camargo all played less than one whole season in AAA and Swanson basically skipped AAA altogether. Call me a dinosaur (see illustration below), but I still think they all have edges that should have been sanded off before hitting the big leagues.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2020), jpx7 (07-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That's true, but Albies, Acuna, Riley, and Camargo all played less than one whole season in AAA and Swanson basically skipped AAA altogether. Call me a dinosaur (see illustration below), but I still think they all have edges that should have been sanded off before hitting the big leagues.

50# has never skipped leg day.
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts

Right, I'm not disagreeing. Just pointing out that that is happening on almost every team now, 19, 20, 21 year olds seeming to come up at historically high levels. So I think it may be a modern MLB problem, not a Braves problem. (I'd also speculate, without evidence and gut feeling only, that having a guy making the minimum instead of a more expensive vet is the likely driver there)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Guy like Bryse Wilson was just overrated and never as good as the hype.

My version of that is Weigel.

It's pretty normal for young guys to struggle and not be fully formed.
    We have a history of overrating pitching prospects. Then when I do an analysis of their stuff and show they aren’t that great, folks get angry. Then everyone forgets about Wilson, and starts overrating the next guy in line....as if they are incapable of learning from past overhypes.

And thus goes the cycle....round and round...just different names.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I wouldnt call it a problem. Cost is one factor. Analytics are also saying the peak for players is getting younger, so bringing these guys up early is trying to maximize that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    you don't even know what a write-off is
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg