Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SP options

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

SP options

Obviously some serious concern in our rotation going forward.

Soroka and Max have us covered in the first two spots. After that Newk is our next most reliable options. And that scares the hell out of me. How would you fill the final spots?

IMO id take a good look at Tomlin for one of them.
    Get off my lawn!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Considering I consider Fried a 3 (at best), I'd be looking for an outside option on a 1 or 2 first and foremost, and use a revolving door for 4 and 5 until someone steps up and starts taking them. Which is probably more general than what you're looking for, but it's hard to know what is even a realistic outside option in this crazy season.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-28-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Considering I consider Fried a 3 (at best), I'd be looking for an outside option on a 1 or 2 first and foremost, and use a revolving door for 4 and 5 until someone steps up and starts taking them. Which is probably more general than what you're looking for, but it's hard to know what is even a realistic outside option in this crazy season.
    I don't know that I'd be willing to spend too much this season. This thing could be called off any day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (08-04-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't know that I'd be willing to spend too much this season. This thing could be called off any day.
    Yep, if we see Philly players testing positive, it'll most likely be called off.

But for future reference, we've likely gotten into so much of a hole with SP that for 2021, if at all possible, we're likely going to have to do our best to acquire 2 starting pitchers. Maybe kick the tires on a Minor return, and then attempt to do a trade but keep our best prospects for another pitcher. 4 potentially reliable pitchers and then revolving through guys in #5 until one hits would be much better than what's going on right now, and even doing 3 potentially reliable and 2 revolving door spots.

Sure would've helped if Folty didn't **** the bed somewhere with what was going on there and Newcomb can actually do the "he looks like a potential tank ace" deal. If we didn't have that going on, then maybe we could've done 1 SP. Instead, we'll likely need 2.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (07-29-2020), JohnAdcox (07-29-2020)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    I'd suggest piggybacking the kids. Use this ridiculous year to figure out what they've got. Service time seems like a joke at this point for pitchers. Most are used up by year 6. Hope Mike and Max are exceptions, but odds seem to be against.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-29-2020), Runnin (08-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Let's go get Minor from the Rangers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I don't see any trades this season. With the expanded playoffs, prices will be through the roof, and most won't be available.

So the only option is internal candidates such as Touki, Chacin, Tomlin,etc.
    Get off my lawn!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I'm probably going to use Chacin and Tomlin until we think Ian Anderson can take over. Wright should get a LONG leash too.
    Ivermectin Man

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-29-2020), JohnAdcox (07-29-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'm probably going to use Chacin and Tomlin until we think Ian Anderson can take over. Wright should get a LONG leash too.
    This is probably the most likely option at this point.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I don't see any trades this season. With the expanded playoffs, prices will be through the roof, and most won't be available.

So the only option is internal candidates such as Touki, Chacin, Tomlin,etc.

There should still be a market. Bad teams will still want to shed expiring and expensive contracts.

I'm curious where the financial incentives for owners are this year. Does making the playoffs really help you that much when you have no gate? Would you want to spend just to make the first round and see what happens?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Trading for someone in 2020 would be a little stupid IMO. Play it out with what you have and keep your prospect powder dry in the event an unexpected trade opportunity presents itself this winter.

With the expanded playoffs, you've got a chance to back in to begin with - if they finish the "season". Put the group of Chacin/Wright/Touki/Wilson/Davidson/De La Cruz/Anderson/Muller in whatever order you rank them as an organization, and keep rolling them out in the last two slots until someone takes a job. Once you've ranked them though, you HAVE TO stop the up-and-down every other start *hit. Tell Wright the spot is his and to stop looking over his shoulder and pitching scared. There's no reason for him to be in Gwinnett throwing to guys that can't hit him unless he proves to you he's incapable of learning and making adjustments at this level. Watch him for the next 5-6 starts, then re-evaluate things. If he's still pitching like he did in the 3rd inning last night it's time to move on to the next guy.

I'm convinced our problems with Folty/Newk/Touki/Wright/Wilson is an organizational flaw at the upper levels. Stop coddling these kids and commit to them. How do you expect them to develop an edge and the confidence they can get hitters out at this level if Snitker's watching over their shoulders with a 6 inch hook? Stop going out there at the first sign of trouble and filling their heads with even more things to think about other than mechanics and game situations - your Catcher can typically handle helping them with those adjustments. Give them the chance to learn how to get themselves out of trouble and keep from embarrassing themselves. If you look as good as Wright did in the first two innings last night, it's likely something as simple as losing his release point (I realize that's not the simplest thing in the world for us humans, but you get the point). Don't go out and get him after he's given up 3 runs in the 3rd, leave him out there to learn to think for himself and stop the bleeding. He's not going to improve if you don't do that - he'll always be waiting for you to come get him. Then let the Pitching Coach talk to him between innings and send him back out there if the pitch count allows.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-29-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-29-2020), Dalyn (07-29-2020), JohnAdcox (07-29-2020), salmagundy (07-29-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The pickle we are in really shows how much the Braves knew Folty was done. No way they do this unless they knew literally anyone would be better in that spot.

That sounds good...just have some guys to hold down spots. Chacin and Tomlin will probably do fine for the short term. There is still a chance Cole comes back. I also keep thinking the combination of Touki, Weigel, Wright, Wilson...one of those guys should step up at some point soon. We have a crop behind those guys like Anderson, Muller, Davidson, Ynoa. We have another lesser crop behind those guys, but should produce a good lower rotation guy.

It’s not the Braves fault that Cole has been a no show, and that Folty went from starting in the playoffs to looking like a soft tosser. That’s two really good pitchers. Felix also opted out. They set themselves up to not need ANY young pitchers at first. They were going to give these guys time in the minors to develop.

Remember these young guys haven’t gotten the time they are used to and desperately need. I’m not surprised they do not look very hot. They need Pitching time that they aren’t getting.

So, it’s really early to call all these guys busts and trade them away for a tad above average pitcher. Three of our top five prospects are NOT pitchers, so it’s not like we our rebuild depends on our pitchers. It has more to do with Covid and really, really, bad luck...which as a Brave fan...I’m pretty used to.

I might also add that we have two minor league catchers right now that probably doesn’t help things.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-29-2020 at 10:14 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-29-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    this is the perfect year to let the kids pitch and see what they've got. who really cares about this season
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (07-29-2020), jpx7 (07-29-2020), Runnin (08-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    this is the perfect year to let the kids pitch and see what they've got. who really cares about this season
    This is pretty true. If you lose, no one will notice much, and, even if you win it all, it will be minimized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Go get DeGrom, AA.
    Ivermectin Man

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2020), UNCBlue012 (07-30-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    This is pretty true. If you lose, no one will notice much, and, even if you win it all, it will be minimized.
    Disagree.

2020 will be remembered greatly because of the uniqueness.

Flags fly forever. Any franchise and city worth their salt wants to win . . . badly.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    This season seems the perfect year to test the youngsters. All you need to do is be average and make the playoffs. You don't run into that issue of having to watch seasonal innings buildup numbers. We have a very strong bullpen so we can better cover many of the issues that come with young pitchers. Then we have a veteran we paid big money that should be back by the playoffs.

This season now hinges even more on Soroka and Fried than before. I thought the Chacin signing was goofy but now he slides right in as our current 5th starter. I'd keep using Touki and Tomlin in the bullpen and give Wilson the next needed starts. I actually think I'd trust a Weigel, Davidson, or Anderson start practically more than I currently trust anyone after Soroka, Fried, or Chacin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    With no Folty trading for a moderately priced mid rotation arm with control extending beyond this year makes sense.

One of the Detroit dudes maybe.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    With no Folty trading for a moderately priced mid rotation arm with control extending beyond this year makes sense.

One of the Detroit dudes maybe.
    Yeah, I've been making the assumption, and apparently I'm in the minority on this, that guys with no control past this year would come very cheap in terms of prospect capital because of the shortness and uncertainty of the season. Obviously we'll have to wait to see a deal or two to know if my thinking was correct, or theirs.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I would just give 3 and 4 to Newk and Wright and roll with it. Best case they figure it out, at worse the Braves figure out they can't do it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2020)