Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember Kyle Lewis?

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts

Remember Kyle Lewis?

The kid from Snellville and Mercer who I really wanted instead of what we took in Anderson, Wentz, and Muller.

Lewis is batting .448 with 2 HR and 7 RBI for the Mariners. I believe he leads baseball in hits.

Really early but he's a legitimate ROY candidate.

The advanced metrics suggest he could be a prime Yoenis Cespedes type player.

Sure would be nice to have him instead of what we got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    The Coppolella nerd was such a massive failure in every way.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    No player has ever started hot and not flamed out. He is a sure hall of famer after this hot start.
    Coppy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Super (07-31-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Could have also had Alonso in the 2nd round. Oh well, that’s how drafts work out.

Plus, we could have only had Lewis instead of Anderson. It’s not like we drafted 3 players before Lewis was off the board. We picked 3rd and Lewis went 11th.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-31-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Could have also had Alonso in the 2nd round. Oh well, that’s how drafts work out.

Plus, we could have only had Lewis instead of Anderson. It’s not like we drafted 3 players before Lewis was off the board. We picked 3rd and Lewis went 11th.
    There were multiple posters, Enscheff most notably, who rightly decried the Braves' drafting strategy under Coppy.

Taking arms, especially HS arms, over bats is not the best strategy for a rebuild.

The Cubs and Astros did an excellent job at rebuilding, even if the Cubs made some mistakes once they became good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ24 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Thankfully Frank Wren signed Ozzie Albies and Ronald Acuna, or we'd be up a total **** creek.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    There were multiple posters, Enscheff most notably, who rightly decried the Braves' drafting strategy under Coppy.

Taking arms, especially HS arms, over bats is not the best strategy for a rebuild.

The Cubs and Astros did an excellent job at rebuilding, even if the Cubs made some mistakes once they became good.
    I can’t think of anyone who wanted Anderson. Some justified the pick with the other two taken as a good bet. But I recall myself and a lot others wanting Lewis. But it is silly to declare it a mistake after a small handful of games where he is frenchy hot.

And yes coppy was a failure as a GM. When I first heard him it was on the radio and I thought it was a woman talking. He always seemed like he was feeding us BS. But honestly I don’t think he had the final decisions on that draft. The other 2 johns and Bobby probably had more to do with all the pitchers being taken. Gotta relive the 90’s somehow right.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Yeah Lewis' 733 BABIP is for real

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-31-2020), jpx7 (07-31-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah Lewis' 733 BABIP is for real
    That's definitely not real. Nobody is saying he's going to hit .448.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    That's definitely not real. Nobody is saying he's going to hit .448.
    So why should we care about him because it's 7 games?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-31-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I can't express how badly I wanted Lewis, and how angry I was when Anderson was drafted instead. The knee injury he suffered has made it hard to evaluate him, and a few MLB games certainly isn't proof of anyone being "right", but I will stand behind my preference forever.

Of course, I was all on board for the Wright pick because I viewed him as clearly superior to any hitter available. I understood the Allard pick a gamble on a recovering LHP who flashed better stuff they were hoping would stick. I had no idea who Soroka was, and he obviously turned out pretty damn good. I liked the Stewart pick, though I feel if I had known about his medical concerns (something all teams should know before making such a high pick) I wouldn't have been in favor of the pick. So it's not always as black and white as "HS arms bad, hitters good".

Coppy's tenure with this club was an unmitigated disaster, and I declared it as such as it was happening. Folks around here talked about how awesome he was, and berated me for calling him incompetent. After he crashed and burned, it became popular to bash him, as if folks hadn't spent the last couple years pimping how great he was.

Coppy fooled a bunch of dinosaur execs into thinking he was intelligent because he could quote stats like wRC+, which were created by analysts in the public sphere...analysts who have all been hired into MLB FOs themselves. Coppy wasn't intelligent, and was nothing more than a 12 year old impressing his grandparents because he could program the DVR that mystified them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    So why should we care about him because it's 7 games?
    So you are contending 7 games is a meaningless sample size?

Hell, he's probably produced more WAR in 7 games than Anderson, Wentz, or Muller ever will.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts

Hell, he's probably produced more WAR in 7 games than Anderson, Wentz, or Muller ever will.
    lmao

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Super (07-31-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Anderson is one of the best prospects in the game. He may turn out to never be anything special, but to proclaim that will PROBABLY never produce more WAR than what Lewis has produced in 7 games is borderline retarded.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Can we trade Acuna for him??? Ought to be able to save some money that way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Well if doing the math, its actually about 18.9 games
    Get off my lawn!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2020)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    He was also hot To end the season last year. Still a small sample but more promise than if it was just this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    He was also hot To end the season last year. Still a small sample but more promise than if it was just this year.
    He has really improved since last season, too. His approach is more contact-oriented while letting his power come naturally.

He is hitting the ball hard consistently and has hit zero fly balls. I think something like 79% of his batted balls have been straight or oppo.

His O-swing % is down to 24 from 36.

Still striking out a lot, which I hope improves before it stabilizes.

Really promising start and a fun player to watch.

I got him at +4000 odds to win Rookie of the Year before the season started based on my own thoughts and stuff Edgar Martinez said.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Maybe Kyle Lewis does end up having a better career than Ian Anderson, but this sure is dumb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can't express how badly I wanted Lewis, and how angry I was when Anderson was drafted instead. The knee injury he suffered has made it hard to evaluate him, and a few MLB games certainly isn't proof of anyone being "right", but I will stand behind my preference forever.

Of course, I was all on board for the Wright pick because I viewed him as clearly superior to any hitter available. I understood the Allard pick a gamble on a recovering LHP who flashed better stuff they were hoping would stick. I had no idea who Soroka was, and he obviously turned out pretty damn good. I liked the Stewart pick, though I feel if I had known about his medical concerns (something all teams should know before making such a high pick) I wouldn't have been in favor of the pick. So it's not always as black and white as "HS arms bad, hitters good".

Coppy's tenure with this club was an unmitigated disaster, and I declared it as such as it was happening. Folks around here talked about how awesome he was, and berated me for calling him incompetent. After he crashed and burned, it became popular to bash him, as if folks hadn't spent the last couple years pimping how great he was.

Coppy fooled a bunch of dinosaur execs into thinking he was intelligent because he could quote stats like wRC+, which were created by analysts in the public sphere...analysts who have all been hired into MLB FOs themselves. Coppy wasn't intelligent, and was nothing more than a 12 year old impressing his grandparents because he could program the DVR that mystified them.
    I was on the Lewis over Anderson bandwagon too. Still am.