Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SP options

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I just don’t think Wilson is a starter in the majors. Haven’t since his first start. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong, but I’d rather see an “lesser known” commodity getting a chance right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    A lot of fans really admire Wilson's "bulldog" approach, but I agree that it looks like he's a pitch short to be a quality starter. He tore up the minors during his rapid ascent in 2018, but I didn't think he was ready then (and he probably isn't now).
    I still think he has some room to grow into a starter—but you're right he probably wasn't initially ready for prime-time. He's been working on developing a third pitch; no better time than now to see if he can fashion a usable starter's repertoire. One thing I like about him is that, at least throughout his minor-league career, he posted low walk-rates.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-11-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    AA just burst the bubble for me. Said that they are altering Newk's delivery and that he's still in the mix long range.

Said essentially the same thing about Folty. They are trying to build up Folty's weight.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    For whatever it's worth, Wilson apparently is not ready to actually give a start (not sure if everyone saw what Bowman said there). We're bullpenning tomorrow vs the Yankees in some kind of way unless Touki destroys the pen today. Then I'm not sure what we do (and I really won't hold it against him if he gets hammered, I'll just hope it doesn't bleed into the next game).

Folty's not throwing off a mound, he's not an option until potentially next year. Would guess Newcomb won't be either. Not sure it's going to matter what they do with that delivery unless he stops changing that release point. Maybe he can be rebuilt into a decent middle reliever though...sigh, we traded Andrelton for a guy that gave 1 solid SP season and is otherwise a reliever.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Musgrove on the shelf with triceps inflammation.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ured-list.html
    Hmm. I may have a strange power. Let me try it again. We should trade for Jacob Degrom.
    thank you weso1!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020), striker42 (08-12-2020), Tapate50 (08-12-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    When was the last time we had a rotation this bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    '84 and '85 were pretty rough, but we had more than one reliable starter. '87 is the same. I really think this might be one of the all-time worst rotations this organization has had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    We have 1 starting pitcher with a win. That is impressive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-12-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    For whatever it's worth, Wilson apparently is not ready to actually give a start (not sure if everyone saw what Bowman said there). We're bullpenning tomorrow vs the Yankees in some kind of way unless Touki destroys the pen today. Then I'm not sure what we do (and I really won't hold it against him if he gets hammered, I'll just hope it doesn't bleed into the next game).

Folty's not throwing off a mound, he's not an option until potentially next year. Would guess Newcomb won't be either. Not sure it's going to matter what they do with that delivery unless he stops changing that release point. Maybe he can be rebuilt into a decent middle reliever though...sigh, we traded Andrelton for a guy that gave 1 solid SP season and is otherwise a reliever.
    Would be very shocked if Folty is still with us next year. Unless he agrees to a $1M or under deal in his final year of arbitration I can’t see us bringing him back.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    i see where Muller finally broke through the glass ceiling; I swear he's got starter stuff. Now if they'd just go ahead and pop the seal on the Anderson package and get on with his MLB education...

I was wrong (shocker, I know). It was Minter who mopped up Monday. Gah
    Last edited by rico43; 08-12-2020 at 10:44 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-12-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wilson is exactly what the Braves have a lot of....pitchers who can face 9-18 batters and tag team 5-6 IPs with another similarly talented pitcher. Touki and Matzek should do exactly that tonight.

As long as Snit uses Wilson as such, he can help the Braves win ballgames. If he fails to use these pitchers like this, AA needs to make a move at manager.

It's pretty simple. Pulling a SP in a high leverage spot when their pitch count is 50+ to take advantage of a platoon advantage is not rocket science, and can literally be planned for prior to the game. There are like 5-10 scenarios most likely to occur in a competitive game, and there is no reason every single one of them can't be decided beforehand.
    I agree. I would be really curious for us to try this strategy. It seems like TOuki, Wright, Newk and Wilson fit in the 1 time through bucket. At least for now. Maybe one of them grows more.

My main question is where is Tucker Davidson. If he doesn't pitch now, doesn't taht say he's not worth his 40 man slot? He's on the 40 man and 24 I think. If he isn't valuable now as a starter then he can't be a real person of value on our team, right? I thought maybe there was a chance they didn't want 3 lefties in the rotation, I think it's a dumb reason but Braves. Now Newk is out so where is Tucker?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    i see where Muller finally broke through the glass ceiling; I swear he's got starter stuff. Now if they'd just go ahead and pop the seal on the Anderson package and get on with his MLB education...

I was wrong (shocker, I know). It was Minter who mopped up Monday. Gah
    I'm sure others have said it but Anderson has real issues. Not on the 40 man. Struggled with the new ball in AAA. Seemed like many were downgrading his stuff a grade across the board. If he's not as good as drafted and shown in early levels, better to trade him in the off-season w/o any exposure to major league hitters and STATCast.

PS...Has anyone heard about the ball? Is it the same as last year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm sure others have said it but Anderson has real issues. Not on the 40 man. Struggled with the new ball in AAA. Seemed like many were downgrading his stuff a grade across the board. If he's not as good as drafted and shown in early levels, better to trade him in the off-season w/o any exposure to major league hitters and STATCast.

PS...Has anyone heard about the ball? Is it the same as last year?
    color me surprised that a 21 year old struggled in his first taste of AAA. especially with the huge sample of 24.2 innings we have.
    who downgraded his stuff? FG has him as a 55 from this offseason....
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    color me surprised that a 21 year old struggled in his first taste of AAA. especially with the huge sample of 24.2 innings we have.
    who downgraded his stuff? FG has him as a 55 from this offseason....
    if you are not surprised at this struggles, then I assume you are not advocating him in MLB then. Limited AAA innings as you stated and MLB is better than AAA.

I'd have to find the articles. As I recall there were many many discussions about his spin rates. And I recall people were calling him a mid rotation guy vs an impact guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    if you are not surprised at this struggles, then I assume you are not advocating him in MLB then. Limited AAA innings as you stated and MLB is better than AAA.

I'd have to find the articles. As I recall there were many many discussions about his spin rates. And I recall people were calling him a mid rotation guy vs an impact guy.
    the spin rate stuff has been talked about, yes. it's very unclear how legit it is.
    FG put a 50/55 on his CB despite them being the ones to cite his spin rate (one time..in a chat...). so clearly they aren't sold on that number, and it's been effective in the minors.
    Anderson has basically always struggled at new levels before settling down. look at his game log from last year in AA. he got a ton better outside his first few starts.
    basically, there's not nearly enough evidence that Anderson's CB has position-player like spin, and in all likelihood, it doesn't.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the spin rate stuff has been talked about, yes. it's very unclear how legit it is.
    FG put a 50/55 on his CB despite them being the ones to cite his spin rate (one time..in a chat...). so clearly they aren't sold on that number, and it's been effective in the minors.
    Anderson has basically always struggled at new levels before settling down. look at his game log from last year in AA. he got a ton better outside his first few starts.
    basically, there's not nearly enough evidence that Anderson's CB has position-player like spin, and in all likelihood, it doesn't.
    I just want to see Anderson so we can have an answer.

I'm tired of wondering about this black box.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I would be shocked if a professional pitcher has a 1700 RPM spin rate breaking ball. Count me among those who doubt that value, even if it’s the only one we have.

FG lists that value on his prospect page, and all those values typically come from some scout or FO connection telling EL a value because the guys at FG certainly don’t have access to MiLB statcast data.

Rest assured all MLB FOs do though, so if his spin rate is truly that bad it isn’t going to catch any other team off guard. Most teams wouldn’t even touch a guy with spin rates that low, so if true, his trade value is near 0. I just have a hard time believing a guy without a breaking ball can strike out 10+ per 9 over the course of several MiLB seasons.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-13-2020 at 07:15 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I would be shocked if a professional pitcher has a 1700 RPM spin rate breaking ball. Count me among those who doubt that value, even if it’s the only one we have.

FG lists that value on his prospect page, and all those values typically come from some scout or FO connection telling EL a value because the guys at FG certainly don’t have access to MiLB statcast data.

Rest assured all MLB FOs do though, so if his spin rate is truly that bad it isn’t going to catch any other team off guard. Most teams wouldn’t even touch a guy with spin rates that low, so if true, his trade value is near 0. I just have a hard time believing a guy without a breaking ball can strike out 10+ per 9 over the course of several MiLB seasons.
    His spin is so slow it's a modern day knuckle ball.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2020)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Where's Carter Stewart when you need him?

Seriously, how bad do you need to be as a pitching organization to go through years of rebuild and trot out what we're seeing on an everyday basis. Sure, Soroka has paid off well, until injury. And Fried looks to be pretty solid, maybe even approaching Soroka level. But come on.

And then I hear Frenchy and cokie talking the other night with dodo and advocating slowing speeds down, learning to pitch, not focusing on the gun, hitting your spots, yada yada while discussing the merits of 11 year veteran Josh Tomlin and the need for young guys to emulate him. No wonder the Braves are where pitching goes to die now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Where's Carter Stewart when you need him?

Seriously, how bad do you need to be as a pitching organization to go through years of rebuild and trot out what we're seeing on an everyday basis. Sure, Soroka has paid off well, until injury. And Fried looks to be pretty solid, maybe even approaching Soroka level. But come on.

And then I hear Frenchy and cokie talking the other night with dodo and advocating slowing speeds down, learning to pitch, not focusing on the gun, hitting your spots, yada yada while discussing the merits of 11 year veteran Josh Tomlin and the need for young guys to emulate him. No wonder the Braves are where pitching goes to die now.
    yes, because the team takes advice from chip, frenchy, and byrd....

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    If there are really big questions about Anderson, he needs to be traded now while his value is the highest it can possibly be. Would a Anderson, Waters + package get us In the Degrom conversation?