Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SP options

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The thing about trading with the As is they tend to value cheap 1-2 win players very highly due to payroll constraints. Look at their return for JD when AA got him to Toronto. The headliner was Brett Lawrie, a 2 win guy that could step in and replace JD, and a trio of prospects that amounted to pretty much nothing.

The Braves have a ton of those 1-2 win guys who are MLB-ready, and I could see them packaging a few up for Chapman..but almost certainly not this year when he is making league minimum and the As are almost certainly going to be playoff contenders.

Any Chapman talk needs to wait until this off season or next. It's simply not happening in 2020.
    Exactly. We have the kind of guys the A’s like. You are right...it’s a very slim chance. The thing is, waaay less competition (because no GMs are thinking trades). You give them two cheap MLB ready guys...they might do it. Probably not...I would definitely try it though. Riley could plug right in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

mossy (08-06-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    The As are 8-4. Chapman is making league minimum. Riley is swinging with his eyes closed.

There is a 1% chance the As trade Chapman in 2020, and 0% chance they trade him for Austin Riley. There is a much larger chance (but less than 1%) they trade him for Camargo plus 2-3 arms they can slot into the MLB roster right now. Problem is, the Braves are in no position to give up those MLB-ready arms during the 2020 season with Hammels and Soroka and Felix and Folty already poofed. That's like an entire rotation gone in the blink of an eye.

Look for the Braves to convert some known quantity like Wilson into some short term MLB asset like Shaw (not those exact names, just examples).
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The As are 8-4. Chapman is making league minimum. Riley is swinging with his eyes closed.

There is a 1% chance the As trade Chapman in 2020, and 0% chance they trade him for Austin Riley. There is a much larger chance (but less than 1%) they trade him for Camargo plus 2-3 arms they can slot into the MLB roster right now. Problem is, the Braves are in no position to give up those MLB-ready arms during the 2020 season with Hammels and Soroka and Felix and Folty already poofed. That's like an entire rotation gone in the blink of an eye.

Look for the Braves to convert some known quantity like Wilson into some short term MLB asset like Shaw (not those exact names, just examples).
    ...So...you’re telling me there is a chance!!

Ha. I know it’s a pipe dream. I do think since really no GM is really looking to trade, there might just be a few bargains to be had.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    If Riley were able to be just "plug right in" we wouldn't have much of a need for Chapman. Riley is not a starting caliber player at this point in his career. Ryu completely owned him Riley last night. Riley looked completely lost like he didn't have any sort of plan when he went to the plate. His value will only decrease until he can prove he can be a quality MLB hitter.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-06-2020), salmagundy (08-06-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If Riley were able to be just "plug right in" we wouldn't have much of a need for Chapman. Riley is not a starting caliber player at this point in his career. Ryu completely owned him Riley last night. Riley looked completely lost like he didn't have any sort of plan when he went to the plate. His value will only decrease until he can prove he can be a quality MLB hitter.
    Riley has three extra years to figure it out though and the A’s love guys like that. Cheap with a chance to be someone like Chapman in a year or two (not saying he will be).

As for Ryu...he has kinda owned every Braves player he has ever pitched against for the most part. He just has our number.

When I see Riley...I think of Dansby. If he happens to put it together, he will be a great hitter with power AND decent defense.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

There is a 1% chance the As trade Chapman in 2020, and 0% chance they trade him for Austin Riley. There is a much larger chance (but less than 1%) they trade him for Camargo plus 2-3 arms they can slot into the MLB roster right now. Problem is, the Braves are in no position to give up those MLB-ready arms during the 2020 season.

If AA still thinks we've got a shot and could turn Wilson into Shaw, I wonder if he'd try to turn Riley into a controllable mid-rotation piece like Boyd?

A Fried/Hamels/Wright/Boyd playoff rotation would be awfully left-handed, but wouldn't be awful - and a Soroka/Fried/Wright/Boyd/Anderson 2021 rotation could be pretty *amn good. If Shaw stays healthy and hits you try to bring him back, if not you could probably platoon Camargo and Shewmake next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I wouldn't throw Riley a fastball right now even if it would get Trump out of office.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-06-2020), jpx7 (08-06-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If AA still thinks we've got a shot and could turn Wilson into Shaw, I wonder if he'd try to turn Riley into a controllable mid-rotation piece like Boyd?

A Fried/Hamels/Wright/Boyd playoff rotation would be awfully left-handed, but wouldn't be awful - and a Soroka/Fried/Wright/Boyd/Anderson 2021 rotation could be pretty *amn good. If Shaw stays healthy and hits you try to bring him back, if not you could probably platoon Camargo and Shewmake next season.
    I have been on the sell side of Riley for quite some time, and if some team is giving up a Boyd for him it needs to happen.

I can't imagine Riley has much value now. It's not like I'm the only person who can see his contact stats.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-07-2020), Carp (08-07-2020), jpx7 (08-06-2020), salmagundy (08-07-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I have been on the sell side of Riley for quite some time, and if some team is giving up a Boyd for him it needs to happen.

I can't imagine Riley has much value now. It's not like I'm the only person who can see his contact stats.
    With you on Riley. It's almost like he has to be re-built. A guy can get away with having a slider-speed bat if he counters with good plate coverage. Riley's plate coverage appears to be absolutely terrible.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-07-2020), salmagundy (08-07-2020), Skeeter31 (08-07-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    No one could ever have seen this coming, but having someone durable like Julio around wouldn't be such a bad thing right now. Can argue that Tomlin is a better fit since he's cheaper, but Snitker just doesn't seem to like to use Tomlin as much as I think he probably should.

Hopefully AA got all over him about the usage of the young arms following last night's bumbling, stumbling, fumbling and told Snitker he's fired the next time one of them sees ANY lineup a third time. I just don't think Snitker will ever understand.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Riley has three extra years to figure it out though and the A’s love guys like that. Cheap with a chance to be someone like Chapman in a year or two (not saying he will be).

As for Ryu...he has kinda owned every Braves player he has ever pitched against for the most part. He just has our number.

When I see Riley...I think of Dansby. If he happens to put it together, he will be a great hitter with power AND decent defense.
    If Riley was on another team, would anyone here want him on the Braves? I sure wouldn’t. We all try to see the bright side of him because while he’s got his faults, he’s a Brave, but I doubt there are any teams out there beating down the door for him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-08-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    If Riley was on another team, would anyone here want him on the Braves? I sure wouldn’t. We all try to see the bright side of him because while he’s got his faults, he’s a Brave, but I doubt there are any teams out there beating down the door for him.
    I agree with the sentiment mostly but I'm also thinking he's not the type of player you can take in and out of the lineup. He either figures it out or you know for a fact he's not your 3B of the future (if you don't know already). In the Braves position they are pushing for the playoffs so I understand the need to win. For Riley's development though, this is not good.

Honestly, he's had some good at bats. He will have those that are remarkably bad, but I can at least see better ABS than at the end of last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I agree with the sentiment mostly but I'm also thinking he's not the type of player you can take in and out of the lineup. He either figures it out or you know for a fact he's not your 3B of the future (if you don't know already). In the Braves position they are pushing for the playoffs so I understand the need to win. For Riley's development though, this is not good.

Honestly, he's had some good at bats. He will have those that are remarkably bad, but I can at least see better ABS than at the end of last year.
    I think this is pretty spot on, and is why I tend to give Snit the benefit of the doubt when he plays Riley over Camargo. We all (should) know exactly what Camargo is by now, and Riley at least has a chance to be an impact hitter if he figures some things out.

I suspect the plan with Riley is to give him as many PAs as possible until the trade deadline, and then make a decision at 3b. My suspicion is that decision will be to move onto a new option, but the Braves have to find out, and giving him 100 PAs is the only way to do that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Riley has a history of making adjustments and improving at each level so I guess you have to give him room to try.

Braves have expectations though so it might be another club that ends up giving him extended look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I think I want to target Robbie Ray... the Diamondbacks are falling way behind fast and he'll be a FA next year. Could get him kinda cheap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Ray is certainly a reasonable target as well.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (08-10-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not sure I could stand to watch Ray walk as many guys as Newk does every night. I realize I've always liked him and have been in favor of trading for him in the past, but now that we've seen just how good this offense is (and that it's apparently able to overcome having two starters never go deeper than 4 innings) I'd just as soon stand pat unless AA is able to get a significant upgrade - and I'm not sure Ray is that.

If there's ANY chance that yesterday was able to open Snit's eyes to using an Opener, I'd send one of Sobotka/Dayton down every fifth day and see if you can get by using Ynoa/Wilson/Weigel/De La Cruz once through a lineup once a week. Might even be the best way to get Anderson's feet wet while you keep stretching him out in Gwinnett for a potential late season full-time gig.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-10-2020 at 07:03 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i'm sure MadBum would be available.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm sure MadBum would be available.
    They may even throw in a top prospect
    Ivermectin Man

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2020), Super (08-10-2020), The Chosen One (08-10-2020), UNCBlue012 (08-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Ray is certainly an upgrade over what we are putting out there right now.