Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SP options

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    In this type of season if we can keep cobbling together performances like Ynoa, Wright, Newk piggybacked with Tomlin, Wilson, etc... we might can make it work. I'd be in favor of trying it longish term.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-10-2020), JohnAdcox (08-10-2020), jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    In this type of season if we can keep cobbling together performances like Ynoa, Wright, Newk piggybacked with Tomlin, Wilson, etc... we might can make it work. I'd be in favor of trying it longish term.
    It's only one outing, but I liked what I saw from Ynoa yesterday. He needs to tighten up his delivery as his fastball was sailing, but he pitched "forward" and didn't seem fazed by the whole deal. I think the 7-inning doubleheaders are made for us.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-10-2020), jpx7 (08-10-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Ray is certainly an upgrade over what we are putting out there right now.
    You might be an upgrade to some of what we've seen.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020), zbhargrove (08-10-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm sure MadBum would be available.
    Only four more years left on his contract after this year....ouch. What a albatross.

Gausman has actually done ok with San Fran.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It's frustrating to watch the kids struggle, but I mentioned feeling like one of the steps we've skipped over from a development standpoint is sticking with them and boosting their confidence by showing some commitment to them. Touki and Wright certainly flashed things to be a little excited about in their last outings - Touki getting to see that he can be dominant when he's aggressive with the fastball and throwing strikes, and Wright bouncing back to get through 6 innings despite giving up the two gopher balls. The only thing keeping me from getting really excited about those two starts was Snit's decision to send Touki back out - hopefully AA has roasted his *ss about that.

We KNOW what Ray/Minor/Boyd are already, and we can be relatively sure they won't be traded in the next two weeks. Give Touki and Wright three more starts WITHOUT an early hook unless they're just getting killed and let's see what they do with them. Hamels has been cleared to start working again, so he could provide an option during the playoffs. Anderson could become a sneaky option as well since no one's seen him yet. If Touki and Wright don't continue to show improvement, then I'd consider a trade if I were AA, but considering how good this offense and pen are we may only need to get 4 innings out of the #3 and #4 slots in a playoff series.

If that's the case, keep everybody. With Soroka and Anderson added next year, you could be in a position to plug Pache and Waters in in the OF and seriously splurge on Bauer and bringing back Ozuna to DH - especially if Bauer's still happy with signing short-term or year-to-year deals. Bauer/Fried/Soroka and all the options we have piggybacking in the final two slots could be really dangerous. With Hamels, Melancon, and Folty off the books there's not really a reason we couldn't afford that - particularly if AA can find a taker for Ender and part of his salary.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Joe Musgrove is the type of pitcher I think AA should target. A decent back end of the rotation guy to give us some innings. I think he's a guy the Pirates might move as he's entering arb next season and the Pirates are nowhere near being competitive. He's struggling a bit early this season, but in a way you wouldn't expect, as his control is usually pretty good. Actually, the Pirates have a few options that might be worthwhile.
    thank you weso1!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Dylan Bundy would be a good option to look into....

Currently pitching for the Angels who are last in their division. He is 2-1 with a 2.08 ERA 25k/2 BB 0.60 WHIP
    Get off my lawn!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Joe Musgrove is the type of pitcher I think AA should target. A decent back end of the rotation guy to give us some innings. I think he's a guy the Pirates might move as he's entering arb next season and the Pirates are nowhere near being competitive. He's struggling a bit early this season, but in a way you wouldn't expect, as his control is usually pretty good. Actually, the Pirates have a few options that might be worthwhile.
    There's just nobody out there worth giving up anything of value for right now.

The Pirates will want SOMETHING for Musgrove - they're not going to give him away because they're worried about what he might get in arbitration, and he's struggling.

The Rangers are dialing back Minor's innings - he may well be hiding an injury AND he's a rental.

Ray got shelled yet again yesterday - even if he's not hiding an injury (as another rental), he may have already thrown in the towel following the MadBum news AND he's pitching for a contract. Do you really want to give up anything for someone with that many questions at the moment when you need to feel like you can count on him to start games in the playoffs?

The same questions that everyone had about Boyd at the deadline last year haven't been answered. If AA didn't feel good enough about giving up anything for him in 2019, how can he now (even though he's not a rental)?

This is the year you cycle through the kids and find out what you've got. The decision on Newk has finally been made (although it took a little too long for some of us) but we just don't KNOW that any of the names that have been floated as potentially "available" at this point are for sure better than Touki, Wright, Davidson, Wilson, or Weigel if you're only counting on them for short stints. AA has shown that he learned how to juggle guys like that on the shuttle when he was in LA. You've got two guys in Gwinnett that you know are better than Minor/Ray/Boyd when they're right in Hamels and Folty, and 6 weeks to get them ready to give you 6 innings, plus the absolute wildcard that Anderson represents.

If there's not a difference-maker out there to be had (does Luhnow see all their injuries as the writing on the wall and decide to pull the plug and make Greinke available?), trading the potential upside in this system for mediocre starting pitching would be a huge mistake IMO. No one's better suited to utilize a piggyback/Opener system than we are - the DH is likely here to stay, and having Soroka back plus plenty of money to spend in 2021 leaves us set up perfectly.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (08-11-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Dylan Bundy would be a good option to look into....

Currently pitching for the Angels who are last in their division. He is 2-1 with a 2.08 ERA 25k/2 BB 0.60 WHIP
    They're a legitimate threat to make the playoffs for the first time in forever, and they have no pitching other than him. He's going nowhere - Trout would absolutely freak out.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Looks like Wilson is the next to get the call.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-11-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Looks like Wilson is the next to get the call.
    I just don’t think Wilson is a starter in the majors. Haven’t since his first start. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong, but I’d rather see an “lesser known” commodity getting a chance right now.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-11-2020), clvclv (08-11-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I just don’t think Wilson is a starter in the majors. Haven’t since his first start. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong, but I’d rather see an “lesser known” commodity getting a chance right now.
    I wonder if we are about to see the start of a shuttle. Bring up a guy to essentially open, then send him down to get the next guy.

I still don't quite understand the roster rules this year, so not sure how feasible that is.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    A lot of fans really admire Wilson's "bulldog" approach, but I agree that it looks like he's a pitch short to be a quality starter. He tore up the minors during his rapid ascent in 2018, but I didn't think he was ready then (and he probably isn't now).
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-11-2020 at 12:46 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-11-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    A lot of fans really admire Wilson's "bulldog" approach, but I agree that he looks like he's a pitch short to be a quality starter. He tore up the minors during his rapid ascent in 2018, but I didn't think he was ready then (and he probably isn't now).
    i think it's fair to give him a shot. i don't think the leash will be long with the bulldog, tho.
    i'd really like to see him out of the pen. the pen is stacked at the moment however.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    They're a legitimate threat to make the playoffs for the first time in forever, and they have no pitching other than him. He's going nowhere - Trout would absolutely freak out.
    Worst record in the AL is a legitimate threat to make the playoffs? Only in 2020.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-11-2020), jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Probably right, but he’s gonna be a nasty reliever I think. Hopefully he surprises. I have always loved his mentality. Starting at Yankees stadium is brutal though

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    A lot of fans really admire Wilson's "bulldog" approach, but I agree that it looks like he's a pitch short to be a quality starter. He tore up the minors during his rapid ascent in 2018, but I didn't think he was ready then (and he probably isn't now).
    Really do think we're about to see AA run the rotation rather than Snitker.

Snit has had a front row seat to watch Newk implode as a starter for a couple of reasons - 1.) he doesn't have an out pitch or even chase pitch that he gets close enough to the plate to get people off of his straight fastball, and 2.) that he's a "pussycat" rather than a "bulldog" and his location is so bad that the few times he challenges anyone it has to be middle-middle.

I don't disagree that Wilson needs something else to be a legitimate starter - although I'm not completely convinced it has to be a "third pitch", maybe something as simple as mixing two-seamers and four-seamers more effectively. I do think there's a greater chance of him succeeding than there has been with Newk for a good while simply because of that bulldog in him. He's going to come after you, and I do think that we'll be fine if AA juggles Wilson/Weigel/Ynoa/Davidson in the 4th and 5th slots for a month as long as Snitker is told that they are not to see ANY lineup a second time through and Wright and Touki don't see one more than twice NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. Doesn't matter what the pitch count is, how they look or feel, or if they're throwing a gem.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Wilson is exactly what the Braves have a lot of....pitchers who can face 9-18 batters and tag team 5-6 IPs with another similarly talented pitcher. Touki and Matzek should do exactly that tonight.

As long as Snit uses Wilson as such, he can help the Braves win ballgames. If he fails to use these pitchers like this, AA needs to make a move at manager.

It's pretty simple. Pulling a SP in a high leverage spot when their pitch count is 50+ to take advantage of a platoon advantage is not rocket science, and can literally be planned for prior to the game. There are like 5-10 scenarios most likely to occur in a competitive game, and there is no reason every single one of them can't be decided beforehand.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-11-2020 at 03:46 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-11-2020), jpx7 (08-11-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Musgrove on the shelf with triceps inflammation.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ured-list.html

33. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    post deleted
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.